List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2022-->

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key dates attached so we know what’s going on when.

• Friday 30 September at 9.00am
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency and Unrestricted Free Agency Period commences
Monday 03 October at 9.00am
  • AFL Trade Period commences – Players & Selections
Friday 07 October at 5.00pm
  • Close of AFL Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period.
Monday 10 October
  • AFL Draft Nominations open (9am)
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency Matching Offer 3 Day Period Ends (5pm)
Wednesday 12 October at 7.30pm
  • AFL Trade Period closes – players and selections
Thursday 03 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) commences
Wednesday 09 November at 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) closes
Friday 11 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) commences
Tuesday 15 November by 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) closes
  • AFL Trade Period closes – selections only
Monday 21 November by 3.00pm
  • AFL Draft Nominations close
Monday 28 November at 7.10pm
  • 2022 AFL Draft Round One (Venue TBC)
  • Father/Son, Academy & NGA and Players Bidding opens.
Tuesday 29 November
  • AFL Trade Period – selections only (5.45pm to 6.30pm)
  • 2022 AFL National Draft Round two until completion (7pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period opens (10pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) commences (10pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period closes (11pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) closes (11pm)
Wednesday 30 November
  • AFL Pre-Season Draft (3pm, online)
  • AFL Rookie Draft (3.20pm, online)
Thursday 01 December by 4.00pm
  • Final AFL Club List Lodgement

Presuming someone took that deal, I don't think it's a good idea to trade multiple 1st rounders for one draft age key forward.

Eh I'd do it, we're in serious contention for the flag and Cadman is way more polished than Jefferson/Keeler.

I think you'll find they'd be happy with essentially getting Grundy for Jackson, given that they are absolutely in win now mode.

They're probably going to blow it up a few years down the track anyway once they're out of the window, so it's not like they're committing to Grundy'a full number for the 7 years either (he will probably end up back in SA for the twilight of his career one way or another).

Let's also not forget the TPP is going to rocket up after the stupid money the AFL got for the TV rights this time around, so his number isn't going to look anywhere near as bad a couple of years from now than it did a last year when he signed the deal and it looked like the cap would shrink if anything.
I'm way behind in the thread but interested in this concept. When Grundy's contract was being debated before signed one argument was the cap/player payments are always growing. Then covid and whatever. Seems clubs have to gamble on the economy as well as everything else. I wonder if club's should negotiate for a percentage of TPP rather than a fixed amount.

Eh I'd do it, we're in serious contention for the flag and Cadman is way more polished than Jefferson/Keeler.

A draft age key forward won't help. It's likely to a number of yrs for a draft age key forward to deliver.

Rather take Keeler and 1-2 other firsts

I'm not sure we are in the position to take a high risk prospect like Keeler, at least with a high pick. We need to really nail these early picks for our next generation which is a tad thin. Keeler is obviously talented, but i watched him in a few games and he is extremely laconic and looks like's playing in the park on a Sunday afternoon. Does he have the natural intensity and physicality to make it in his position at the highest level? His body shape as an 18 year old playing sport is also a bit of a question mark for me. Cal Twomey has him at 29 on his latest form guide, so for a guy with his tools to not be lower there's probably some question marks with recruiters as well.

Will leave it to the experts, maybe those who know him might actually see he's the most driven competitive kid, but I don't know. As a later pick I'd happy to give him a crack but I suspect he goes to one of the Adelaide clubs. We badly need KP talent but brining him in as the great white hope isn't it, imo.

I saw it reported Thomas was staying because of Clarkson. This mornings news may change things.

I'd be all over him if I was Wrighty - oozes class in spades, just needs the right environment to get the best out of himself.

He's the sort of mercurial talent who can get you a (dare I say it) Dusty-style 20-25 touches and 2-3 goals in a final that we're lacking a bit of.

A draft age key forward won't help. It's likely to a number of yrs for a draft age key forward to deliver.
The other point is that these are all 18 year old kids.
Last year Lemmey was the new Carey (minus the white powder), but he has more or less fallen off the radar.
If Cadman is the pick of the litter now, will he still be in 5 years?
If we do end up with 3 1st round picks, it would be safer to hedge our bets & pick 3 promising youngsters.
JHF was supposed to be a star (and may well be), but his first season has been problematic.
Only Nick has been a gold plated certainty.

Yep if Ollie's not there then he's out the door already (pretty much the first sign that someone is leaving is them not being at the players get together), Ash coming on so well probably has more than a bit to do with it from the club's perspective.

It's a shame though, because Ollie + Ash + a decent tall KPF could have grown into a tall forward trio which could have complimented each other for us in really nice (read dangerous) way looking ahead.

Last year Lemmey was the new Carey (minus the white powder), but he has more or less fallen off the radar.
If we do end up with 3 1st round picks, it would be safer to hedge our bets & pick 3 promising youngsters.
JHF was supposed to be a star (and may well be), but his first season has been problematic.
People always believe the hype. There are a fair amount of top 10 key position players who have turned out pretty average. At the time, some might have said we should have traded 3 lower picks to get high to pick Josh Shache. Only reason I could see us trading up would be if we got more draft picks than players we intended to take. If we somehow ended up with 3 first, I'd be happy to take a higher first and 1 lower through a 2 for 1 trade.

I'm way behind in the thread but interested in this concept. When Grundy's contract was being debated before signed one argument was the cap/player payments are always growing. Then covid and whatever. Seems clubs have to gamble on the economy as well as everything else. I wonder if club's should negotiate for a percentage of TPP rather than a fixed amount.

A percentage of TPP is essentially what they have in mind when negotiating yearly numbers over the length of a contract.

There aren't many players who warrant getting an actual fixed percentage of TPP which I'd guess would tend to favour the player in pretty much every year in recent memory bar 2020-21 given how the broadcast rights numbers and fan revenue keep increasing over time.

Pendles was one of course but I'd suspect there might be a small handful of (loyal) players over the years who may have been on similar arrangements.

People always believe the hype. There are a fair amount of top 10 key position players who have turned out pretty average. At the time, some might have said we should have traded 3 lower picks to get high to pick Josh Shache. Only reason I could see us trading up would be if we got more draft picks than players we intended to take. If we somehow ended up with 3 first, I'd be happy to take a higher first and 1 lower through a 2 for 1 trade.
Yes. A tall forward & an inside mid. Once we elevate Noble and bring in other players we may only need 2 draft picks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As an aside I'd still be very much all over Lemmey if he falls to our first pick.

Hasn't had the most outstanding year but he's had to play some reserves and I think a couple of senior games for a Bloods outfit that was pretty average at best (wooden spoon in seniors although they did make the prelim in the reserves and Lemmey played in their last two finals) and we know it always helps a prospect look good if their team has had a successful year especially at U18 level.

As an aside I'd still be very much all over Lemmey if he falls to our first pick.

Hasn't had the most outstanding year but he's had to play some reserves and I think a couple of senior games for a Bloods outfit that was pretty average at best (wooden spoon in seniors although they did make the prelim in the reserves and Lemmey played in their last two finals) and we know it always helps a prospect look good if their team has had a successful year especially at U18 level.
Indeed. His talent hasn't just evaporated. Tall players of his age are prone to a bit of inconsistency. I'd be going for Keeler, but if we miss out on him, Lemmey would be a fine choice. I'd think our SA scouts are keeping a close eye on him.

So, today I see an old client of mine.
He’s been seeing me since he was 9.
He’s now a Richmond Premiership player in his early twenties.
We’ll call him “Bob”.
And so, we are talking how Richmond are right in the frame for next year’s flag, particularly if they land Hopper and Taranto.
I ask him, how the hell are they going to get it done?
He says, “we just will.”
Bob tells me that he’s had his pay cut to allow the GWS boys in, but it will come back (ie back ended).
I asked, “why can’t Collingwood do this.”
He looks at me square and says, “everybody knows Richmond pays less but everybody still wants to come to us because they got a chance to win”
He shrugs his shoulders and says,” I suppose it all depends on what’s important to you.”
And so, there you have it.
There is the difference between Richmond and us and everybody else.
And that is what Fly and GW are trying to create.
And there is the difference between “Bob” and Brodie Grundy.

Yep if Ollie's not there then he's out the door already (pretty much the first sign that someone is leaving is them not being at the players get together), Ash coming on so well probably has more than a bit to do with it from the club's perspective.

It's a shame though, because Ollie + Ash + a decent tall KPF could have grown into a tall forward trio which could have complimented each other for us in really nice (read dangerous) way looking ahead.
What about Ash? he isn't there either is he?

What about Ash? he isn't there either is he?
He was. But Jamie Elliott wasn't neither was WHE

Lets not judge without knowing the reasons. Maybe he isn't feeling well. We simply do not know.

Grundy was there, and we know he is leaving.

Falls to our first? Mate, he’s not even inside most watchers top 30 anymore…

We’ll call him “Bob”.
And so, we are talking how Richmond are right in the frame for next year’s flag, particularly if they land Hopper and Taranto.
He says, “we just will.”
Bob tells me that he’s had his pay cut to allow the GWS boys in, but it will come back (ie back ended).
He looks at me square and says, “everybody knows Richmond pays less but everybody still wants to come to us because they got a chance to win”
He shrugs his shoulders and says,” I suppose it all depends on what’s important to you.”

Cool story bro and one persons opinion

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cadman will be a top 3-5 draft pick. No one is going to give us one of those picks.
FFS thank you. Spinny's been banging on about it for weeks.

It's NOT going to happen.

We’ll call him “Bob”.
He says, “we just will.”
And then everyone clapped. Not only is this fake, but the idea that cutting your young loyal players wages to fit in outside overpaid recruits is laughable.

FFS thank you. Spinny's been banging on about it for weeks.

It's NOT going to happen.
Whilst I agree to a point, the top 5 is far from locked at this point. At this stage last year, Cal Twomey had Arlo Draper ranked at about 5 or 6 iirc…

The “trade up for x player” scenarios are largely redundant until after the season is over, once there is a little more clarity around draft rankings.

Falls to our first? Mate, he’s not even inside most watchers top 30 anymore…

Geez he has slipped then hasn't he. All the more reason to be all over him if we can get him in with a later pick.

Watched some of Keeler's work just now and he looks very good also, can understand why a few here are bullish on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back