List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade Talk 2016 part 2 - see Mod Warning p 281

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sòooo, to summarise the article by Gleeson and Baum:
Wells is 'seriously contemplating a strong push from Collingwood'...
we are 'among several teams to have met with ... Mayne'...
and 'The Magpies are also very keen on ... Marchbank'.
Meanwhile, on the other side of the ledger:
(Free agency) 'could also see ...Nathan Brown move to Arden Street'.
I like seeing Marchbank as a name more than a few others we've been linked to. He'll probably go to Carlton, but let's make sure they pay full price.

I like seeing Marchbank as a name more than a few others we've been linked to. He'll probably go to Carlton, but let's make sure they pay full price.
Yep, likely Carlton, as we keep hearing, but if we really do rate him highly (never seen him myself) maybe we can push it along. I guess it depends on other potential trades and what GWS might think of Witts.

If Wells could replicate his 2016 next year with us, it would improve us enormously. Who gets tagged? Wells, Pendlebury, Treloar, Sidebottom? Can't tag them all. He will cop it every week at North. Having said that, I imagine he will come to terms at NM. Again, probably just Collingwood being used to leverage a better deal. And with the PR disaster of Harvey etc being let go, I doubt NM will allow Wells to waltz out the door to a rival for free.

A lot of people complaining on potentially recruiting older players. I dont see the issue. We've lost a lot of experience at the older end of the team, if we get some quality old blokes cheap for 1-2 years it puts pressure on the young kids to perform to take their spot. Blokes like De Goey will have to step their game up even more to not be pushed aside by Wells/Mayne.

Its too widely accepted that young guys should just be played and given experience, thats all well and good, but they also have to earn a spot. Do you think someone like NDS would be pissed off half way through next season getting dropped because Smith/Sinclair/Ramsey/Sharenberg types have worked their arse off to take their game to a new level to push him out of the side?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Wells is a straight up replacement for Swan and is there anyone out there that honestly didn't want Swan to go on?

A guy that's equally capable inside and out, he adds a bit of silk through the middle and will find it 20+ times a week. If his body checks out this one works for me and if his current club are offering 2 years at $1.1 million I'd be pretty confident he's going to get through a medical.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else think that if Swan played this year that we would of snuck into the 8?

It's a no for me unfortunately we were a long way off it!

I also neglected to mention that bringing Wells in probably squeezes Greenwood out of a midfield role which will be a massive bonus.

Last edited:
It's a no for me unfortunately we were a long way off it!

I also neglected to mention that bringing Wells in probably squeezes Greenwood out of a midfield role which will be a massive bonus.
Swan could have been the difference in games we lost to:
Carlton, Hawks, dogs x2 and tigers.

5 wins

Swan could have been the difference in games we lost to:
Carlton, Hawks, dogs x2 and tigers.

5 wins

This isn't the NBA lol. One man can't have that much impact unless their name is Dangerfield!

It would also be a horrible sign for the list that 5 wins came on the back of a 32yo. If you'd like to look for five more wins I can highlight 3 areas for you.

1. Red time goals
2. Defensive structure/ zoning early season
3. Clearance work

That stuffs fixable so vastly more crucial to improved performance than a focus on one man being the difference.

Edit: I think I know where you're going with it and you don't need to convince me.

I met Swanny in my dream last night. I asked him how he thought we'd go and reminded him to be honest, he replied "depends what insert incoherent mumbling of name here does". Satisfied with his answer I proceeded to climb the pole in front of him so that my feet were at about the same height as his head, I then accidentally dangled them in his face, at this point I realised I had no shoes on and I apologised profusely. I was so embarrassed and keen to move the conversation on so I asked him if he knew a player and that I got on the piss with him last off season.

At this point I woke up and tried to remember who he'd said it would depend what he does but it was already too late, that part of the dream was already becoming a blur. Anyway, still some tasty morsels in there for those keen to sink their teeth into a few whispers.

Edit: oh he also said something about De Goey at some stage, to which I laughed and pretty much just asked a question to confirm I was picking up what he was putting down. At this point Swanny just went quiet, I assume because he knew I was going to tell someone.

Last edited:
If Wells came across and plays a few games of similar quality to the one he played against us this year, it'll help us snag an extra win or two. In which case it's a yes from me.

As for anyone saying any potential trade reeks of desperation from Buckley, don't be stupid. The list management team wouldn't let a senior coach risk the next 5 years just to "make a final" or two.

If Wells could replicate his 2016 next year with us, it would improve us enormously. Who gets tagged? Wells, Pendlebury, Treloar, Sidebottom? Can't tag them all. He will cop it every week at North. Having said that, I imagine he will come to terms at NM. Again, probably just Collingwood being used to leverage a better deal. And with the PR disaster of Harvey etc being let go, I doubt NM will allow Wells to waltz out the door to a rival for free.

Unless they end up thinking that they need hartlett in and want to swing at an OMeara and hence need the $$

If Wells came across and plays a few games of similar quality to the one he played against us this year, it'll help us snag an extra win or two. In which case it's a yes from me.

As for anyone saying any potential trade reeks of desperation from Buckley, don't be stupid. The list management team wouldn't let a senior coach risk the next 5 years just to "make a final" or two.

What if it is the coach and the president pushing for it?

The real issue in getting Wells / NDS / Mayne for me is whose expense is it at.

So if Wells comes are we happy that effectively may push Broomhead out the door?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back