List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade Talk 2016 Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever I read of another potential, but questionable, new prospect for us, I apply the Gault/Gold/Wyatt rule. Would [insert new name] be more wasteful on our list in 2017, than those guys were in 2016? Without being disrespectful to them, the answer in every case so far has been 'no'.
I'd exclude Wyatt from that. Cat b rookie, doesn't take up cap space, regular list space and was free to pick up. Never a waste for a potential free hit.

Surprised by the point that we are apparently tight on salary cap space for incoming players.

Wells and Mayne should cost us next year around $1.1m (unless they have heavily front-loaded contracts for next year).

We have Cloke, Swan, Toovey, Macaffer, Frost, Marsh, Brown, Witts, Gault, etc. leaving so you'd imagine there would be still a healthy chunk of money available for new players coming in on top of those already confirmed.

We'd have players earmarked to come in such as Will Hoskins-Elliott, Callum Brown, Josh Daicos and other draftees plus upgraded contracts for rookie promotions such as Josh Smith and maybe Mason Cox.

Reckon we may have a player or two more that we are looking at bringing in based on our salary cap position.
We may well have front ended contracts knowing that next year we'll have a 1st round pick (hopefully not too low) and that it's looking like a great draft year. No problems there, though. If we need to back end a smallish contract like what Dunn is supposedly being offered, that won't cause us any harm.

No, but if they're going to let our first choice full back for the better part of the last 6 years walk out you'd assume that they had something better than Dunn up their sleeve.

I don't think we even had him up our sleeves. The fact that he was only having a meeting at the holden centre today, two days before trade week ends shows how desperately we've been scrambling. So disappointing to see the club so disorganised when it's the last thing you want to be at this time of the year.

Some quotes from the Leigh Brown thread when news broke that he was coming to us.

"Pity he's a useless player."
"Taking Brown ruined a otherwise great draft day, complete and utter dud I will shudder every time the ball goes near him if he's playing in the backline and have flashbacks to Jason Wild."
"Woo hoo, a VFL full back."
"This pick stinks on Mick Malthouse having his say in the draft ala Toovey."

Not much has changed. The only worthwhile words uttered in opposition to the Mayne and Dunn recruitment are those that mention how they are moves sideways rather than forward. Kudos Scodog10. The rest are just...well.....rinse and repeat the above comments.
Shall we go and visit the Quentin Lynch, Jordan Russel, Clinton Young, Patrick Karnezis threads to quote some? We can all make cases after the fact. Look if Dunn comes to Collingwood, he's a Collingwood player and will have my support; however I don't have to agree with the decision to recruit him. If he's recruited it's not for depth, that's clear for me. I'm still dumbfounded about the hope placed on Keeffe holding down a best 22 spot when he's been out of footy for so long and wasn't even best 22 prior.

Supporters don't need to agree with every decision the club makes

This is just perfect, this bloke comes in and doesn't rate our list and gets rid of 2 fantastic
footballers in Brown and Frost and chooses to replace them with duds like Dunne and possibly
Silvagni and then takes a 4 year holiday

Still needs to happen, the more I have read peoples comments on here about the suspension the more unlikely I think it will happen.

I think some people need to calm down and remember that not everything you read or hear in the media is correct.

There'd be journalists out there guessing what players are worth what, same as what happens on here. And because a trade hasn't happened yet, the same journalist will make an assumption that Club X is probably offering pick Y whereas Club Z don't think that's enough.

Simple fact is there are some big trades yet to be done, in particular the O'Meara, Prestia and Gibbs trades. These will have a serious domino effect. Clubs like Richmond, Adelaide, Hawthorn etc won't want to compromise getting these trades done by doing other dealings and jeopardising their currency.

It was said on day one that we were on the same page as Brisbane with regards to Jack Frost. We haven't heard anything since, because I doubt we've even spoken to them again. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that we've had only preliminary discussions with some clubs, GCS being another.

Heard lots of people on Trade Radio today criticising Richmond for not having done the Prestia trade yet. "They've managed to have a player come out and request to go there in August and yet, after 6.5 days nothing has happened," etc.

So dramatic. They want to get people like us riled up to the point where we read articles, ring them up and engage. People forget that we hadn't done the Treloar trade last year until COB Wednesday, and by all reports we knew he was coming to us mid year.

Only 11 trades have happened this year so far. I could be wrong in saying this, but only 18 of the 34 that happened last year were completed by this point in time.

The article in the age written by Quayle and Gleeson says Witts "will" go to the GC for Pick 44 and a bit more. That's strong enough for me. :(
Just looked it up - thanks.

For those interested:
On Witts:
'Collingwood will trade pick Jarrod Witts to Gold Coast for pick 44, with the Pies to get a bit back in return'.
On Frost:
'Brisbane Lions are committed to trading for Collingwood defender Jack Frost and may need to use a future pick.'

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...sed-to-land-dion-prestia-20161018-gs51ll.html

So many over reactions to movements in this thread

Witts, Frost, Cloke, N.Brown, Toovey, Macaffer none of these blokes would be best 22 players none will be missed.

Wells replaces Swan, who was best 22 but we obviously didn't hv him on the park in 2016 so a big win

Mayne most likely will be a best 22 option, despite many already writing him off, so a good addition.

Dunn, if we get him, isn't necessarily required to be best 22, as some other poster mentioned it is a sideways trade...as he will replace lost depth

Only loss so far being Marsh, and he isn't even officially out the door yet!!?

Our top line team from 2016 will be strengthened by the addition of Wells, Mayne is a good option and then there is the belief that Elliott and S.Berg will be two bonus additions at either end of the ground.

The sky isn't falling, we have allowed players with poor skills to walk out and brought in players with better skills.

Winning

Hutchins would be a good one to rookie. Ripper bloke to boot.

I don't mind the Dunn selection... We needed immediate depth and he gives us that for nothing. We just need to draft someone to develop.

Yes a KPP to develop any moore father sons that are ?

No, but if they're going to let our first choice full back for the better part of the last 6 years walk out you'd assume that they had something better than Dunn up their sleeve.
I've been alone for a long time in never rating Brown, but I reckon we've upgraded at a cheaper price in terms of salary cap. I reckon it's good list management.

If the AFL suspends Allen, what do u expect ED to do? Take it to court?

I expect a wet lettuce punishment of 3 months after trade period has been finalised.........anything more then Eddie has lost all his power in my eyes and like I said he should leave our Club.

We have become a joke since 2011 and people here are looking to blame Gubby for our incompetence?

Happy trade week people enjoy!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gee I hate dealing with GWS. I reckon it's obvious they don't like dealing with us. Out of all the other AFL clubs combines we've cheree picked the most talent. Treloar, Adams, and Elliott, it's any wonder they don't like dealing with us even if we've done some good trades with them in hindsight. We re also very well places to land one of their best players in the coming years and when the 2011 crop are FA's. w***ers will no doubt match offers and force trades though unfortunately with Dave Matthews acting like a pig at the trade table.

Keep hearing this from Melbourne supporters.

"Dunn is really good and will be great for you guys. Pity our game at Melbourne has gone past him and he isn't suited to modern footy. He should be fine in your team though."

Thanks
We play six rebounding defenders, does Collingwood?

Really, I'd rather keep him. Not my club that's going out and recruiting veterans. Just adding to the discussion.

Reminds me of This:

Wow the days of Goldsack and those torps, I hope he stays as he breathes collingwood thru his lungs
I bless that he rejuvenates himself in 2017
Marley Williams , I have no doubt he will see out his career in collingwood , let's just support him through his obstacle
He will find his feet again
Go Marley and Goldy

I'm a horse. In barrier, gate opens, I jump.....

I'd just love to see a deal where we win nicely.

Overall it's ok, I just look at the Cox Plate field and I melt into happiness.....

I thought you would enjoy the gate reference. :D

I just went through 40 pages of catching up to see Dunn is the best we can get which is a bit of a let down....alot of angry people here about it but considering the picks we have what did we think think would actually get? Rance ?

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Nah, we just hoped our Club is slightly better than that at list management, big ask I know...

Might be less painful to sit it out until the season starts, maybe then we can all have an opinion with some substance.
I'm 'happy' to discuss the trade period in more depth once it's over, but I take your point that it may all have more substance once the game actually begins again.

Dunnys' report card in 2014/2015 is as good as anything Reid has pumped out. Dropped off the face of the earth this year only participated in 4 games. I don't think it is a bad choice by old Dekka, I actually think it will work. Can kick too.

How could Gubby and Hine do anything Huge without giving a Gun Player away?

Gun players ? We are fairly limited with them either ;
1) too old to trade see the Hawks
2) Too young and "potential" players

We don't have any "guns" that would get us anything aside from Treloar

What a difference 12 months make. Last year we were full of hope, a couple of high picks and looking forward to Trealoar.
At this stage tomorrow looks rather depressing, apart from Wells can't see us picking any real quality or picks. For morale only hope we at least get Daicos and Brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back