Collingwood - us v them campaign

Remove this Banner Ad

I knew lots of people that wanted the Cats to lose on GF day, I was also one of them. I think a higher % wanted Collingwood to lose because lots of people believed they didnt handle themselves very well after winning it last year, and this Us vs Them mentality grew even more and we were tired of hearing it.

How where they meant to handle it? Most of the players were out of the country within days and the club did nothing out of the ordinary?

Asking the question because I'm unsure not because I'm having a go at you.

Geelong is a nothing club for most supporters, no one really cares if they win the grand final, they might start to care for a few years because of recent success but it will fade again.

Don't pretend you would have the same sort of numbers against you if you were playing an Essendon or a Carlton, the hate would be spread pretty evenly in either case.

People like Geelong because they go about their business with class and modesty not because they are a nothing club. Carlton havenot been good enough to be beaten by us in games that count but I am sure St Kilda, Hawthorn and Collingwood fans would like a win over Geelong more than Essendon or Carlton.

Look how many replys the thread has had and it's still going strong people won't admit it but there are supporters on this site that are more passionate about hating Collingwood then they are about supporting there team

Not hard to see just have an eye out for the usual suspects in a Collingwood thread with one purpose to hate
I've shut up so many Colingwood haters in real life with that line. Pathetic really, anyone who hates another team more than they like their own is sad.

People like Geelong because they go about their business with class and modesty not because they are a nothing club. Carlton havenot been good enough to be beaten by us in games that count but I am sure St Kilda, Hawthorn and Collingwood fans would like a win over Geelong more than Essendon or Carlton.

Geelong is just 'flavour of the month'. Wins against Essendon or Carlton are always more valued.

Geelong is just 'flavour of the month'. Wins against Essendon or Carlton are always more valued.

Since when has a month gone for 5 years?

I hate the Hawks more than any Collingwood side in the history of the world they beat us in Grand Finals 1989 '2008...Collingwood Dont

All I do when it comes to playing Collingwood is laugh.

I thought Eddie and Malthouse were going to turn Collingwood into the "Manchester United of the AFL" got news for you Collingwood Fans, Man Utd win Premierships, think the quote from Eddie Should have been Collingwood will be the Blackburn Rovers of the AFL 1 Premiership in 20 years

It seems to be doing well, Gary Pert has just stated that as of today, the club has 48 K members. No doubt 95% of those are auto debit members, but even so, that is an increase on that base last year.

The more successful clubs are the ones everyone loves to hate. Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon in Victoria, Port Adelaide in Adelaide, West Coast in WA.

Geelong is a nothing club for most supporters, no one really cares if they win the grand final, they might start to care for a few years because of recent success but it will fade again.

Don't pretend you would have the same sort of numbers against you if you were playing an Essendon or a Carlton, the hate would be spread pretty evenly in either case.
What you call 2 premierships in the past 50 years (collingwood) and 1 premiership in the past 22 years (Carlton) successful? Perhaps Successful in 1800 BC when there were 4 clubs in the Competition but not lately. Plus your calling Geelong as a non-successful club and that 'no-one will care about the 3 premierships within 5 years in a couple of decades time'. What will they remember, Fitzroy's premiership in 1944?

I hate the Hawks more than any Collingwood side in the history of the world they beat us in Grand Finals 1989 '2008...Collingwood Dont

I thought Eddie and Malthouse were going to turn Collingwood into the "Manchester United of the AFL" got news for you Collingwood Fans, Man Utd win Premierships, think the quote from Eddie Should have been Collingwood will be the Blackburn Rovers of the AFL 1 Premiership in 20 years

You can say what you like -doesn't change the fact that we value and enjoy wins over Carlton and Essendon more than Geelong. Port Adelaide were premiers a few years ago, cycles come and go. But 'Pies v Carlton and Essendon are always intense rivalries.

What you call 2 premierships in the past 50 years (collingwood) and 1 premiership in the past 22 years (Carlton) successful? Perhaps Successful in 1800 BC when there were 4 clubs in the Competition but not lately. Plus your calling Geelong as a non-successful club and that 'no-one will care about the 3 premierships within 5 years in a couple of decades time'. What will they remember, Fitzroy's premiership in 1944?

You are obviously one of 'Them'. Welcome aboard.

They will remember Collingwood no matter what happens.

1st & 2nd in the last 2 years, a night premiership and 2 Mclelland trophies with massive (record) membership and unrivaled footy department spending while still making large profits is pretty "MU-ish" if you ask me. Sure its still a work in progress and yes Geelong have had a good few years too - and all credit to them - but the main reason for a salary cap and draft is to stop a club like Collingwood becoming too much like a MU.

Anyway, since 1989 Geelong have won 3 and lost 4 while Collingwood have won 2 and lost 3 so I'm not so sure about your sense of superiority.

1st & 2nd in the last 2 years, a night premiership and 2 Mclelland trophies with massive (record) membership and unrivaled footy department spending while still making large profits is pretty "MU-ish" if you ask me. Sure its still a work in progress and yes Geelong have had a good few years too - and all credit to them - but the main reason for a salary cap and draft is to stop a club like Collingwood becoming too much like a MU.

Anyway, since 1989 Geelong have won 3 and lost 4 while Collingwood have won 2 and lost 3 so I'm not so sure about your sense of superiority.
Your already calling Collingwood a Manchester United after just 2 good years? Plus you can have all the money and memberships you like but at the end of the day its about winning premierships, something that your club has done just twice in 50 years. Football works in cycles and as soon as your club got your chance to be a 'Geelong' or a 'Brisbane' they absolutely stuffed it. Here is Mcguire thinking he can do whatever he likes from sacking a premiership coach to employing spuds just because his club is one of the top teams right now. Well have fun next year buddy, because your so called 'long-stint' won't be lasting as long as what you'd hope for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that I want to remember the loses but Geelong has won 3 and lost 5 since '89 (89,92,94,95,08)

I always question the number of smembers the pies have. I reckon they just donate memberships to any derro sitting on the Smith Street footpath or at Vic Park station.

I used to work in that area for 3 years and the I lost cost of number of 'homeless' people that used to ask me for change everyday wearing their brand new Collingwood members hats.

Well have fun next year buddy, because your so called 'long-stint' won't be lasting as long as what you'd hope for.

Spoken like a offended WC supporter that has only known Collingwood dominance over his own club in September.

As far as contending for flags, no other club comes close to Collingwood. At a strikerate of a flag every 7 years in our entire existence & a GF every 2 years, we won't be going away anytime soon.

As far as contending for flags, no other club comes close to Collingwood. At a strikerate of a flag every 7 years in our entire existence & a GF every 2 years, we won't be going away anytime soon.
Well congratulations for winning your flags with 4-6 teams in the comp. It must have been a real struggle beating Fitztroy, Footscray and University. Have a look at the AFL histroy (when there were more then 6 teams in the comp) and you will see that your team struggles. 2 premierships in the past 50 years isn't something to be proud. So in terms of superiority I would rank your team about 5th or 6th, instead of the so called 'manchester united' tag you's give yourselves.

Have a look at the AFL histroy (when there were more then 6 teams in the comp) and you will see that your team struggles.

They do struggle?

If making GF upon GF is struggling, if winning final upon final (no side has won more finals), if winning game upon game (no side has won more games) is struggling, then I can get used to struggling. It's quite obvious that your Hungry Jack's franchise of a football organization clearly has issues being able to defeat Collingwood in September & your frustration at it is as clear as day. I too would be bitter at a club that hasn't lost a H&A game in 4 years & a final in 17 years to my club like you are.

Having more teams in a particular competition doesn't necessarily translate to a harder/better competition, it just means the talent pool is diluted. As this year proved with the extra side, there were 3 quality sides & the rest where making up the numbers, never before have I have seen so many ordinary sides within an AFL year. Good day.

They do struggle?

If making GF upon GF is struggling, if winning final upon final (no side has won more finals), if winning game upon game (no side has won more games) is struggling, then I can get used to struggling. It's quite obvious that your Hungry Jack's franchise of a football organization clearly has issues being able to defeat Collingwood in September & your frustration at it is as clear as day.

Having more teams in a particular competition doesn't necessarily translate to a harder/better competition, it just means the talent pool is diluted. As this year proved with the extra side, there were 3 quality sides & the rest where making up the numbers, never before have I have seen so many ordinary sides within an AFL year.
You can win as many games and as many finals as you like but if you keep choking on the big day then it all adds up to nothing. To be honest if your fine for collingwood to continue with what is my term of 'struggling' then you are definitely more then welcome too. It will leave 48 of the next 50 premierships for the rest of us.

Plus if you do the maths (2 collingwood brains might achieve this) then you'll notice that with less teams there will be a greater chance of each team winning the cup. So once again Well done Collingwood for winning with 4 teams in the comp but I believe the true reflection of your success would be shown from the last 50 years.

So let me get this straight. Unless you win the flag, your season is not successful. Thats like saying in 2008 and 2010 Geelong were rubbish, or in 2011 West Coast were rubbish.

So let me get this straight. Unless you win the flag, your season is not successful. Thats like saying in 2008 and 2010 Geelong were rubbish, or in 2011 West Coast were rubbish.
No. You can still have a fairly successful season without winning the flag but it doesn't mean you've had a successful period. Look at St Kilda who had relatively successful years in 2009 and 2010, but when you look back on it, you can't really say thay had a successful period because they didn't win the flag.
I would also say West Coast had a successful year but if we don't build on that and win a premiership within the next 4 or 5 years then it would all add up to nothing and yes it would be an unsuccessful period.

But once again if the magpie supporters are fine for Collingwood to have successful home and away wins but yet have unsuccessful periods by only winning 2 from 50 premierships, then the rest of us are all the better for it.

Not in this century sir. You know, the one that we live in. Purchase yourself a calendar.

Geelong fans trying to make themselves feel bigger then they really are. Playing your side is just another game, it means no more then a win over north melbourne or the gold coast.

90% of people will always prefer the club with less flags to their names wins a GF, the only thing that distorts this is state vs state rivalries. Simply put you are just not in the same bracket as the clubs I mentioned, people are still happy to see you win even after 5 years up the top.

I broke it up into states for you, your from WA so why would you care?

In the history of all victorian clubs 3 stand above the rest, only having won so few of them recently justifies my point completely. Even after huge droughts people still would rather see 10 flags in a row get won by the cats then have any of Collingwood, Essendon or Carlton winning just 1.

Hate takes longer then a decade to build and a hell of a lot more time passes before anyone forgets.

I broke it up into states for you, your from WA so why would you care?

In the history of all victorian clubs 3 stand above the rest, only having won so few of them recently justifies my point completely. Even after huge droughts people still would rather see 10 flags in a row get won by the cats then have any of Collingwood, Essendon or Carlton winning just 1.

Hate takes longer then a decade to build and a hell of a lot more time passes before anyone forgets.
I'd rate Hawthorn as more successful over Carlton and Collingwood, look at the past 29 years. Hawthorn have won 6 premierships and the blues and magpies have won just 2 each. Plus I wouldn't say that the reason why people prefer the cats to win it over you's, is because of the number of premierships that you's have won in a 4 team comp against Fitzroy and Footscray but rather because supporters like you think that that you are the 'Powerhouse' and 'dominant' clubs of the modern era.

Good campaign for the target audience. Excellent campaign actually. I mean Pies fans are always fizzing up and try
Ing to TELL anyone who listens how everyone hates them.... This thread sums it u nicely.

Pies fans i know are always telling me how hated they are and do so with pride, effectively ignoring me when I say im fairly indifferent towards them.

Each to their own. I for one dont like them but they are down my list!

But yeah, i think the marketing team have done pretty well. Miles ahead of 'they know we're coming'...

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood - us v them campaign

Remove this Banner Ad

Back