Autopsy Collingwood Wooden Spoon ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah who knows. But Gubby was the mastermind of the Treloar backended contract and the Beams fiasco. Hine was the recruiter that recruited the kids.
Gubby was at Collingwood all of 3 months during the 2016 post season and had absolutely nothing to do with the Beams trade and/or the Treloar deal.

Potentially the 2nd or 3rd worst trade in AFL history that (after Freo gave up Chris Groom for Andrew McLeod or Luke Hodge for Trent Croad)

Didn't Ned Guy have the IQ to understand The Pies could still draft Nick Daicos in 2021, without sacrificing their 1RP in this year's draft either???

Sheer incompetence yet again from Collingwood's list managers and number crunchers
meh the McLeod for groom was 30 year ago.

It's irrelevant. Pick 1 for Trent croad wasn't a total disaster, got at least Luke McPharlin in that deal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trash OP. Pies have been earnest and in a lot of games, just haven’t looked like comfortably beating anyone. Gap between 17th and 18th is similar to gap between 1st and 17th. They would need to derail amid the external noise to challenge for the spoon. Suns were a decent bet to win this game, those calling it the best win in their history haven’t a clue.

They just look so much worse now compared to the opening rounds, they moved the ball well against the Blues, yes I know it’s just Carlton, but they looked a solid outfit against the Lions as well in a game they absolutely chucked away after the siren which would have put them 2-1....it’s been outright garbage ever since.

Didn't it start with Eddie insisting in bringing back Beams?
There are lots of stories like this that float around about clubs’ decisions. Odds are we know about 10% of what has gone on, but Ed has been very defensive about the list issues. Wouldn’t even accept it was a ‘debacle’ on FC. I have no doubt his fingerprints are on it somewhere.

They went all in to win a flag, which I get, but Richmond, WC, the Dogs and Hawthorn all won a flag without having to offload guns for nothing because of a salary cap issue.

Anyway, in round one they looked at least competitive. They’ve gone backwards since, but I reckon they’ll regroup and pinch a few later in the season.

I really hope someone just comes out and spills the beans on precisely how the salary cap fiasco happened. I reckon they were to some extent caught by surprise by it which is mind boggling but is the best explanation for the sudden panic and exodus.

There are lots of stories like this that float around about clubs’ decisions. Odds are we know about 10% of what has gone on, but Ed has been very defensive about the list issues. Wouldn’t even accept it was a ‘debacle’ on FC. I have no doubt his fingerprints are on it somewhere.

They went all in to win a flag, which I get, but Richmond, WC, the Dogs and Hawthorn all won a flag without having to offload guns for nothing because of a salary cap issue.

Anyway, in round one they looked at least competitive. They’ve gone backwards since, but I reckon they’ll regroup and pinch a few later in the season.

I really hope someone just comes out and spills the beans on precisely how the salary cap fiasco happened. I reckon they were to some extent caught by surprise by it which is mind boggling but is the best explanation for the sudden panic and exodus.
agree, burying/refusing to acknowledge the club did/could make any error was the single greatest damage that Eddy did to the Pies, and he is still pushing that wagon in retirement; spin, spin, spin.

I think the possibly worst thing (long term) will happen, the Pies will win 10-11 games this year and finish 9th-ish. The elite senior core could easily manage that even with the Maynes and Greenwoods etc. finally being sat out to blood some kids.

As has been pointed out, they have no draft picks so there is little motivation to tank.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Collingwood Wooden Spoon ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back