List Mgmt. Collingwood's 2014 Draft - Targets and Strategy (confirmed, we finished 11th)

Remove this Banner Ad

I am going to post up the annual post season washup with my player reviews etc shortly but I would think the club have been pretty clear around what they will look for.

I doubt many (if any) mature age players will come in as I think the 'tagging' role will probably go to Williams and Sinclair next year.

Moore is a certainty and if others clubs dont force us to give up #8 I would be staggered. If by some miracle he doesnt get selected then Blakely (Swan Districts) as a big bodied and classy mid appeals along with Laverde who have been a fan of all year. Ahern and Pickett would be the other 2.

Jarrod Gartlett is the kid I would be hoping we would get at this stage with our 2nd round. I do a draft most years and I remember being one of the very few who was real keen on Walters. Well Gartlett is a similar player and he would be probably start fwd and develop himself to push up the ground. he gives us speed, has a defensive mindset and and is an elite user.

I suspect we will only have 3 picks and I think the fact Gault has come on so well and Marsh has shown promise means we are probably likely to push for another mid with speed and skill. Not easy to find them in Rd 3 but this draft is pretty even after Rd 1 so not impossible. The ones I have him in the frame arond there at moment are Ed Langdon. he will go higher than people think. he tested really well earlier in the year and he has clean hands and is a good ball user. he isnt 6ft:1" but there arent many around at that point. If you are sold on that type then keep your eyes and ears out for Kyle Langford. I have him around there at the moment but he is the type who could shoot up on potential but he'd be around there for me. James Rose, Dan Howe, Jordan Cunico, Rory Sheridan-Ferrie would be others I would look at.

Rd 4 is a lottery Suspect Yarran would be there and probably more likely. Answerth would be another I would look at.

At some stage they are goign to want a 4th ruck option on the list. I doubt it would be a youngster. More likely a mature age one on the rookie list.

With the rumours that Casboult is off to the kennel for big coin, makes it even more likely Carlton will put a bid in for Darcy Moore..

I'm yet to hear of this rumour? Do you have a source that I could investigate for myself? Not that I'm surprised; seems exactly the type of player the Bulldogs need to target. Don't think he's a FA though, so they'd have to orchestrate a trade right?

How does this effect our chances with Moore?

I'm yet to hear of this rumour? Do you have a source that I could investigate for myself? Not that I'm surprised; seems exactly the type of player the Bulldogs need to target. Don't think he's a FA though, so they'd have to orchestrate a trade right?

How does this effect our chances with Moore?

Check the Carlton and Doggies board.

Carlton is the only club i can see offering pick 7 for Moore. There's better talent in the top 5-6 players than Moore. If Casboult stayed with Carlton IMO we are a better chance at landing Moore with a second rounder.

Check the Carlton and Doggies board.

Carlton is the only club i can see offering pick 7 for Moore. There's better talent in the top 5-6 players than Moore. If Casboult stayed with Carlton IMO we are a better chance at landing Moore with a second rounder.

Good point, but I think Anzacday is right in saying that Carlton would look to replace with a ready-made player. Especially considering Mick won't last long at the club if they slip back into a rebuild type of phase, and they would be wanting to take advantage of an okay midfield of Judd, Murphy and Gibbs while they can. Nothing will make me laugh more than seeing Carlton lose both Casboult AND Waite, though! :D

Good point, but I think Anzacday is right in saying that Carlton would look to replace with a ready-made player. Especially considering Mick won't last long at the club if they slip back into a rebuild type of phase, and they would be wanting to take advantage of an okay midfield of Judd, Murphy and Gibbs while they can. Nothing will make me laugh more than seeing Carlton lose both Casboult AND Waite, though! :D

How many ready made key forwards are available though..?
There won't be many floating around. Possibly one of Griffiths/Vickery.
It's slim pickings!

Does anyone think there could be the possibility of clubs feeling disenchanted by Moore as it has been basically a foregone conclusion that we would draft him? Maybe clubs haven't focussed much on him or done a lot of research on him?

How many ready made key forwards are available though..?
There won't be many floating around. Possibly one of Griffiths/Vickery.
It's slim pickings!
Why don't we talk to Carlton informally prior to the bid meeting, offering a package deal of players for their pick 6? Maybe Keeffe & Blair or Lumumba. Mick might bite at some of his 'boys' to lift them up the ladder.
We then have picks 6 & 8 & a very strong chance to land Moore with our 2nd round.

Just another way the systems screws us over

You're right. The entire draft and father/son system is designed specifically to cripple Collingwood.

I'm a Pies supporter and have been for since I was a kid but even I am not this one eyed.

North Melbourne had to use pick 8 last year on L McDonald - which is what he was worth - so I don't see a problem with it. Moore is rated highly as a KPP (both ends) by everyone. As KPP don't grow on trees I'm confident we will have to use our first pick to acquire a player with such obvious potential. It must be a setup..they a rorting the Pies somehow, we should be able to get top end potential for our lowest picks and they should pay us to take them.

/end sarcasm.

Also I thought this thread was genuine, not dreams?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're right. The entire draft and father/son system is designed specifically to cripple Collingwood.

I'm a Pies supporter and have been for since I was a kid but even I am not this one eyed.

North Melbourne had to use pick 8 last year on L McDonald - which is what he was worth - so I don't see a problem with it. Moore is rated highly as a KPP (both ends) by everyone. As KPP don't grow on trees I'm confident we will have to use our first pick to acquire a player with such obvious potential. It must be a setup..they a rorting the Pies somehow, we should be able to get top end potential for our lowest picks and they should pay us to take them.

/end sarcasm.

Also I thought this thread was genuine, not dreams?

As supporters, anything and everything we can say here is mere speculation, and everyone has differing opinions. When some realistic links to draftable players are brought forward then they will be presented here. At this stage, the only player we are really linked to is Darcy Moore.

Yep - it is 100%.

Club has not Offically said that but you read between the line they have.

You have no knowledge on which to make a claim of 100%. Yes there is a good chance if forced to use our first round pick on Moore we will, but if the club thinks their are seven better players then they will pass on him, as they should. Moore's form has not been that strong to guarantee he would be considered in top seven at the moment.

Just something else to discuss in terms of Draft Strategy:

Should we look to trade 2nd/3rd round picks for players such as (not necessarily these two, but others will present themselves during the Trade Period) Watts and Sumner? Or are we better off looking to draft players who might be a couple more years away from making an impact?

Just something else to discuss in terms of Draft Strategy:

Should we look to trade 2nd/3rd round picks for players such as (not necessarily these two, but others will present themselves during the Trade Period) Watts and Sumner? Or are we better off looking to draft players who might be a couple more years away from making an impact?

Totally agree with this. There was another thread that mentioned J Watts as well and I recall someone saying that Collingwood had inquired about him. People responded by saying how crap he was and he has a pea heart. I would love to see a guy that has shown undoubted ability but lacks application come to a club that can offer him finals footy - if he stretches for it. Watts has the potential to be anything, personally I think he just needs some off field guidance (thank you S Pendlebury) and to not be the face off a club going through the worst period a club can go through.

At Melbourne he is THE #1 draft pick. At the Pies he'd be well down the pecking order and pushing for a spot in the seniors. It would make him or break I think.

No the doubt has only been created in the last few weeks. Even coming into the Brisbane game we expected to win we looked a good chance to be playing finals. Suddenly teams who may have nominated Moore with picks 9, 10, 11, 12. Etc won't have that chance. Suddenly Collingwood has pick 8 in its hand when it was expecting pick 11 or higher.

Whatever message other clubs thought they had from us re Moore was based on us using pick 11+. Suddenly it is 8 and Hine has passed on F/S's who other clubs subsequently picked up in the recent past (Stewart, Kelly).

I don't believe anyone will force our hand by nominating a pick for Moore that don't think he is worth. That would be stupid for them. If say Hine has Moore at 9 himself and another team nominates him it means we are suddenly looking at a player Hine rates at 7 or better instead of Moore. If someone he really rates slides a place or 2 we may get Hines no 5 for pick 8. If that occurs Hine will pass on Moore and the other club will have done themselves a disservice by using say pick 5 on a player they rated no 9 in the draft

It's all going to come down to where a few other clubs and Hine rate Moore. If the stars align we can end up getting him with our 2nd rounder.

Stop using logic and good reasoning on this site. some people can't handle logic. This issue is all about the passion and romance of father/son picks.

I'm not against using our second rounder for a more experienced player like a watts.

I reckon our list is chock full of young talent and a bit of experience wouldn't hurt.

I'd love two first rounders (one being Moore). After that, I'd be willing to get a bit creative.

Perhaps sumner as a second rounder also is worth a look.

Totally agree with this. There was another thread that mentioned J Watts as well and I recall someone saying that Collingwood had inquired about him. People responded by saying how crap he was and he has a pea heart. I would love to see a guy that has shown undoubted ability but lacks application come to a club that can offer him finals footy - if he stretches for it. Watts has the potential to be anything, personally I think he just needs some off field guidance (thank you S Pendlebury) and to not be the face off a club going through the worst period a club can go through.

At Melbourne he is THE #1 draft pick. At the Pies he'd be well down the pecking order and pushing for a spot in the seniors. It would make him or break I think.

Agree 100%. Watt's screams a guy that would play great footy in a good team with strong players around him. Given our need for good ball users and outside run I think he would be a great fit. Has the versatility to play down back, tall mid or third tall. Still young enough to be a long term player. Only issue is I think Melbourne will want too much for him based not on output but being a number 1 pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood's 2014 Draft - Targets and Strategy (confirmed, we finished 11th)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back