List Mgmt. Collingwood's 2014 Draft - Targets and Strategy (confirmed, we finished 11th)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jarrod Gartlett is the kid I would be hoping we would get at this stage with our 2nd round. I do a draft most years and I remember being one of the very few who was real keen on Walters. Well Gartlett is a similar player and he would be probably start fwd and develop himself to push up the ground. he gives us speed, has a defensive mindset and and is an elite user.

I don't think Garlett and Walters are similar types. Walters is a small crumbing forward with goal smarts and Garlett is a linebreaking midfielder elite pace. Garlett can play forward, but I don't think he'll ever be as effective as Walters. Garlett looks more like a Danyle Pearce to me.

Agree 100%. Watt's screams a guy that would play great footy in a good team with strong players around him. Given our need for good ball users and outside run I think he would be a great fit. Has the versatility to play down back, tall mid or third tall. Still young enough to be a long term player. Only issue is I think Melbourne will want too much for him based not on output but being a number 1 pick.

I feel that Watts staying at Melbourne is terminal to what should have been an amazing career. As much as I rate Paul Roos I think the mentality of the MFC during Watts' formative years has really hindered him.

Also think you are spot on with them wanting too much. I haven't seen the draft hopefuls (I live in Qld) or read to much about them but I can't see anyone else being delisted or traded that has shown anything like the potential Watts has.

That being said draft day always throws up some surprises. After recent years I have total confidence in our ability to pick and develop young talent but am skeptical about our mature recruiting.

I don't think Garlett and Walters are similar types. Walters is a small crumbing forward with goal smarts and Garlett is a linebreaking midfielder elite pace. Garlett can play forward, but I don't think he'll ever be as effective as Walters. Garlett looks more like a Danyle Pearce to me.

Im not sure if you watched Walters at Colts or Champs level in his draft year but he played the same role as Gartlett did this year.....in the midfield / hf. When Gartlett has played seniors in the WAFL this year he has played both roles. I have no doubt he does not have the tank to play midfield early in his career at AFL level and will probably play as a small fwd who slowly enters the rotations. Whether he is better than Walters or not I dont think anyone can say albeit odds will suggest he wont but that says more about how good Walters is than anything else. Physically the only role Gartlett can play when he starts is as small fwd / defender.

Im not sure if you watched Walters at Colts or Champs level in his draft year but he played the same role as Gartlett did this year.....in the midfield / hf. When Gartlett has played seniors in the WAFL this year he has played both roles. I have no doubt he does not have the tank to play midfield early in his career at AFL level and will probably play as a small fwd who slowly enters the rotations. Whether he is better than Walters or not I dont think anyone can say albeit odds will suggest he wont but that says more about how good Walters is than anything else. Physically the only role Gartlett can play when he starts is as small fwd / defender.

Does Garlett have the crumbing ability of Walters?

I have seen Garlett play but haven't seen him crumb much.

I'm not sure if this has been raised anywhere but what about Gwilt as a back-up. Will cost nothing, is 28 and our backline may do with some experience given there's no Maxy and who knows whether Brown / Reid stay on park.

Not sold either way but may be a handy 2-3 year pick up. I know the nay Sayers will say St.kilda delisted him but as a 3rd defender he may provide some value.

I'm not sure if this has been raised anywhere but what about Gwilt as a back-up. Will cost nothing, is 28 and our backline may do with some experience given there's no Maxy and who knows whether Brown / Reid stay on park.

Not sold either way but may be a handy 2-3 year pick up. I know the nay Sayers will say St.kilda delisted him but as a 3rd defender he may provide some value.

To tell you the truth I'd prefer Gwilt over Frawley. Nice left foot, solid citizen. 2 good years from him would be invaluable atm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a reply to someone and it is correct and relevant flog
Personal abuse will get you nowhere rookie. I can break your post down for you to show you which bits were irrelevant if you like. We're all friends here after all :rainbow:

If we are to draft Moore with our first live pick can we do a deal like swapping that pick(8) for a later first round and that clubs second round pick and use the later 1st round pick for Moore ?

Gwilt will be at the Crows next year apparently....

Then again, if I believe everything I read on here we're going to have every player on the market.

Yes, and the Saints will give us their #1 pick in return for Lumumba and our 5th round pick.
And no other clubs will nominate Darcy Moore and we'll get him for our 4th rounder.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood's 2014 Draft - Targets and Strategy (confirmed, we finished 11th)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back