Strategy Collingwood's Best 22 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Did I miss something? No one has Blair in their side. Anyone want a wager he will be there round 1?

He needs to hit the score board a lot more if he wants to stay AFL relevant through 2015/16 in the small fwd role, we can't afford to have both he and Goldsack being purely defensive in a position that demands scoreboard impact with high GA when not impacting directly.

He needs to hit the score board a lot more if he wants to stay AFL relevant through 2015/16 in the small fwd role, we can't afford to have both he and Goldsack being purely defensive in a position that demands scoreboard impact with high GA when not impacting directly.
Blair does kick goals though.

If you check the stats you'll see he's up there with our leading goal kickers in the past 4 years.
Blair's goal kicking average over the past four years ranked him 12th over the past two years, and only slightly better at 8th the two years before that. Hardly a leading goalkicker in any of them to be honest

If you check the stats you'll see he's up there with our leading goal kickers in the past 4 years.

What you talking bout Willis...

The last 3 seasons;

2012 - 17 goals
2013 - 14 goals
2014 - 12 goals

Not even a goal a game with huge TOG and his goal assists aren't any better with 5, 17 and 13 respectively.

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/J/Jarryd_Blair.html

Simple fact is he struggles to create and generate goals from being a offensive threat.

Regarding Blair I'm with Loki.

Blair was a suitable piece to fill out a best 22 in 2011/2012 but since then he just hasn't been good enough and given our improving depth and back end of the best 22 he shouldn't be getting any games.

Blair is neither a dominant player through the midfield or someone who can have an impact forward of centre. I wouldn't regard Blair even a best 30 player on our playing list and I'd have him somewhere around the 35 position at the selection table.

Regarding best 22s through the midfield I don't have room to accommodate Adams, Greenwood, Kennedy or Thomas, let alone the less productive Blair. Then in the front half with Elliott, Broomhead, Fasolo, De Goey and Karnezis who has a real chance to break through and all those midfielders who can rotate forward and that's before looking at the bigs and there isn't in my view a place for Blair beyond endurance in some exceptional circumstance.

For the past 12 months I've looked at Blair as just a very good VFL footballer. Given Blair's lack of progress in recent seasons and actually declining production he shouldn't be playing senior AFL footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regarding Blair's goalkicking he has 76 goals from 102 games. It's a pretty depressing total for a guy who plays much of his time in the front half. To be a worthwhile general forward that goalkicking volume needs to be doubled and go from .75 goals per game to 1.5 goals per game.

There is delicious irony in the novel idea small forwards need to kick goals to be relevant. Not an easy task though, the last bloke who was any good at it was deemed useless and banished to the backline. His performance there demonstrated just how good he was and just maybe how hard being a dangerous and a defensive forward is. I'm neither here nor there on Blair: tough and consistent but just hasn't developed. Still no one has pushed him out yet, will be interesting to see who can kick goals but still bring a defensive side.

There is delicious irony in the novel idea small forwards need to kick goals to be relevant. Not an easy task though, the last bloke who was any good at it was deemed useless and banished to the backline. His performance there demonstrated just how good he was and just maybe how hard being a dangerous and a defensive forward is. I'm neither here nor there on Blair: tough and consistent but just hasn't developed. Still no one has pushed him out yet, will be interesting to see who can kick goals but still bring a defensive side.

I was a massive Leon fan, his issues were related more to GF games then HnA and finals in which he was excellent most weeks in both roles.

Not just directly kicking goals but also setting them up with GAs leon and Dids were excellent at it.

If you are not a threat you're opponents will sag off Blair is not a threat currently.

Also if we are going to insist on playing a heavily defensive fwd then I'd much prefer goldsack as that defensive fwd as when he tackles they have a bigger physical impact.

I have a feel, going from all of the training reports, that when DeGoey gets up to speed with the AFL game style, he is going to make selecting Blair very hard this year.
I wouldn't be surprised if its sooner rather than later

Going slightly off the intra club match reviews I'd make a couple of changes

B: Ben Reid ~ Nathan Brown ~ Marley Williams
HB: Tom Langdon ~ Alan Toovey ~ Braydon Maynard

M: Travis Varcoe ~ Levi Greenwood ~ Jack Crisp

HF: Jordan De Goey ~ Lachlan Keeffe ~ Steele Sidebottom
F: Jessie White ~ Travis Cloke ~ Jamie Elliott

R: Brodie Grundy ~ Scott Pendlebury ~ Dane Swan

I/C: Paul Seedsman ~ Tim Broomhead ~ Ben Kennedy
Sub: Nathan Freeman*Sub to be rotated

Going slightly off the intra club match reviews I'd make a couple of changes

B: Ben Reid ~ Nathan Brown ~ Marley Williams
HB: Tom Langdon ~ Alan Toovey ~ Braydon Maynard

M: Travis Varcoe ~ Levi Greenwood ~ Jack Crisp

HF: Jordan De Goey ~ Lachlan Keeffe ~ Steele Sidebottom
F: Jessie White ~ Travis Cloke ~ Jamie Elliott

R: Brodie Grundy ~ Scott Pendlebury ~ Dane Swan

I/C: Paul Seedsman ~ Tim Broomhead ~ Ben Kennedy
Sub: Nathan Freeman*Sub to be rotated
The five named in the leadership group will be in the best 22. Sorry to break that news to you.

The five named in the leadership group will be in the best 22. Sorry to break that news to you.

Unless Goldsack gets back to his 2012 form I can't find a reason why he should play other than for defenders to not give a shit about him and go to Cloke.

Unless Goldsack gets back to his 2012 form I can't find a reason why he should play other than for defenders to not give a shit about him and go to Cloke.
The reason is we don't have 18 players better than him let alone 22. Hell we don't have 6 better forwards or 6 better backs. Goldsack is a lock when fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Collingwood's Best 22 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Back