Strategy Collingwood's Best 22 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Unless Goldsack gets back to his 2012 form I can't find a reason why he should play other than for defenders to not give a shit about him and go to Cloke.
He's not in the leadership group to make up the numbers. He'll play, Buckley has made that choice by appointing him leader.

The reason is we don't have 18 players better than him let alone 22. Hell we don't have 6 better forwards or 6 better backs. Goldsack is a lock when fit.

I can think think of 22 plays that are easily better than him and 6 backs and forward, but that's my opinion.

How I reckon we will line up round 1...

(6)
Key Defenders: Reid, Langdon, Brown
Small Defenders: Varcoe, Williams, Toovey

(1)
Rucks: Grundy

(10)
Midfield Rotation: Pendlebury, Swan, Sidebottom, Greenwood, Adams, Kennedy, Broomhead, De Goey, Freeman, Crisp (tag)

(5)
Small Forwards: Elliott, Fasolo
Key Forwards: Cloke, Goldsack, White (2nd ruck)

Or in the traditional sense...
B: Williams - Brown - Toovey
HB: Langdon - Reid - Varcoe
C: Sidebottom - Swan - Crisp
HF: Broomhead - White - Elliott
F: Fasolo - Cloke - Goldsack
RUCKS: Grundy - Pendlebury - Greenwood
INT: Kennedy - De Goey - Adams
SUB - Freeman

This means that we have 11 first round picks playing...
Pendlebury (5), De Goey (5), Reid (8), Brown (10), Freeman (10), Sidebottom (11), Adams (13), Varcoe (15), Grundy (18), Kennedy (19), Broomhead (20)

Plenty of top end talent. Very exciting times ahead.

Last edited:

What I reckon Brisbane will dish up at the moment for round 1.

B: Adcock - Merrett - Gardiner
HB: Golby - Maguire - Clarke
C: Zorko - Rockliff - Robinson
HF: Christensen - Martin - Bewick
F: Green - Staker - Taylor
RUCKS: Leuenberger - D.Beams - Rich
INT: Aish - Redden - Mayes
SUB: Lester

11010577_722532824510859_5344994828754428682_n.jpg

Don't know enough about the Brions to say although Christesen recovering from back surgery so might be doubtful. Must have picked up some shaggers back while at the Cats.

this is what I came up with

Collingwood’s best 22 2015

Williams-Brown-Toovey

Langdon-Reid-Seedsman

Varcoe-Greenwood-Sidebottom

Goldsack-White/Keefe-Adams

Witts-Cloke-Elliot

Grundy-Pendles-Swan

i/c Broomhead, Karenesis, Thomas, sub-Freeman

Really dont know if i rate Brown TBH.. Am i alone?

I'm not all that high on Brown. He's had so many injuries and I'd be selecting Keeffe and Frost as my key defence duo ahead of him, both of whom I feel have surpassed him and as key defenders would even be able to create separation between themselves and Brown given they are both younger and have the feel of having further scope to improve, which I'm not seeing with Brown who has largely always been the same player.

I'm not all that high on Brown. He's had so many injuries and I'd be selecting Keeffe and Frost as my key defence duo ahead of him, both of whom I feel have surpassed him and as key defenders would even be able to create separation between themselves and Brown given they are both younger and have the feel of having further scope to improve, which I'm not seeing with Brown who has largely always been the same player.

Brown is so far in front of Keeffe it is not even worth debating.

Brown is so far in front of Keeffe it is not even worth debating.

As a defender I agree. Brown isn't anything more than decent though. Ok player.

Frost is my favourite of the three. He is the only one with the actual scope to be excellent. He has some ridiculous attributes we should be nurturing. He needs to be playing every week and if that is instead of Brown so be it. At least we know his body is up to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reid is far and away our best KP back. In fact he's the second best in the comp behind Harry Taylor.
Brown is far and away our second best KP back. There is a gap to Frost who like Brown has limitations. What Frost has on his side is a lack of games that means he has upside.
Keeffe is an interesting one. Right now he's barely an AFL KP defender. 3rd tall back is his fit at present. He doesn't have the poise to take on and beat a quality KP back or cope with our midfield being beaten from the centre. He may well improve over the next 2 years but he has to to be a KP back of any note. Personally I'd be trying to trade him for a decent draft upgrade to one of the Qld clubs and work with the other 3 tall backs and draft a kid to play down back in the future.

I like Hoggy's team, but Frost has to come in and Crisp moves out. Varcoe moves to the wing and Reid starts off at CHB and moves to the forward line depending on the tactical requirements of the game. Frost and Brown can hold down the two key back positions when/if Reid moves forward. White deserves to start in the first game as he is showing better practice form than either Gault or Keeffe. Grundy is the first ruck while Witts is injured. Crisp can go the emergency.

not much love for jack frost on here by the look of some of the best 22's posted. find it hard to see how's not in the best 22 season - our best backman in 2014, and the only player to play all 22 games. with reid and brown hopefully fit, frost plays the maxwell role as the 3rd tall beautifully. he is a lock for the best 22

not much love for jack frost on here by the look of some of the best 22's posted. find it hard to see how's not in the best 22 season - our best backman in 2014, and the only player to play all 22 games. with reid and brown hopefully fit, frost plays the maxwell role as the 3rd tall beautifully. he is a lock for the best 22
Our best backman in 2014 when we lost a lot of games and leaked a lot of goals and had our actual 2 best KP backs injured. Frost will play plenty of games, hopefully as the 3rd tall and swapping a bit with Reid and Brown - unless Reid can't get on the park of course.

with the injuries we have had over the last couple of years and new kids coming through there are a hell of a lot of options but here goes...

selecting a first 18 with who is behind them in the pecking order, interchange to be selected from the second column,

Full Back: Nathan Brown (26)
Back Pocket: Alan Toovey (29) - Jackson Ramsey (20)
Back Pocket: Marley Williams (21) - Ben Sinclair (23) - Brayden Maynard (18)

Centre Half-Back: Jack Frost (23) - Jonathon Marsh (19)
3rd Tall Defender : Lachlan Keefe (24) - Adam Oxley (22)
Half Back Flank: Tom Langdon (20) - Matthew Scharenberg (19) - Michael Manteit (18)
Half Back Flank: Clinton Young (29) - Paul Seedsman (23) - Tony Armstrong (25)

Ruckman: Jarrod Witts (22) - Brodie Grundy (20) - Mason Cox (24)
Centre: Scott Pendlebury (27) - Josh Thomas (23)
Centre: Dane Swan (31) - Ben Kennedy (20)
Centre: Levi Greenwood (26) - Taylor Adams (21) - Brent Macaffer (27)

Wing: Steele Sidebottom (24) - Jordan De Goey (18) - Jack Crisp (22)
Wing: Travis Varcoe (27) - Nathan Freeman (19) - Matthew Goodyear (18)

Centre Half Forward: Travis Cloke (28) - Jesse White (27)
Half Forward Flank: Alex Fasolo (22) - Tim Broomhead (19) - Patrick Karnezis (22)
Defending Forward: Tyson Goldsack (27) - Jarryd Blair (24)

Full Forward: Ben Reid (25) - Darcy Moore (18) - Corey Gault (23)
Forward Pocket: Jamie Elliot (22) - Sam Dwyer (28) - Brendan Abbott (19)

Because Jack Frost is a poor overhead mark, a terrible kick of the footy and always plays 5m behind his opponent.

I'll have a shot at it.

FB Williams Brown Toovey
HB Langdon Frost Reid
C Sidebottom Swan Freeman
HF Karnezis Cloke Elliot
F Fasolo White Broomhead
Foll Witts Pendelbury Adams
Int Greenwood Varcoe Kennedy
Sub De Goey
Emer Sinclair Crisp Thomas

The backs are interesting. I went with good defenders. I think Reid and Langdon will be awesome on the flanks because of their intercept marking. The others aren't particularly good users of the ball, however they defend very well.

I'll give it a crack....

Toovey, Frost, Brown
Langdon, Reid, Williams
Varcoe, Pendlebury, Sidebottom
Fasolo, Cloke, Kennedy
Elliott, White, Karnezis

Witts, Swan, Adams

Int/sub (from): Greenwood, Broomhead, Thomas, De Goey

In reality I expect Goldsack to play and probably Blair also, but I wouldn't have them in the side. Seedsman would be in my side but I am assuming he won't be ready for Round 1.

I think Macaffer will come into the side as a tagger when fit but although he is good at the role in a purely negative sense, he doesn't win enough ball or cause enough damage to make it worth it in my view. I would prefer 23 possessions and 3 clearances from our mid and 36 and 6 from theirs over 13 and 0 (Macaffer) from ours and 29 and 3 from theirs. They win the one on one battle either way, but with a tagger they also have one extra guy (when there are only three allowed in the square that is a lot) actually trying to get the ball not to mention one less opponent to worry about.

Who knows, maybe Crisp with his added height and speed could be the answer.

For what it's worth I think our midfield is quite strong, our defence is average but with Reid back in it can at least be competitive, the forward line has the potential to be dangerous especially considering the fact that we have a couple of goal kicking mids and our rucks are obviously developing. We could finish anywhere from 13th to 5th in my opinion but with our soft draw I think we will play finals.

Last edited:
All depending on opposition team, I'd go with:

FB: Williams Brown Frost

HB: Langdon Keefe Toovey

C: Sidebottom Adams Varcoe

HF: Fasolo Cloke Broomhead

FF: White Reid Elliott

C: Pendles Swan Witts

I/C: Greenwood Goldsack Kennedy
Sub: Seedsman

B: Langdon - Brown - Maynard
HB: Seedsman - Reid - Scharenberg
C: Freeman - Adams - Sidesbottom
HF: Broomhead - Cloke - Kennedy
F: Grundy - Moore - Elliott
RUCKS: Witts - Pendlebury - Swan
INT: Greenwood - Fasolo - De Goey - Goldsack

Give me this team round 1 2016 please

What is that the club sees in Jarryd Blair that we can't? He gets a game every week but we as supporters don't even have him in the best 22?

He's honestly got like 1 string to his bow, he can apply pressure (sometimes). Even still, he's not first class in this area. He doesn't hit the scoreboard hard enough, he isn't a deadly kick, he gets beaten in a lot of one on ones.

Guys like Elliott, Fasolo, Kennedy, Broomhead and even Karnezis are all capable of taking Jarryd Blair's spot and they offer far more. They've all got x-factor and have a higher ceiling for potential, Jarryd Blair has plateau'd and quite frankly I don't think he's evolved at all in his career.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Collingwood's Best 22 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Back