List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn’t want to take a KPD with an early first rounder. Risky position to take early (eg DGB, Macasey) and it’s one where a lot of the greats have been taken with later picks (Gov, Barrass, Taylor, Pearce)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Good point. Weitering is really the only stand out in recent memory, they are just harder to project at an early age than mids/smalls until they grow into their body. I don’t think any of the KPDs this year will be taken in the top 10, but if we split I’d be very keen to take 1-2 in the 11-25 range.

Anyone who is currently 6 weeks+ away should go onto the LTI list now. That’s the minimum time to be spent on the list and will mean we have a spot open for MSD (May 29) then that player will be available the week after. I’m sure we’ll have another 6 week injury by then which we can then move onto LTI at that time when it’s time for the player we place on there now to return. Or give Gaff a farewell game and an appropriate acknowledgement of his contribution to the club.

There’s no LTI list any more. There’s an inactive list. To go on that list the player has to be expected not to come back this season.

Has that been updated since last year?
View attachment 1963779

Not sure. Maybe it still exists then, but I don’t see why it needs to. It used to allow players to be promoted from the rookie list to play senior footy, but they can now do that at any time.

In any event, it’s the inactive list that’s relevant for the mid-season draft. Having a player out for six weeks doesn’t create a list spot, they have to be out for the season.

That was the club’s reason for not moving Naitanui to the inactive list and taking a second MSD pick last year - they weren’t sure he would be out for the year so they reckoned they couldn’t move him. (Blind Freddy could see he wasn’t coming back, of course).

Edit: from the AFL last year

099BE64C-DC15-4D2A-8AB9-B1AA4C24E993.jpeg

Not sure. Maybe it still exists then, but I don’t see why it needs to. It used to allow players to be promoted from the rookie list to play senior footy, but they can now do that at any time.

In any event, it’s the inactive list that’s relevant for the mid-season draft. Having a player out for six weeks doesn’t create a list spot, they have to be out for the season.

That was the club’s reason for not moving Naitanui to the inactive list and taking a second MSD pick last year - they weren’t sure he would be out for the year so they reckoned they couldn’t move him. (Blind Freddy could see he wasn’t coming back, of course).
My understanding is it does create a list spot, but if if that list spot is then taken and you want to bring the LTI player back with a full list (which would be the case if we did that and took a MSD), that player can NOT play unless someone else is transferred to the LTI list or if there is a retirement mid season.

The NN MSD fiasco was due to a delay in medical opinion, to a degree that is out of the club’s hands but we probably shouldn’t have run it that tightly time wise in the first place.

My understanding is it does create a list spot, but if if that list spot is then taken and you want to bring the LTI player back with a full list (which would be the case if we did that and took a MSD), that player can NOT play unless someone else is transferred to the LTI list or if there is a retirement mid season.

It’s the Inactive List that’s relevant not the LTI list, you can bring a player back if you move another player onto it (or if the spot isn’t taken, like we were looking to do with Cole in 2022). But they need to be ruled out for the season to go onto the list.

We can’t just put Hewett, for example, on there because he’s still 8 weeks away and then juggle the spots later. There needs to be some level of expectation that he won’t be back.

It’s the Inactive List that’s relevant not the LTI list, you can bring a player back if you move another player onto it (or if the spot isn’t taken, like we were looking to do with Cole in 2022). But they need to be ruled out for the season to go onto the list.

We can’t just put Hewett, for example, on there because he’s still 8 weeks away and then juggle the spots later. There needs to be some level of expectation that he won’t be back.
It does sound like there could be a LTI list and an inactive list by reading both those articles from last year. I would have thought as long as there is a spot available we can take a pick but what you’re saying about not being able to juggle does make sense. I’m sure it will become clearer soon, I just really hope we create a spot I think it would be negligent not to. Let’s just hope by retaining Trew we had a cunning plan…

eaglevision I don’t know where you got those clauses from re the LTI list but I can’t find those clause numbers in either the current or previous CBAs

The below is a screenshot from the current CBA referencing the inactive list and clearly stating once a player is put there he cannot play again that season

A06A0EB1-1A97-40B7-BA60-99DA57FAD11B.jpeg

I wouldn’t want to take a KPD with an early first rounder. Risky position to take early (eg DGB, Macasey) and it’s one where a lot of the greats have been taken with later picks (Gov, Barrass, Taylor, Pearce)

Let us have a look at some first round KPD'ers

Jacob Weitering - pick number 1 (I doubts anyone would suggest that pick being wasn't right)
Aaron Naughton - pick number 9 (his play at CHB got him drafted - post draft Dogs threw him forward and were wowed)
Darcy Moore - pick number 9 (would have been earlier but slid as a F/S)
Jake Lever - pick number 14 (would have been earlier except he had an ACL in his draft year, earlier mocks had him top 5)
Steven May - priority Suns pick so equates to an early first round in 2009/2010
Mac Andrews - pick number 5
Josh Gibcus - pick number 9
Griffin Logue - pick number 8

Most good CHB junior players have usually played at CHF. Very rarely do you see a purely defensive KPP pigeon holed to CHB only. Hell, Jakovich is the classic

If you had the chance in 2010, would you have taken Gov with a top 5 pick? I would have taken him very early, but only in hindsight. As have many draft watchers who "re do" drafts using hindsight.

So agree - there have been some brilliant later picks and rookies. I often associate that with the growth spurts and players not having their coordination right in their draft years.

Interesting that my favourite spot for a KPD is usually a late first to mid second rounder. Sam Taylor is my classic. What a sliding doors moment if we go back to 2016/2017. Monocle was very vocal we should take Kelly in the rookie draft instead of Tom Gorter. If we take him as a rookie, we then go to 2017 and take Oscar at 13, we then take Liam Ryan at 21, and we then take Sam Taylor at 26 (I was very vocal on Sam in his draft year). That Gorter pick still pisses me off.

eaglevision I don’t know where you got those clauses from re the LTI list but I can’t find those clause numbers in either the current or previous CBAs

The below is a screenshot from the current CBA referencing the inactive list and clearly stating once a player is put there he cannot play again that season

View attachment 1963848

26.4 page 99.

Feb 2023 so obviously pre-dates the new CBA that yourself and presumably Miguel Sanchez are referring to. Sounds like we’re going to miss out on a pick unless there’s a season ending injury or retirement which is really disappointing.

26.4 page 99.

Feb 2023 so obviously pre-dates the new CBA that yourself and presumably Miguel Sanchez are referring to. Sounds like we’re going to miss out on a pick unless there’s a season ending injury or retirement which is really disappointing.

Yeah I just found that - it’s the AFL rules which are a separate beast to the CBA

Why they exist alongside each other I don’t know. The rules make mention of a mid season draft but only insofar as to say the AFL may have one without prescribing how it would happen

By contrast, the CBA addresses the mid season draft specifically and how it operates

My go to is always the CBA for information

Yeah I just found that - it’s the AFL rules which are a separate beast to the CBA

Why they exist alongside each other I don’t know. The rules make mention of a mid season draft but only insofar as to say the AFL may have one without prescribing how it would happen

By contrast, the CBA addresses the mid season draft specifically and how it operates

My go to is always the CBA for information
How can the custodians of the biggest sport in the country have side by side official documents that contradict one another…

Actually I know exactly how.

If you’ve got a link to the CBA it would be appreciated 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How can the custodians of the biggest sport in the country have side by side official documents that contradict one another…

Actually I know exactly how.

If you’ve got a link to the CBA it would be appreciated 👍

Link to the full CBA is on this page

In short: List management. I can’t see us cutting deeply enough from the main list to have less than the full 38 spots occupied after draft/trade. I’d actually prefer 37 and have a spot for 2025 MSD (or SSP if there’s something there we like) without “relying” on a LTI. That leaves 6 rookie spots.

I’m expecting us to transfer a player to LTI injury list to take a player (hopefully Hopkins) in this year’s MSD. Maric and Culley will be retained. That leaves 3 spots. Rawlinson, Livingstone and Dewar are all ahead of Baker IMO. If we want to take another rookie at the end of this year we’ll have to cut one of those 3 too.
Dewar and Livingstone are cat B rookies?

It would be nice if the Afl would give us some extra rookie spots as priority picks .

You're not wrong here, that's why I'd be keen to split the pick this year, I guess where we finish on the ladder might determine this though. Split for argument sake pick 1/2 for 4 and 15 (this is just an example ppl), take one of the mids Draper/Smith/Moraes and then use the 15 on a Key position player like a O'Farrell/Mraz.

More details on potential changes on f/s and academy bidding and also pick purchasing likely to come in right at the right time for us is a handy boost
Lions will probably want to trade our future first round pick for one of those end of first round PP’s, live on draft night, after matching the Ashcroft bid.

Lions will probably want to trade our future first round pick for one of those end of first round PP’s, live on draft night, after matching the Ashcroft bid.
Problem for Lions is GCS will want to trade their end 1R before a bid on Lombard. Not sure how much chat there is between clubs telling other clubs who they are picking on draft night but GCS wouldn’t want to risk an early bid on Lombard and have their pants pulled down…

Problem for Lions is GCS will want to trade their end 1R before a bid on Lombard. Not sure how much chat there is between clubs telling other clubs who they are picking on draft night but GCS wouldn’t want to risk an early bid on Lombard and have their pants pulled down…
Lombard isn’t being bid on before Ashcroft.

We match the Ashcroft bid with our natural first round pick, then trade with GC before the next pick is made.

Lombard isn’t being bid on before Ashcroft.

We match the Ashcroft bid with our natural first round pick, then trade with GC before the next pick is made.
Presumably correct but we have a season to go and both kids are in the top half dozen or so discussion.

And yes that would seem the logical plan. Or possibly trade down your 1R for points and a future pick depending on which cookbook Dillon and Kane are reading from this year and your intentions for the later rounds.

26.4 page 99.

It’s not that big a deal.

Obviously we’re waiting for the young guns game, and there’s still 6 weeks, but there is no real stand out in this years MsD unlike the last couple of years, and we will likely have pick 2 or 3, not pick 1.

Unless there is a specific target and stand out prospect I don’t think it’s something we should really be worried about.

Interesting that my favourite spot for a KPD is usually a late first to mid second rounder. Sam Taylor is my classic. What a sliding doors moment if we go back to 2016/2017. @Monocle was very vocal we should take Kelly in the rookie draft instead of Tom Gorter. If we take him as a rookie, we then go to 2017 and take Oscar at 13, we then take Liam Ryan at 21, and we then take Sam Taylor at 26 (I was very vocal on Sam in his draft year). That Gorter pick still pisses me off.
I dont understand the hesitancy from the club to rookie a prospect we were clearly into for about two years. And yet kept scrubs that wasn't doing shit for years. It was a poor decision then, that would have changed the now.

Gandhi said it best the future depends on what we do in the present.

I dont understand the hesitancy from the club to rookie a prospect we were clearly into for about two years. And yet kept scrubs that wasn't doing s**t for years. It was a poor decision then, that would have changed the now.

Gandhi said it best the future depends on what we do in the present.
It is a bit mind boggling but as the saying goes, everything happens for a reason. If we went down this path we would not have been as bad as we were and would not have been in position to draft our next Premiership captain and Brownlow medalist.

Presumably correct but we have a season to go and both kids are in the top half dozen or so discussion.

And yes that would seem the logical plan. Or possibly trade down your 1R for points and a future pick depending on which cookbook Dillon and Kane are reading from this year and your intentions for the later rounds.
I actually forgot, AFL said that the draft points system and bid matching will be reviewed this year, but any changes won’t be brought in until 2025.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back