List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 37 27.2%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 18 13.2%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 11 8.1%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 41 30.1%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Both have spent significant time on the sidelines since being drafted. Development wise, both are effectively still first year players. Jones and Rotham only have contracts as they will be depth players from next year onwards.
Who else is left to delist is the thing if/when those 2 get contracts

Witho (will get a contract)
Gaff (gone)
Burgiel
H.Edwards
L.Edwards
J.Williams (has to stay?)
Culley (rookie)
Jones (Simmo wants to keep)
Baker (rookie)
Rotham (Simmo wants to keep)
Dewar (rookie)
Trew (rookie

If 6 go (so ideally Baker, Cummings in and 4 picks) then thats 4 left on main list left to delist in Simmos fanciful world where he wants to keep Rotham and Jones and Burgiel is one of those 4 im afraid

People gotta sit up and admit

Its dire and ugly when you got 2 players you want on the delist pile in Jones and Rotham so close to the coaches best 25.....

Im a tad concerned myself that both get contract extensions at the expense of younger players we should be keeping.

To me it almost feels like the writing is on the wall for both Burgiel and Culley given the situation at present, which is insanely dumb, but here we are

Both are UFA's.

If the kids aren't ready they need to get better.

Last edited:

Gaff (gone)
Burgiel
H.Edwards
L.Edwards
Culley (rookie)
Baker (rookie)
Dewar (rookie)
Trew (rookie

If 6 go (so ideally Baker, Cummings in and 4 picks) then thats 4 left on main list left to delist in Simmos fanciful world where he wants to keep Rotham and Jones and Burgiel is one of those 4 im afraid
Gaff, LEdwards, Jones and Trew are the obvious ones to me. Jones is playing because clearly those behind him aren't ready yet but Baker makes him obsolete. Culley may be unlucky by virtue of the fact that he is now third in line at his best position and further down the line as a midfielder.

That's 5. If Cumming comes in then I don't see why we would extend Rotham.

The smokey to me is Bailey Williams. Sure, he's just signed a two-year extension but he doesn't fit long term. He's not a forward and while he gets beat up in the ruck, he has come a long way in the last two years. His value is at its highest and being Victorian, there will be a market for him. I don't know that I see anything happening in that space but pending what the club thinks about Archer Reid's development and role, Williams might not be here beyond that contract anyway.

Have you noted the mountain of 2nd and 3rd round picks Richmond hold to balance the trade and provide the Suns with the points they need?

Plus we would need to add a 2nd and a player.
Change it to
wce trade 3, 23 future 2nd and Bailey Williams.

Richmond trade baker, green and Rioli pick 22

Gold Coast trade 9 and 10

WCE get 9, 10, 22 baker and green

Suns get Rioli, 23 and future 2nd

Richmond get pick 3 and Bailey Williams.

Last edited:
Don't think it's looking particularly good for Culley getting another year with him getting 1 game and being omitted immediately despite barely any mids available.
He could've hardly had done any more in the WAFL to earn a game but was dropped after hardly given an opportunity like Trew.
Probably means he isn't in the clubs current or future plans with his skillset or attributes.
Best case scenario is being given the Trew treatment with another year on the rookie list and languishing in the WAFL.
Only chance for him is to find another position since it seems the club doesn't see him as a midfield option in the AFL.

Last edited:
I don’t think GCS will pay what Richmond will ask for Rioli, assuming he even wants to leave. GCS need 1R picks for their NGA next year, a simple swap of our F1 for Pick 9 and 10 might be more appealing. I’d be fine finishing 17th and going to the draft with 2,9,10,22,58 and putting a broom through the list.

2-FOS
9-Travaglia
10-Lalor
22-Lindsay/Mraz
58-Champion match (trade F4 also)
Rookie-Dennis
F2-Busslinger
FA-Cumming

Delist:
Rotham, LEdwards, Jones, Gaff, Witherden, HEdwards, Trew, Baker, Rawlinson

Trade options
Petruccelle, BWilliams, Barrass

Would give us 38 main list, 4 Cat As and 2 Cat Bs provided we Maric spends one more year as a rookie and can get Culley, Burgiel or JWilliams to re-sign as a rookie.

Do you believe last game Jones showed more then Culley in terms of playing this week?

Thats the most worrying part of it all.... Culley earnt a spot over Jones yet didnt keep it
They were basically the same in disposals and Jones had 5 tackles to Culleys 0. I wouldnt say Culley earnt it over him. Neither are long term options anyway so no point getting worked up over it.

They seem big on him internally from what I've been told - not sure if they're just spinning his wheels though

No idea on the method of acquiring him - that will depend on Richmond
Based on nothing more than gut feel...I have a very strong feeling that we're going to do something radical.

Something like Pick 3 for Bolton, Baker and Green

They seem big on him internally from what I've been told - not sure if they're just spinning his wheels though

No idea on the method of acquiring him - that will depend on Richmond

If he's not offered a contract at Richmond then the club won't be looking to trade for him

I reckon we trade Pick 3 for Chad Warner, Isaac Heeney, Nick Daicos, Marcus Bontempelli, and Patrick Cripps

No chance Richmond do that. Laughable even to suggest it. Bolton is worth pick 3 by himself
This was discussed earlier in this thread, a week or two ago...I don't agree.

In saying that, if we give up 3, I'd only do it for Warner. Bird in the hand and all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think GCS will pay what Richmond will ask for Rioli, assuming he even wants to leave. GCS need 1R picks for their NGA next year, a simple swap of our F1 for Pick 9 and 10 might be more appealing. I’d be fine finishing 17th and going to the draft with 2,9,10,22,58 and putting a broom through the list.

2-FOS
9-Travaglia
10-Lalor
22-Lindsay/Mraz
58-Champion match (trade F4 also)
Rookie-Dennis
F2-Busslinger
FA-Cumming

Delist:
Rotham, LEdwards, Jones, Gaff, Witherden, HEdwards, Trew, Baker, Rawlinson

Trade options
Petruccelle, BWilliams, Barrass

Would give us 38 main list, 4 Cat As and 2 Cat Bs provided we Maric spends one more year as a rookie and can get Culley, Burgiel or JWilliams to re-sign as a rookie.
This is where I'm at also, embarrassingly I think norf jump us and we finish 17th. 9 and 10 is a bit of a stretch unfortunately I think our f1 will only get the 9 from GC but we could maybe try f1 + 23 for GC 9 and their 20

2- fos
9- travaglia
20- best available winger or key back
Junk pics- malakai

I'd personally keep h.edwards and witherden as insurance. B.Williams only gets traded for busslinger or Baker don't think we can afford to throw our r2 or f2 away for them. I'd chuck darling in the trade pile also

I'd also like to see a revamp of the coaching staff, we are a lot better side than bottom 4

Don't think it's looking particularly good for Culley getting another year with him getting 1 game and being omitted immediately despite barely any mids available.
He could've hardly had done any more in the WAFL to earn a game but was dropped after hardly given an opportunity like Trew.
Probably means he isn't in the clubs current or future plans with his skillset or attributes.
Best case scenario is being given the Trew treatment with another year on the rookie list and languishing in the WAFL.
Only chance for him is to find another position since it seems the club doesn't see him as a midfield option in the AFL.

We don’t know if Culley pulled up a little sore so the MC are being cautious..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Gaff (gone)
Burgiel
H.Edwards
L.Edwards
Culley (rookie)
Baker (rookie)
Dewar (rookie)
Trew (rookie

Why do you think Simo wants to retain Jones and Rotham?

I dont get that impression at all.

We lack depth and so they get games. Both as UFA and likely end up elsewhere or not on a list. Teams with no picks may look for a top up player to add depth.

I see both not on our list next year but both are better than the kids that need to develop and earn a game.

Last edited:
Change it to
wce trade 3, 23 future 2nd and Bailey Williams.

Richmond trade baker, green and Rioli pick 22

Gold Coast trade 9 and 10

WCE get 9, 10, 22 baker and green

Suns get Rioli, 23 and future 2nd

Richmond get pick 3 and Bailey Williams.

Getting there.

Between the three clubs all the 2nds, 3rds in 2024 and 2025 can get shuffled around to make something work for all parties IMO.

We need a 2nd for Busslinger hopefully.

We won’t get any priority picks but there’s two things we should be asking for that have little or no impact on other clubs

1) Better access to NGA players which may well be addressed anyway going by recent reports
2) Two extra rookie list spots which can be argued as necessary to help with travel loads and more depth in our standalone WAFL side

Neither are particularly controversial or are a massive leg up that would give us a significant advantage over other clubs

The other thing the AFL could do in light of concerns over the drop in indigenous numbers league wide is allow a third Cat B spot to allow for the time to develop players like Dewar, Baker and Livingstone

This is where I'm at also, embarrassingly I think norf jump us and we finish 17th. 9 and 10 is a bit of a stretch unfortunately I think our f1 will only get the 9 from GC but we could maybe try f1 + 23 for GC 9 and their 20

2- fos
9- travaglia
20- best available winger or key back
Junk pics- malakai

I'd personally keep h.edwards and witherden as insurance. B.Williams only gets traded for busslinger or Baker don't think we can afford to throw our r2 or f2 away for them. I'd chuck darling in the trade pile also

I'd also like to see a revamp of the coaching staff, we are a lot better side than bottom 4
I reckon Richmond more likely to jump us, if they finish last I think they’ll take FOS and not Smillie. Don’t think 9/10 is a stretch and will actually be 11/12. Lombard would be perfect for us and a high 2025 1R will come at an absolute premium after the mooted NGA changes.

I think we can all read between the lines.

We won’t get any priority picks but there’s two things we should be asking for that have little or no impact on other clubs

1) Better access to NGA players which may well be addressed anyway going by recent reports
2) Two extra rookie list spots which can be argued as necessary to help with travel loads and more depth in our standalone WAFL side

Neither are particularly controversial or are a massive leg up that would give us a significant advantage over other clubs

The other thing the AFL could do in light of concerns over the drop in indigenous numbers league wide is allow a third Cat B spot to allow for the time to develop players like Dewar, Baker and Livingstone
Given how awfully unproductive our rookie drafting has been in recent times i am not sure getting more rookie picks would make any difference.

Back