List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was watching the stream and didn’t see Tobie so figured he wasn’t playing for the Pioneers. Great, Tobie and Jimmy has a nice ring to it and will already have “backline chemistry”.

Jobe’s the best KPF in the draft IMO (yes better than Armstrong) but yes, very much off the menu for us unless we ended up trading Waterman.

If we don’t have to burn pick 58 on a Malakai bid and take Barrat or Dennis instead I’d be stoked.
To clarify Tobie is playing VFL for Carlton tomorrow and Jobe is playing VFL for Essendon tomorrow.
But today's game was in Melbourne so both were present at the game (but didn't play).

I was super high on Finn going into the year and thought he was easily the top prospect on pure ability. The problem is pretty much every time he has played it has lowered my ranking of him. Yes he has been injured and hasn't had continuity but he certainly hasn't shown the form even in 1 game deserving of a top 3 pick.

He hasn't shown the form deserving of a top 10 pick and if you're using anything below pick 15 you're really basing it on what he was able to produce last year plus his athletic testing.

Now where have we seen this playbook before? How many times have supporters of this club been disappointed by elite talents who had poor top years and were injured for large parts of it.

Oh but at 16/17 they were absolutely elite. Yes they were but every time you draft one of these players you take a huge risk.

Yes, Finn based upon this year certainly has some of, if not the highest upside of any player in the draft pool. But anyone selecting him is selecting on upside only and I'm not comfortable with just how many older quality players we have to turn over plus improve the overall list as well using a top 3 pick on that in a very even draft.

Question is, suppose no downgrade trade works out and we remain with pick 3, and suppose Draper is gone. Who would you hope we take?

There’s one last round next week and Oakleigh are out of finals contention. If clubs want another look at him after that it will have to be through the VFL.
There's the Wildcard Round in a couple of weeks which I would assume Oakleigh will be part of. Obviously if they lose that they will be out for the season.

If welsh rises up draft board does that decrease likelihood of crows grabbing norf pick 2

I'm feeling sick every game he plays he is marching up order.

Let's hope richmond pick Finn and we can spook norf with the remains of SA jhf.

Someone tell the power and Crows yo withdraw him from combine
If tonight’s results stay the same as half time I reckon it helps us. Don’t think the Roos will want to pick after back 2 back saints picks.

Plus a lot of interest for Lukisous from clubs so I reckon they will have to split.

Question is, suppose no downgrade trade works out and we remain with pick 3, and suppose Draper is gone. Who would you hope we take?

I'd bid on Lombard assuming we have pick 3.

Say purely hypothetical and we got to draft night and the 2 players I potentially want are off the board i'd even take slight unders on 3 and 23 for say 12 and 15.

Berry for 12. Don't know what it is but makes things happen, hits the scoreboard, super high footy IQ. Looks to me like what LeCras looked like he was going to be pre knee injury. Sure it'll probably take till he's 24-25 to start to hit that peak but imo the one thing you don't pass up due to position is the combination of elite decision making, very, very high level skills and great goal sense.

Also was a ****ing shit day for watching footy but Max Knobel shat on swan districts in what was i think his third league game. 12 disposals, 30+ hitouts, 5-6 tackles and 4 clearances by my count. Up against 200cm 100kg Germs and if im not mistaken formerly AFL listed Glass-McCasker who I looked every bit of 198 and heavier than his listed weight of 95kgs.

Say purely hypothetical and we got to draft night and the 2 players I potentially want are off the board i'd even take slight unders on 3 and 23 for say 12 and 15.

Berry for 12. Don't know what it is but makes things happen, hits the scoreboard, super high footy IQ. Looks to me like what LeCras looked like he was going to be pre knee injury. Sure it'll probably take till he's 24-25 to start to hit that peak but imo the one thing you don't pass up due to position is the combination of elite decision making, very, very high level skills and great goal sense.

Also was a ****ing shit day for watching footy but Max Knobel shat on swan districts in what was i think his third league game. 12 disposals, 30+ hitouts, 5-6 tackles and 4 clearances by my count. Up against 200cm 100kg Germs and if im not mistaken formerly AFL listed Glass-McCasker who I looked every bit of 198 and heavier than his listed weight of 95kgs.

Sure, but even then - we wouldn't actually get Lombard, and let's say no pick trade can be facilitated.You're Massey, and in the unfortunate position of now having to take pick 3, with (say) Smith and Draper off the table.

Pretty sure he's just waiting for our season to end to hand in his trade request.

Haven't seen any football today (probably a blessing) so no idea where Dev is at. Last time I checked in with the reserves Dev was still busting a gut, but his ball use by foot is still a work in progress.

I wouldn't even take 12 and 15 for 3 on its own.

Barrass out for hawks 1st + Pies 2nd(add more if Hawks win too much, Hawks F1 for our F2 sounds good)

FOS at 3, best mid available with Barrass pick
or
Draper at 3 and Travaglia with Barrass pick.

If Draper and FOS both there at 3, take FOS unless we are 100% sure that Travaglia will be there at Barrass pick.
Happy with FOS + Travaglia if it came to it

Trade in 1-2 mids like Dev/Sheldrick/Carrol/whoever for cheap.
Maybe 1-2 more random players we dont know about yet for cheap or as FA.

Put either 2nd rounder on the table for a young ruckman who could be good long term.
If no luck there then try to get Dodson with 23.
Take a KPD with Pies 2nd from the Hawks.

Offseason sorted :thumbsupemoji:

I can see Clark splitting it especially if we have the Hawks first as well. We need mids and it’s a mid draft up the top. Perfect fit for us
Yes but we need elite mids, which #3 gives us access to.

Probably our last chance to top up at this level also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would try to accomodate a slide but if nothing there, Lalor or Lindsay or even TT

There is a vibe about TT that reminds me about Hayden Young (TT not up to HY by foot but brilliant by hand)

What could our F1 fetch if we put it on the trade table? I’d only consider doing this if we got the Hawks F1 in a Barrass trade though.

Don’t see the Suns giving up pick 5 as that’ll be before a Lombard bid so they’d likely just use it on someone (if they don’t stupidly give it up for Rioli)

Fremantle would make sense if they struck out on Warner and didn’t want Bolton. F1 for 8 and Port’s 1st maybe? Though I doubt WC and Freo trade with one another.

Would love to somehow come away with Draper, Travaglia and any one of Lalor, Langford, M.Reid, Lindsay or Moraes.

Langford has a shitty ball drop which produces floaters, Smillies only attribute is he's a Greg Clarke height mid. I'd rather take FOS or Murphy Reid than pick a mid with poorer skills purely because he's taller. Zac Butters is 181, Daniel Kerr is 179cm and they're 2 of the hardest small mids I've seen. You've still got to be able to get around the park with some speed.

Trades with future picks are going to be interesting. Given how even the competition is, who rises and falls will be hard to gauge.

Example the Barrass deal. We ask for this years R1 and F1 and agree to swap F2 picks. Hawks would back themselves in for a top 4 and us a bottom 4 meaning they could give up 15/18 and 33/36 for 19/22 plus whatever their R1 will be this year (somewhere between 11 - 18). Alternatively they have a load of injuries and just miss the 8 while we rise up to 14th. The deal then becomes R1 this year plus 10 and 29 for Tom plus 23.

Will our recent show of spine damped valuations come October?

Are the Hawks likely to take the next step and be top 4 or will they have a slight wobble in 2025?

Even looking back 6 weeks ago, what odds would you have got for Blues, Pies, Drug Rats and Dees sitting in positions 9 10 11 and 12.

This is for Kingy not you but that stat is so simplistic and misleading. Gets the best forward every week but more importantly when you have opposition waltzing the ball out of half back and the midfield with no pressure to the point of them having the time to give the ball to the exact player they want delivering the ball inside 50 (see Merrett vs Bombers) then even the best KPD is going to get his arse handed to him.

Stephen Silvagni would have had bags kicked on his every week such has been our defensive forward and midfield pressure for most of this year.

TB has done extremely well to keep it to 34 goals.
Yeah acting like 34 goals is a lot is crazy. Two goals per game is a win if you are playing in a team as bad as ours.

Trading 3 and 23 for 12 and 15 is ridiculously dumb hahaha

Nearly as dumb as then taking a small forward with our first pick.

Trading 3 and 23 for 12 and 15 is ridiculously dumb hahaha

Nearly as dumb as then taking a small forward with our first pick.
Smith or Draper should be at the top our list. We need runner, accumulators who do a fair amout of work at stoppages and in congestion.

Hopefully North looks at them as surplus to their requirements with McKercher and takes one of FOS, Murphy or Langford.

If they're both gone at pick 1&2 then we take the best available.

If we want Berry then take him with the Barrass pick if available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back