List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
So we are all cheering for the Dogs to beat Hawthorn next week?

Have been death riding them since it first came out they were keen and they won't stop winning the pricks.

Wouldn't now be a great time to bring in a few players who may not be world beaters but are disciplined and who set high standards.
You don't have to be the best player on the ground but if you try your guts out on the training track AND on game day it will rub off on the group.
Setting standards is bloody important and at the moment we need more senior players who do it.
There's a bit of 2011 GWS about where we are now. We'll have a very young side over the next couple of years but still need people for the kids to follow and learn from. We won't be quite as bad as GWS were but if we have the leaders right, there's no reason why we couldn't be in the top 4 in five years' time like they were.

Once again your entire focus is making us a better side next year. Mine is making us a better side in five years. We are never going to agree.

Probably should watch more than 'a few' games of someone you are keen to bring into the club.

How many kids are going to stick around if we don't become more competitive?

They have seen other clubs take 10 and 20 years between playing finals.

We need mature players to help get the kids to 50 games over the next 2 to 3 years.

Said to people something along the lines of "im not sure why players would stay" to a few people in the media

Kind of along the lines of suggesting "why wouldnt any player want to leave" type comment.

Not really something he should say out allowed when you got guys like Yeo who just signed on if you ask me
If true, nice by the premiership winning Vice Captain under contract for c. 7-800k pa for the next 3 years... :oops:

Unfortunately we don’t have the luxury of holding on to TB in the hope he helps us win a flag next year. We need draft picks to speed up our rebuild and clubs know it

I for one, don’t want to be holding on to an underpaid, 29 year old Barrass next year, with every month he plays diminishing his trade value as he gets older.
Not winning a flag next year no matter what.

We need draft picks.... So why not get em. Eagles constantly accept Unders and it is infuriating. If the Hawks won't pony up this year, we play TB for another year and Hawks can try again next year.

He is a leader of the club, vice captain, and one of the best defenders in the league. We need to make sure we are looking ourselves, not Tom. He is the one REQUESTING a trade a few months after saying he wants to be an Eagle for life. If he is seriously unhappy at the eagles, then he should be happy to go on the open market, to any other club, especially after being linked to Sydney laster year, so its not a state thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Improvement comes by actually developing young players. Not by covering gaps with mediocre older guys. Im not against trading in midfielders that are actually good. Parfitt / Peatling are great options.

So in two years time we will be tracking like Hawthorn is by actually having a young midfield group? What a relief.

Well I think "You are wrong" and that your "premise makes no sense at all". We will find out this time next year.
Hawthorn have Nash in there doing the role we want Graham to do. Nash isnt a kid, hes the same age as Graham.
Nash takes the 3rd most amount of CBAs for the Hawks, only a couple of % behind Newcombe and Worpel
Last year(first year with no Mitchell/Omeara) Nash was their biggest CBA mid.

Is Nash a superstar? Did he hinder the development of the younger guys? I dont think he did tbh

Where did I say Wines is their defensive mid? Just strange of you to say Wines is past it when he is clearly still better than Graham who you desperately want.
Hes not the A grade super star that the other 3 are is what I was referring to. He doesnt play like a brownlow medallist anymore

Will have to wait and see how much comes out. We can definitely expect some media yelling by Barrass for sure

That much has been obvious from day 1 yeah?

Usually I’d just list all the “inside knowledge” rubbish you’ve come up with that’s been demonstrably wrong. But that never has any effect, so what’s the point?

I’ll just wait to add this one to the list.

Usually I’d just list all the “inside knowledge” rubbish you’ve come up with that’s been demonstrably wrong. But that never has any effect, so what’s the point?

I’ll just wait to add this one to the list.
You owe me like 3 apologies and never gave 1 so im not expecting you to come back if it comes out in the press so whats the point

This was my post for Oct last year. We achieved 5 wins, got the 3rd pick, and improved our % by 15% (53% -> 68%.
1724825572436.png
Next season we need to be closer to 7 wins, with an improved % (ideally around 85%) to show the type of improvement that will keep the kids happy and feeling positive. That's why adding Graham/Parfitt/Soldo? Baker? isn't the end of the world.

If we don't we run the risk of doing a North, and then you'll see some of our kids (REID) starting getting itchy feet to leave.

You owe me like 3 apologies and never gave 1 so im not expecting you to come back if it comes out in the press so whats the point

I’m sorry I didn’t push harder for that account bet when you reckoned Williams and Darling were going to be ruled out with groin injuries.

Was that one of them?

We have to embrace that tho if we want to uncover and develop young players. Also add in hutch. Thats plenty of youth to choose from.

The reason this rebuild has been tracking so slow is because we have kept wasting minutes on players over 25 who are clearly not going to be around for our next premiership.

The rebuild isn’t tracking slowly, it just started late. We are 2 drafts (soon to be 3) into a list turnover. It probably takes 5 drafts.

Let’s say Hutch goes on with his half-a-game form. He probably pushes Kelly to a wing. Great. It doesn’t mean we have no space for both more experience and more youth.

I don’t see people screaming for us to just draft rucks and KPD’s and maybe a small forward because the chop outs we got from Petch, Ryan, Chesser, Duggan etc were so so exciting. Plenty of scope to not have those guys in the guts (Ryan on the odd occasion) allowing us to bring in 2x experienced mids plus youth.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

People get that improving your floor doesnt include the words '4 year contract" to a guy surely

Graham isnt coming here to play WAFL. He is coming to play every single week for the next 4 years.
He only costs us money. His defensive profile will free up Harley and easy the grunt work Yeo has to do. we need mature bodies to protect the battered up veterans (Yeo) and prevent the kids from getting battered (reid etal)

Relax.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

what is not positive about that? It represents fair value for someone who is 28 and has a permanent back issue. And remember, pick 12 becomes 11 if the Hawks lose and Carlton win in the first week of the finals. Also, it would make GC 6 and 13, 6 & 12.

Tom Hawkins had a permanent back issue in 2013. 200 games and about 500 goals later….

Not bad.

People get that improving your floor doesnt include the words '4 year contract" to a guy surely

Graham isnt coming here to play WAFL. He is coming to play every single week for the next 4 years.
Flynn also wasnt coming here to play WAFL, but now he might not even break into the side next year if his late season WAFL form is anything to go by.
Things change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back