List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Can the club hurry up and announce some delistings? At least we'll actually have something to talk about for two minutes.
I get that everyone salivating over the end of some poor footy player's career however it's unlikely anything happens until after the B&F.

Port have 3 high quality mids. Wines is past it.

Yeo, Reid, Hutch and Graham doing 50-70% CBAs each with Hewett, Kelly and pick 3 rotating through would be a decent midfield next year, better than our current one anyway
Wines is still substantially better than Graham mate. Do you actually watch these guys player / look at stats? Or is it all based on random vibes.

Port has five midfielders that performed at a level better than Reid this year. Drew, JHF, Rozee, Butters and Wines are all guns. The worst of the five was 33% better than Graham based on player ratings.

An interesting day for Travaglia. Switching back to defense instead of the midfield role he had been playing, he copped an early injury and spent the majority of the first quarter off the ground as a result. That injury may have been effecting him when he returned to play as he struggled to effect the game as much as he typically does, although his pressure and tackling was still as intense as ever. With the Pioneers needing a spark Travaglia was moved into the forward line in the fourth quarter and produced an exciting cameo, kicking a couple of highlight reel worthy goals to show just how much untapped potential he possesses.

Once again your entire focus is making us a better side next year. Mine is making us a better side in five years. We are never going to agree.

Probably should watch more than 'a few' games of someone you are keen to bring into the club.
You are wrong.
Im solely about the future. Unless you mean you want pick 1 or 2 again next year as your "future focus" then yeah we disagree.

We have so many list holes that we cant defend properly. If we cant defend properly we will continue to get thrashed when we cant win the contested ball which is already hard enough without a ruckman.
Improvement comes from confidence and belief in ability, that comes through results.

None of the kids coming through project as good defensive mids. Hall is an accumulator, Reid/Hewett/pick 3 **** no, theres nobody else.
Hutch maybe, but we have no idea, id imagine hes better when trying to win the ball though.

In 2 years we have no mids over 24, assuming Hutch ends up as a mid. If Hutch isnt a mid then we have none over 23

Im sorry but your entire premise makes no sense at all, for short or long term

Wines is still substantially better than Graham mate. Do you actually watch these guys player / look at stats? Or is it all based on random vibes.

Port has five midfielders that performed at a level better than Reid this year. Drew, JHF, Rozee, Butters and Wines are all guns. The worst of the five was 33% better than Graham based on player ratings.
Wines isnt their defensive mid, Wines is not a high quality mid either. Hes still good, but hes fallen off where he once was.

Their player ratings look good because theyre all better than Graham and theyre winning games.

Graham is free. We have nobody else to fill the role.

No defensive midfield is like going into a game without a KPD

You are wrong.
Im solely about the future. Unless you mean you want pick 1 or 2 again next year as your "future focus" then yeah we disagree.

We have so many list holes that we cant defend properly. If we cant defend properly we will continue to get thrashed when we cant win the contested ball which is already hard enough without a ruckman.
Improvement comes from confidence and belief in ability, that comes through results.

None of the kids coming through project as good defensive mids. Hall is an accumulator, Reid/Hewett/pick 3 **** no, theres nobody else.
Hutch maybe, but we have no idea, id imagine hes better when trying to win the ball though.

In 2 years we have no mids over 24, assuming Hutch ends up as a mid. If Hutch isnt a mid then we have none over 23

Im sorry but your entire premise makes no sense at all, for short or long term
Improvement comes by actually developing young players. Not by covering gaps with mediocre older guys. Im not against trading in midfielders that are actually good. Parfitt / Peatling are great options.

So in two years time we will be tracking like Hawthorn is by actually having a young midfield group? What a relief.

Well I think "You are wrong" and that your "premise makes no sense at all". We will find out this time next year.

It depends, as always.

Was Jayden Hunt a bad acquisition in your view as well?

If we can get an experienced depth player for peanuts, I'd be happy. I'd have a different view if we had like 5 picks in the top 40, which we don't (at the moment).
Hunt plays a position where we had minimal senior / junior talent.

Hopefully we get more.

Contract signed in good faith. In my world thats a question of integrity.

We are four years behind port. Lets worry about a defensive mid role when we are pushing the top 8 at least.

How many times have you watched graham play this year? Be honest?

Yeo might be our best clearance winner right now but he should be transitioned out of that role. Duggans games in the midfield this year have been better than Graham. The stats support that. Fair point about loss of senior players in backline tho.

A lot of what you are saying makes sense if we were a top six team. But these things just shouldnt be a concern this early in a rebuild.
Wouldn't now be a great time to bring in a few players who may not be world beaters but are disciplined and who set high standards.
You don't have to be the best player on the ground but if you try your guts out on the training track AND on game day it will rub off on the group.
Setting standards is bloody important and at the moment we need more senior players who do it.

Wines isnt their defensive mid, Wines is not a high quality mid either. Hes still good, but hes fallen off where he once was.

Their player ratings look good because theyre all better than Graham and theyre winning games.

Graham is free. We have nobody else to fill the role.

No defensive midfield is like going into a game without a KPD
Where did I say Wines is their defensive mid? Just strange of you to say Wines is past it when he is clearly still better than Graham who you desperately want.

Hunt plays a position where we had minimal senior / junior talent.

Hopefully we get more.

Fair.

If we parted with say pick 23 for Graham I'd be irritated. But 58 or whatever? Meh, if we used that pick it's highly likely it would be a bust anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don’t even know what their R1 pick is yet, I’d ignore that and even if it was pick 12 I don’t think we’d accept that deal.
correct, Hawks first could be as low as 11 if they lose their first final and Carlton win, or as high as 18 if they win the GF. It will be known at the time trading starts.

Barrass will go to Hawks and we will get a good deal.
Baker and Graham will come to Eagles on a fair deal and next year we will be happy they did.
Bolton will get to Freo and will have some massive games and some "where the hell is he" games.
As sure as what Mr Kennedy posted a few pages back.

Fair.

If we parted with say pick 23 for Graham I'd be irritated. But 58 or whatever? Meh, if we used that pick it's highly likely it would be a bust anyway.
And when we part with no pick whatsoever for him because he’s a free agent? Even better.

Improvement comes by actually developing young players. Not by covering gaps with mediocre older guys. Im not against trading in midfielders that are actually good. Parfitt / Peatling are great options.

So in two years time we will be tracking like Hawthorn is by actually having a young midfield group? What a relief.

Well I think "You are wrong" and that your "premise makes no sense at all". We will find out this time next year.
How's that going for North, having lots of young players and few senior bodies to protect or develop them?

From what I have heard with Baker he’s not keen to go to freo but he’s also wanting to see his club compensated adequately enough to see him go.

Which is fair enough. In which case I hope we try and package our Barrass pick(s) appropriately so we don’t lose too much draft capital.
I don't think players should be getting involved in compensation matters TBH.

Just nominate your club and let the list managers deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back