List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Some hawk in the knows reckon first and future second as hawks don’t want to be completely left with shite picks this year. Plus some shuffling of later picks whatever that means. Probably not positive for us.

Fremantle have 9,10,27 and wherever Ports pick lands (currently 17)

If they’re keen on Bolton, ports pick plus 9 would be close to getting it done

They aren’t giving 10 for Baker nor are they likely to offer a F1 for him

Not convinced either WA club are giving up a first round pick for Baker who’s a nice to have type player but not a priority

I’d be ok trading our F2 for him but that’d be the ceiling imo. And I’m not convinced Freo are beating that, especially if they get Bolton or are hell bent on chasing Warner
I'd be in Richmond's best interest to hedge their bets and get a few futures this year. It is only speculation this year's drafts strong

Maybe
Freo give Richmond 10 and 27orF2
Richmond give freo- baker + 6 (from GC)

Why are you comparing us to Port hahaha. Drew is also twice the player Graham is.

Theres obviously an important role for defensive mids. They actually have to be good at AFL footy tho. I massively question the role in a bottom four teams side where the focus should be on developing players.

Make Yeo or Duggan defensive mid. Obvious solution if we want the role.
I've seen enough of Hutchinson to think he could be a defensive or offensive mid. He is really hard at it and I thought he was terrific when put in the midfield against Geelong. Another pre-season and will be bigger and stronger. Seems a natural footballer to me!

I understand the reason why Graham is better than Sheed for us. I just think our extra midfield spot would be far far better suited for our Pick 3 / Hewett / Hutchinson / Hall to use. We are setting ourselves back by not developing our young midfielders to fit a role player in the side.

Duggan is better than Graham anyway. Let him play that role if we are desperate.
Fair enough. As a sanity check, do you think having Graham on our list would improve us?

Not saying is he worth the opportunity cost (eg cash spent, a list spot, depriving others of minutes) cause I understand you think there’s better ways to use the finite resources of each club, that’s fine.

But just if he dropped onto our list, do you think he’d offer an improvement on what we currently have (acknowledging that simply being better than 16th isn’t the end goal).

Because they are a very similar example of how we probably should be structuring our midfield. Not many clubs have the offensive weapons coming through that Port have, id like to think we are on the path to something similar.
JHF, Rozee, Butters vs Reid, Hewett and Draper

Graham is 100% fine, hes not a star but hes more than good enough to play AFL. Its like you think hes a VFL player or something LMAO

Yeo is not a defensive mid, hes our best clearance winner. Absolute waste to put him on somebody.
Duggan we dont want in the middle, Graham is just as good of a mid as Duggan, if not better. At least Graham doesnt try to kick it so much. We severaly lack experience in the backline now with Witho and Barrass likely gone. Id prefer him in the backline playing a defensive role.
We are four years behind port. Lets worry about a defensive mid role when we are pushing the top 8 at least.

How many times have you watched graham play this year? Be honest?

Yeo might be our best clearance winner right now but he should be transitioned out of that role. Duggans games in the midfield this year have been better than Graham. The stats support that. Fair point about loss of senior players in backline tho.

A lot of what you are saying makes sense if we were a top six team. But these things just shouldnt be a concern this early in a rebuild.

Anyone want to post the "ITK" Richmond poster nonsense with the Barrass trade keep in mind they just proposed a new deal.

They don't have a ****ing clue.

Fair enough. As a sanity check, do you think having Graham on our list would improve us?

Not saying is he worth the opportunity cost (eg cash spent, a list spot, depriving others of minutes) cause I understand you think there’s better ways to use the finite resources of each club, that’s fine.

But just if he dropped onto our list, do you think he’d offer an improvement on what we currently have (acknowledging that simply being better than 16th isn’t the end goal).
He would improve us next year. I just dont think that should be the goal. We need to find four to five high quality young mids if we want to challenge in five years time. Wasting a playing spot on a player such as Graham prevents that.

The average age of our midfield next year would be 27 which makes zero sense in a team as bad as us.

I've seen enough of Hutchinson to think he could be a defensive or offensive mid. He is really hard at it and I thought he was terrific when put in the midfield against Geelong. Another pre-season and will be bigger and stronger. Seems a natural footballer to me!
Yeah should be an auto pick for midfield minutes early next year.

Some hawk in the knows reckon first and future second as hawks don’t want to be completely left with shite picks this year. Plus some shuffling of later picks whatever that means. Probably not positive for us.
what is not positive about that? It represents fair value for someone who is 28 and has a permanent back issue. And remember, pick 12 becomes 11 if the Hawks lose and Carlton win in the first week of the finals. Also, it would make GC 6 and 13, 6 & 12.

Yeah nah, their coming hard after an elite player that's contracted.

They are absolutely going to be left with shit picks, and they're gonna like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He would improve us next year. I just dont think that should be the goal. We need to find four to five high quality young mids if we want to challenge in five years time. Wasting a playing spot on a player such as Graham prevents that.

The average age of our midfield next year would be 27 which makes zero sense in a team as bad as us.

It depends, as always.

Was Jayden Hunt a bad acquisition in your view as well?

If we can get an experienced depth player for peanuts, I'd be happy. I'd have a different view if we had like 5 picks in the top 40, which we don't (at the moment).

We are four years behind port. Lets worry about a defensive mid role when we are pushing the top 8 at least.
Just because Port are ahead of us doesnt mean we cant fix EASILY filled list holes. Its an absolutely urgent need.
No competent midfield can survive with Yeo, Kelly, Reid and a first year player as our onball brigade, ESPECIALLY without a ruck who can win hitouts.
Honestly this is one of the dumbest things ive read all day, and ive been on the D&T board
How many times have you watched graham play this year? Be honest?
a few
Yeo might be our best clearance winner right now but he should be transitioned out of that role. Duggans games in the midfield this year have been better than Graham. The stats support that. Fair point about loss of senior players in backline tho.
You want to transition our BEST midfielder into being a role player, while hes still playing well and when our alternative clearance mids are still at sub 30 games?
Disagree with Duggan. If Duggan could help himself and stop kicking the ball so much, or there was an experienced defender on the free agency market who could lead the backline, then id agree.
Duggan can go mid or back. There are mids on the market, so we take whats on offer. Means Duggan goes back.
A lot of what you are saying makes sense if we were a top six team. But these things just shouldnt be a concern this early in a rebuild.
It makes sense for literally every team thats ever played the game of AFL.
What youre suggesting is like trying to go into a game without a KPD, and running an attacking half back on the likes of Curnow or Hogan.

Wasting a midfield slot on a Graham in a bottom four side that could be given to youth just makes zero sense. What are we genuinely trying to achieve? We will have so much talent on the list to play through the middle next year and we want to use a mediocre 27 year old in their instead?

Are we though?

Pick 3, Reid, Hall (?), Hewett (?), Ginbey (??), Chesser (??)

More ? is hopefully self explanatory as to whether they will actually play mid (injury/talent/not-proven/best-position).

Then add Kelly and Yeo (both over 30, and both have positional flexibility).

It’s not a deep list.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fair call. Thought I had mentioned my source. Lesson to not post on bigfooty following night shift.

He's getting a game at the worst club in the league. Thats like me saying guys like Witherden are AFL quality because they played all year for us.

I mean i disagree its an exaggeration. Plenty of guys that are much better than Graham are playing state footy at the moment. Sheed is likely to play state footy next year and I think he is similar quality to Graham.
You know the worst clubs in the league still have players that would be walk-up starts to all the other teams in the league. Hell, we have a couple ourselves.

Good teams have 2-3 high quality mids, with role players around them btw
Take Kelly out and replace him with Graham. Take Duggan+Petch out and replace him with pick 3. Take Ginbey out and replace him with Hewett.
A far more balanced midfield

Hows our average age then?

Are we though?

Pick 3, Reid, Hall (?), Hewett (?), Ginbey (??), Chesser (??)

More ? is hopefully self explanatory as to whether they will actually play mid (injury/talent/not-proven/best-position).

Then add Kelly and Yeo (both over 30, and both have positional flexibility).

It’s not a deep list.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
We have to embrace that tho if we want to uncover and develop young players. Also add in hutch. Thats plenty of youth to choose from.

The reason this rebuild has been tracking so slow is because we have kept wasting minutes on players over 25 who are clearly not going to be around for our next premiership.

Good teams have 2-3 high quality mids, with role players around them btw

Take Kelly out and replace him with Graham. Take Duggan+Petch out and replace him with pick 3. Take Ginbey out and replace him with Hewett.
A far more balanced midfield

Hows our average age then?
The example you used (Port) has way more than 2-3 high quality mids hahaha.

That midfield would get beaten far worse than our current midfield.

Just because Port are ahead of us doesnt mean we cant fix EASILY filled list holes. Its an absolutely urgent need.
No competent midfield can survive with Yeo, Kelly, Reid and a first year player as our onball brigade, ESPECIALLY without a ruck who can win hitouts.
Honestly this is one of the dumbest things ive read all day, and ive been on the D&T board

a few

You want to transition our BEST midfielder into being a role player, while hes still playing well and when our alternative clearance mids are still at sub 30 games?
Disagree with Duggan. If Duggan could help himself and stop kicking the ball so much, or there was an experienced defender on the free agency market who could lead the backline, then id agree.
Duggan can go mid or back. There are mids on the market, so we take whats on offer. Means Duggan goes back.

It makes sense for literally every team thats ever played the game of AFL.
What youre suggesting is like trying to go into a game without a KPD, and running an attacking half back on the likes of Curnow or Hogan.
Once again your entire focus is making us a better side next year. Mine is making us a better side in five years. We are never going to agree.

Probably should watch more than 'a few' games of someone you are keen to bring into the club.

We don’t even know what their R1 pick is yet, I’d ignore that and even if it was pick 12 I don’t think we’d accept that deal.

The example you used (Port) has way more than 2-3 high quality mids hahaha.

That midfield would get beaten far worse than our current midfield.
Port have 3 high quality mids. Wines is past it.

Yeo, Reid, Hutch and Graham doing 50-70% CBAs each with Hewett, Kelly and pick 3 rotating through would be a decent midfield next year, better than our current one anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back