List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 36 27.1%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 17 12.8%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

star wars GIF

Paying an injury prone, over 30 year old $800,000 a year is absolute madness when we’re going to finish bottom 5 for the foreseeable future and should be rebuilding. Right know we’re still paying Natanui’s contract and Gaff huge money to play twos ffs.

What the f*** are they thinking.

If you’re going to just make up a figure, decide it’s fact and melt about it, why not go all out?

Can’t believe we’re paying Yeo $1.75m per season for the next three seasons smh.

FWIW, Duffield is reporting Yeo’s contract to be around $2m over the 3 years which is in line with what had been reported previously

It is also entirely reasonable

Zak seems to be a footballer in search of a position, or perhaps just an old school utility that can play very well no matter where he is on the ground. He started this game in the floating/intercepting defensive role that we've seen him playing the last month or so at Talent League level, but with the Knights getting overrun in through the midfield he was enlisted to help onball in the third quarter. He responded with a big term, finding the footy and surging his team forward, getting involved in multiple scoring chains and even getting on the end of one himself.

He is one of my favourites this year will be a later draft pick but is real quality extremely young as well turns 18 at end of year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of The Snitch’s favourites back when screw-in-studs were a thing and fish and chips were still wrapped in newspaper was crafty Richmond forward Kevin Bartlett.

KB, or “Hungry” as he was known, was a weapon for his coaches, Tommy Hafey and Tony Jewell, a player they could run through the middle and throw forward knowing whatever happened goals would flow.

Bartlett wore number 29 on one of those old lace up jerseys.

Ahhhh, 29. It’s a number close to my heart.

Australia’s only FREE digital newspaper that drops at night delivering national and global stories you need to know.
READ NOW
Mrs Snitch and I once had a wonderful holiday following the 29th parallel north, which took us through such enchanting and often inhospitable countries like Algeria, Libya, India, China, Mexico and the US. We had a delightful mai tai on that trip at Latitude 29 bar on Bourbon Street in New Orleans.

I’ll admit I’m a bit of a maths geek – Eddie Woo’s Wonderful World of Maths is on my bedside table as we speak – and my favourite number is, you guessed it, 29.

Did you know? 29 is the sum of three consecutive squares, 22 + 32 + 42. It’s also the sixth Sophie Germain prime, a tetranacci number and an Eisenstein prime.

Anyway, back to Bartlett. He didn’t have much hair but boy could did he know where the goals were and operated with a kick to handball ratio of 29:1.

The Sydney Swans and The Snitch haven’t always been best buddies.

OPINION

AFLThe Snitch’s ‘Plugga’ moment as Dockers hunt Baker, Bolton

The Snitch
The Dockers appear to be playing the long game with Chad Warner.

OPINION

AFLThe Snitch: Freo fingerprints all over Warner’s Perth visit

The Snitch
So it won’t surprise anyone that the number 29 at Tigerland is still one of The Snitch’s favourites.

Shai Bolton can do it all.

He can electrify a midfield with a sidestep and a shimmy, take a hang on someone’s head and, like Bartlett, sure knows where the goals are.

Shai’s everywhere on the footy field and he’s been everywhere on a trip back to his home town of Perth this week, weaving his way through meetings with representatives of West Coast and Fremantle.

He even appeared at a press conference on Thursday morning, to help kick off Education Minister Tony Buti’s Running Challenge to promote health and fitness ahead of this year’s Perth Running Festival.

Good on him for promoting a good cause.

Education Minister Tony Buti launches his running challenge at Shelley Primary School. Pictured running with some children is Richmond player Shai Bolton.
Education Minister Tony Buti launches his running challenge at Shelley Primary School. Pictured running with some children is Richmond player Shai Bolton. Credit: Ian Munro/The West Australian
Dockers or Eagles fans should not be put off by the fact Bolton is in year one of a five-year deal with the Tigers.

What do contracts mean in these times of lateral trades? Anything is possible in this modern AFL world and Fremantle and West Coast have deep wish lists and even deeper pockets.

Another Tiger with a classy pedigree, Liam Baker has also been back in his native State for casual chats.

The Snitch even believes the words five years were mentioned in Baker’s presence.

Like The Snitch revealed a fortnight ago when Chad Warner was a guest at Crown, courtesy of the Dockers, you have to aim high these days.

So where does the S man see them fitting in, best-case scenario?

Liam Baker.
Liam Baker. Credit: Michael Willson/AFL Photos
Wouldn’t Warner look good alongside Harley Reid in that West Coast midfield? It would be a duo to rival Batman and Robin, Marlin and Dory, SpongeBob and Patrick, Simon and Garfunkel, Shaggy and Scooby, Woody and Buzz Lightyear, Shrek and Donkey, Wayne Campbell and Garth Algar.

Just close your eyes Fremantle fans and imagine Bolton at half-forward? After all, Son Son is closer to the end of his career than the start.

I’m sure Cooper Simpson, the current owner of Fremantle’s 29 jumper, could be convinced to hand it over if the Dockers land their man.

Just like Pav, Bolton would fill it well.
Based on writing style, the Snitch has to be Ryan daniels

Based on writing style, the Snitch has to be Ryan daniels
No way, it reads like a boomer. Plus I don't think 35 year old Ryan Daniels would have taken a trip to Libya, it's been extremely dangerous ever since Gadaffi was removed in 2011, would be a pretty strange place to take your young wife.

FWIW, Duffield is reporting Yeo’s contract to be around $2m over the 3 years which is in line with what had been reported previously

It is also entirely reasonable

Hopefully structured something like:
2025 - $1mil
2026 - $700k
2027 - $300k

Reid out of contract end of 2026, so plenty of space required for ‘27.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Suns aren't even giving up 10 on its own for Rioli

Well they arent getting him. He is contracted until 2027.

What did the Suns pay for Weller again? Pick 2.

Suns dont value top draft picks. They are drunk on all the handouts and academy discount benefits allowing them to trade forward and stockpile picks.

People gotta sit up and admit

Its dire and ugly when you got 2 players you want on the delist pile in Jones and Rotham so close to the coaches best 25.....

Im a tad concerned myself that both get contract extensions at the expense of younger players we should be keeping.

To me it almost feels like the writing is on the wall for both Burgiel and Culley given the situation at present, which is insanely dumb, but here we are

People gotta sit up and admit

Its dire and ugly when you got 2 players you want on the delist pile in Jones and Rotham so close to the coaches best 25.....

Im a tad concerned myself that both get contract extensions at the expense of younger players we should be keeping.

To me it almost feels like the writing is on the wall for both Burgiel and Culley given the situation at present, which is insanely dumb, but here we are
Both have spent significant time on the sidelines since being drafted. Development wise, both are effectively still first year players. Jones and Rotham only have contracts as they will be depth players from next year onwards.

Back