List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone is wondering how our first half of the seasons 'player ratings' stack up in each age bracket, that is below.

Of the 615 players that have played this season, 38 of them are Eagles.

Below is where they rank in their age brackets:

32 Years (25 players): Gov (3rd overall), Cripps (9th), Darling (20th), Gaff (21st)

31 Years (32 players): Yeo (2nd)

30 Years (26 players): Kelly (3rd)

29 years (39 players): Barrass (12th), Hunt (23rd), Sheed (35th)

28 Years (39 players): Duggan (15th), Ryan (25th)

27 Years (45 players): Flynn (23rd), Cole (33rd)

26 Years (59 players): Waterman (6th), Witherdan (27th), Rotham (58th), Jones (59th)

25 Years (47 players): Petruccelle (39th) , Allen (47th)

24 Years (49 players): B.Williams (15th), H.Edwards (23rd), Jamieson (44th)

23 Years (52 players): Hutchinson (34th)

22 Years (54 players): Brockman (32nd), L.Edwards (43rd), Trew (50th)

21 Years (54 players): Chesser (28th), J.Williams (29th), Hough (34th), Culley (49th)

20 Years (34 players): Ginbey (4th), Maric (18th), Long (19th), Dewar (29th), Barnett (33rd)

19 Years (30 players): Reid (1st), Johnston (27th), Rawlinson (30th)

Not breaking news but confirms the thoughts that a handful of older players and a handful of younger players are holding this team together.

Only 2 players (B.Willaims & Waterman) in the top 15 players between 21 years of age & 27 years of age. Allen would usually be amongst that group if it wasn't for injury.

* There are players above 32, however no Eagles, so I haven't included that.
Last one and I will pack this away until after the season is complete.

I know these can be a bit contentious, but here goes.

Ranking by position:

Key Defender (67): Gov (5th), Barrass (7th), H.Edwards (29th), Jamieson (58th)

Key Forward (77): Waterman (1st), Darling (42nd), J.Williams (44th), Allen (77th)

Med Defender (120): Duggan (29th), Witherden (42nd), Cole (66th), Hough (95th), Rotham (111th)

Med Forward (124): Cripps (26th), Ryan (61st), Hutchinson (67th), Petch (74th), Brockman (83rd), Maric (89th), Long (93rd), Jones (112th), Dewar (117th), Trew (120th), Rawlinson (123rd)

Mid Forward (34): L.Edwards (29th), Johnston (31st), Culley (32nd)

Midfielder (156): Yeo (16th), Kelly (30th), Reid (33rd), Ginbey (78th), Hunt (96th), Chesser (116th), Gaff (126th), Sheed (139th)

Ruck (37): B.Williams (24th), Flynn (29th), Barnett (37)

Some players we have been linked with/or their name has been floated in here multiple times:
Key Defender: Ben Miller (12th)

Med Defender: Perryman (35th), McVee (44), Cutrin (107th), Hardeman (116th), Smith (120th)

Key Forward:

Med Forward:
Garcia (16th), Guelfi (40th), B.Hill (42nd), R.West (44th), S.Green (102nd), Collard (121st), Corey Warner (122nd)

Mid Forward: Bolton (1st), Baker (3rd), Ainsworth (16th), Carroll (23rd), Tunstil (26th), D.Roberston (30th), Erasmus (33rd)

Midfielder: Chad Warner (14th), A.Davies (58th), W.Phillips (80th), Ed Allan (118th)

Ruck: Moyle (8th), English (9th), Bryan (19th)

Disclaimer
Based off 'Player Ratings', which is Champion Data's ranking system, for the first half of this season. Not my own rankings.
** Ratings are affected if player has limited time due to injury, sub etc. If they haven't played, they won't have a registered a rating.
*** Yes, I know, Hough is lower than he could be. His rating has been damaged by his ratings from RD1 (0.5), Rd5 (2.4), RD9 (1.3) & RD11 (-2.3). Without those games, he averages around 7.4 and would be ranked around 63rd, above Cole.

How much can we offer without being stupid about it? I dont want us to go offer 2mil a season to Warner, 1.5mil is close to right, but if Freo offer similar to us then we are not more attractive in that context

Its not just Sharp

They clearly have a good young list, anybody disputing that is blind. They have been playing like a top 6 side this year, while their best players are nearly all still under 25, with none over 30. One of the youngest clubs around.
If a player was looking to come to WA then Freo would have to be the more attractive club if they want success in the near future.
Past history doesnt mean anything, they have a completely different list now, different coach, etc

Disagree, if he slips past us then it is what it is. It would be a huge win if we got him though. Freo are getting pretty good crowds these days to the point where Optus isnt that far off being filled. Give them a couple more years in the 8 with some success and theyll be averaging 50k+, only a few thousand below us if we turn things around.
Does a couple thousand people in the crowd make a difference? I dont think it does

a couple hundred k on a 10mil+ contract is pretty irrelevant, he will look where he can enjoy his footy and have success. Warner is the same age as most of Freos young guns, we are still building and are unlikely to be any chance of playing finals for at least a couple of years still.

Idk why im defending Freo, but they would be way ahead as an attractive club for a young star coming home. Thats just where we are at right now

$200k pa times 7 or 9 years irrelevant? Thats $1.4 to $1.8 million.

Or did you read that as $200k more in total over the entire contract?

Would you be ok with Freo outbidding us by $200k per year?

Crowds.....meh....pretty similar so not a factor.

Club stability including list management / stability and being looked after post football?

Now that point I can see the Eagles beating Freo without a thought. The number of players who leave tells a story doesnt it?

Quality of forward line? Again Eagles can argue they are equal to if not ahead.

Defense? After Gov TB at 29 is the next oldest. Pearce 29 and then? Id suggest if we can land Busslinger this trade period our tall defenders run deeper than Freo. Ryan at 186cm isnt a key defender.

So then its our midfield versus Freo's at the end of 2025. And Warner is a gun mid.

Eagles just flogged Freo this season with a rebuilding team.

Feel you are over selling Freo here.

Dockers have 3 top 20 picks we have one, we need at least three in the top 25, I reckon.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Swans dont want late teen picks. They currently hold two this year. They have academy kids chewing up those teen picks every year.

For any trade for Warner they will demand a top 5 pick plus more.

Swans trade Warner for three picks in the teens. Lose two to academy bids. Is that good trading?

Also top 10 picks will become gold the couple of drafts before Tassie comes in as every club will be scrambling to trade for them before it dries up.

PSD would come into play as no way do the Eagles pass on Warner to let Freo land him.

So how do Freo land a top 5 pick?

Last edited:

Dockers have 3 top 20 picks we have one, we need at least three in the top 25, I reckon.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app
This sounds a bit like the North Melbourne recruiting team trying to offer for Harley Reid last year. All top 20 picks aren't created equal so not sure the 3-1 is a good illustration.

On current calculations, we have infinity times the number of top 5 picks that Freo have this year.

Anyone got this?

699dd89e6c77df0febc76df6b741a776.jpg

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

One of The Snitch’s favourites back when screw-in-studs were a thing and fish and chips were still wrapped in newspaper was crafty Richmond forward Kevin Bartlett.

KB, or “Hungry” as he was known, was a weapon for his coaches, Tommy Hafey and Tony Jewell, a player they could run through the middle and throw forward knowing whatever happened goals would flow.

Bartlett wore number 29 on one of those old lace up jerseys.

Ahhhh, 29. It’s a number close to my heart.

Australia’s only FREE digital newspaper that drops at night delivering national and global stories you need to know.
READ NOW
Mrs Snitch and I once had a wonderful holiday following the 29th parallel north, which took us through such enchanting and often inhospitable countries like Algeria, Libya, India, China, Mexico and the US. We had a delightful mai tai on that trip at Latitude 29 bar on Bourbon Street in New Orleans.

I’ll admit I’m a bit of a maths geek – Eddie Woo’s Wonderful World of Maths is on my bedside table as we speak – and my favourite number is, you guessed it, 29.

Did you know? 29 is the sum of three consecutive squares, 22 + 32 + 42. It’s also the sixth Sophie Germain prime, a tetranacci number and an Eisenstein prime.

Anyway, back to Bartlett. He didn’t have much hair but boy could did he know where the goals were and operated with a kick to handball ratio of 29:1.

The Sydney Swans and The Snitch haven’t always been best buddies.

OPINION
AFLThe Snitch’s ‘Plugga’ moment as Dockers hunt Baker, Bolton​

The Snitch

The Dockers appear to be playing the long game with [PLAYERCARD]Chad Warner[/PLAYERCARD].

OPINION
AFLThe Snitch: Freo fingerprints all over Warner’s Perth visit​

The Snitch

So it won’t surprise anyone that the number 29 at Tigerland is still one of The Snitch’s favourites.

Shai Bolton can do it all.

He can electrify a midfield with a sidestep and a shimmy, take a hang on someone’s head and, like Bartlett, sure knows where the goals are.

Shai’s everywhere on the footy field and he’s been everywhere on a trip back to his home town of Perth this week, weaving his way through meetings with representatives of West Coast and Fremantle.

He even appeared at a press conference on Thursday morning, to help kick off Education Minister Tony Buti’s Running Challenge to promote health and fitness ahead of this year’s Perth Running Festival.

Good on him for promoting a good cause.

Education Minister Tony Buti launches his running challenge at Shelley Primary School. Pictured running with some children is Richmond player [PLAYERCARD]Shai Bolton[/PLAYERCARD].
Education Minister Tony Buti launches his running challenge at Shelley Primary School. Pictured running with some children is Richmond player Shai Bolton. Credit: Ian Munro/The West Australian
Dockers or Eagles fans should not be put off by the fact Bolton is in year one of a five-year deal with the Tigers.

What do contracts mean in these times of lateral trades? Anything is possible in this modern AFL world and Fremantle and West Coast have deep wish lists and even deeper pockets.

Another Tiger with a classy pedigree, Liam Baker has also been back in his native State for casual chats.

The Snitch even believes the words five years were mentioned in Baker’s presence.

Like The Snitch revealed a fortnight ago when Chad Warner was a guest at Crown, courtesy of the Dockers, you have to aim high these days.

So where does the S man see them fitting in, best-case scenario?

[PLAYERCARD]Liam Baker[/PLAYERCARD].
Liam Baker. Credit: Michael Willson/AFL Photos
Wouldn’t Warner look good alongside Harley Reid in that West Coast midfield? It would be a duo to rival Batman and Robin, Marlin and Dory, SpongeBob and Patrick, Simon and Garfunkel, Shaggy and Scooby, Woody and Buzz Lightyear, Shrek and Donkey, Wayne Campbell and Garth Algar.

Just close your eyes Fremantle fans and imagine Bolton at half-forward? After all, Son Son is closer to the end of his career than the start.

I’m sure Cooper Simpson, the current owner of Fremantle’s 29 jumper, could be convinced to hand it over if the Dockers land their man.

Just like Pav, Bolton would fill it well.

Zak seems to be a footballer in search of a position, or perhaps just an old school utility that can play very well no matter where he is on the ground. He started this game in the floating/intercepting defensive role that we've seen him playing the last month or so at Talent League level, but with the Knights getting overrun in through the midfield he was enlisted to help onball in the third quarter. He responded with a big term, finding the footy and surging his team forward, getting involved in multiple scoring chains and even getting on the end of one himself.

One of The Snitch’s favourites back when screw-in-studs were a thing and fish and chips were still wrapped in newspaper was crafty Richmond forward Kevin Bartlett.

KB, or “Hungry” as he was known, was a weapon for his coaches, Tommy Hafey and Tony Jewell, a player they could run through the middle and throw forward knowing whatever happened goals would flow.

Bartlett wore number 29 on one of those old lace up jerseys.

Ahhhh, 29. It’s a number close to my heart.

Australia’s only FREE digital newspaper that drops at night delivering national and global stories you need to know.
READ NOW
Mrs Snitch and I once had a wonderful holiday following the 29th parallel north, which took us through such enchanting and often inhospitable countries like Algeria, Libya, India, China, Mexico and the US. We had a delightful mai tai on that trip at Latitude 29 bar on Bourbon Street in New Orleans.

I’ll admit I’m a bit of a maths geek – Eddie Woo’s Wonderful World of Maths is on my bedside table as we speak – and my favourite number is, you guessed it, 29.

Did you know? 29 is the sum of three consecutive squares, 22 + 32 + 42. It’s also the sixth Sophie Germain prime, a tetranacci number and an Eisenstein prime.

Anyway, back to Bartlett. He didn’t have much hair but boy could did he know where the goals were and operated with a kick to handball ratio of 29:1.

The Sydney Swans and The Snitch haven’t always been best buddies.

OPINION

AFLThe Snitch’s ‘Plugga’ moment as Dockers hunt Baker, Bolton

The Snitch
The Dockers appear to be playing the long game with Chad Warner.

OPINION

AFLThe Snitch: Freo fingerprints all over Warner’s Perth visit

The Snitch
So it won’t surprise anyone that the number 29 at Tigerland is still one of The Snitch’s favourites.

Shai Bolton can do it all.

He can electrify a midfield with a sidestep and a shimmy, take a hang on someone’s head and, like Bartlett, sure knows where the goals are.

Shai’s everywhere on the footy field and he’s been everywhere on a trip back to his home town of Perth this week, weaving his way through meetings with representatives of West Coast and Fremantle.

He even appeared at a press conference on Thursday morning, to help kick off Education Minister Tony Buti’s Running Challenge to promote health and fitness ahead of this year’s Perth Running Festival.

Good on him for promoting a good cause.

Education Minister Tony Buti launches his running challenge at Shelley Primary School. Pictured running with some children is Richmond player Shai Bolton.
Education Minister Tony Buti launches his running challenge at Shelley Primary School. Pictured running with some children is Richmond player Shai Bolton. Credit: Ian Munro/The West Australian
Dockers or Eagles fans should not be put off by the fact Bolton is in year one of a five-year deal with the Tigers.

What do contracts mean in these times of lateral trades? Anything is possible in this modern AFL world and Fremantle and West Coast have deep wish lists and even deeper pockets.

Another Tiger with a classy pedigree, Liam Baker has also been back in his native State for casual chats.

The Snitch even believes the words five years were mentioned in Baker’s presence.

Like The Snitch revealed a fortnight ago when Chad Warner was a guest at Crown, courtesy of the Dockers, you have to aim high these days.

So where does the S man see them fitting in, best-case scenario?

Liam Baker.
Liam Baker. Credit: Michael Willson/AFL Photos
Wouldn’t Warner look good alongside Harley Reid in that West Coast midfield? It would be a duo to rival Batman and Robin, Marlin and Dory, SpongeBob and Patrick, Simon and Garfunkel, Shaggy and Scooby, Woody and Buzz Lightyear, Shrek and Donkey, Wayne Campbell and Garth Algar.

Just close your eyes Fremantle fans and imagine Bolton at half-forward? After all, Son Son is closer to the end of his career than the start.

I’m sure Cooper Simpson, the current owner of Fremantle’s 29 jumper, could be convinced to hand it over if the Dockers land their man.

Just like Pav, Bolton would fill it well.
Jesus Christ, that Campaigner spent the first half of his article talking absolute nonsense! As for the trades, Shai Bolton would absolutely kill it at Freo but would probably be wasted with us. We need mids who win their own ball, not finishers up forward. Warner would be amazing.

Baker I don't want for the cost. Hopefully he's going to Freo.

I have a pretty close mutual friend with Steely Green from Richmond - he has a two year contract on the table from us.
He should take that deal if true. He's likely to be delisted.
DFA or PSD / 4th rounder?

Small defender.
He isn't and has never been a small defender. Was drafted as a midfielder but has spent most of his time forward in the reserves.

Can't see him making it.

Just finished watching WA u18 v SA.

Really like the look of Urquhart as a midfielder. Able to win clearances, has pace, competes well in the air, tough and has a big kick. One report on the game mentioned a comparison with Warner. Think he definitely outshone Bo Allen in this game although Allen was also good.

This year might be one for splitting the top pick. Uquhart may be a first rounder but not top five. Split for him and Travaglia?

A number of other WA players also showed a fair bit - Hayes, Curtin, Gerreyn, Rohr, Banfield, Davis, Kelly. Champion was pretty quiet although he had a few classy touches. There will definitely be more than two drafted from WA.
Just finished myself, I really really like Hayes. Hard running wingman with speed, good leap and great skills. Type I'd love for our wings.

Mentioned it previously but the underagers for WA look very promising, and Banfield and probably more so Evans have got me excited. Evans in particular looks like he could be very good, his agility and speed in traffic is really wow factor. Looks to be a mid sized forward with a great pressure game and has tricks to be a real danger forward. His backflip got me over the line.
Waterman has the versatility, can play forward, wing or in defence like he did in this game. Little quieter in this game, but had some nice glimpses and was impressive in the first game.
Champion, quiet but everything he did was very very good. Gets the ball moving and opens the game up with his decision making, and kicked a beautiful crumbing goal. Give him a while to develop his game, he'll be a beauty.

Kelly and Curtin look very very good for next year, Curtin tall defender who had a great game and Kelly is tough as nails but has great decision making and skills.

Angove is another forward who's got plenty in his game, runs all day and despite being only slightly built really cracks in to win the ball and break away from the contest. Quite like his game.

I'm not as big on Urquhart, good at winning it at the stoppage and has a massive kick but otherwise I'm not convinced about him. Bo Allen on the other hand has real aggression and speed at the stoppage and great skills, I'm quite big on him. If we didn't get Travaglia I'd love to look at Allen.

Plenty of others I liked from this game, Boxshall, Davis and Burke to name a few.

You do wonder how Freo could possibly afford Warner cap wise. I doubt they have a spare $1.5 mil lying around in their cap. Nor do they have a spate of highly paid players coming to the end of a current contract who are either going to be retired or taking a massive pay cut. You would think they will have to trade a highly paid player out to make room for Warner. And i very highly doubt that they could afford Warner plus Baker/Bolton. If they want Warner and think he will come next year they will likely have to stand aside on the Baker/Bolton fronts at the end of this year. They are probably regretting not retiring Fyfe on and not trading Darcy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jesus Christ, that Campaigner spent the first half of his article talking absolute nonsense! As for the trades, Shai Bolton would absolutely kill it at Freo but would probably be wasted with us. We need mids who win their own ball, not finishers up forward. Warner would be amazing.

Baker I don't want for the cost. Hopefully he's going to Freo.

Summed up my feelings when I read the whole article.

And, written by a journalist. Really?

Thanks (I think) Bally for posting.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

You do wonder how Freo could possibly afford Warner cap wise. I doubt they have a spare $1.5 mil lying around in their cap. Nor do they have a spate of highly paid players coming to the end of a current contract who are either going to be retired or taking a massive pay cut. You would think they will have to trade a highly paid player out to make room for Warner. And i very highly doubt that they could afford Warner plus Baker/Bolton. If they want Warner and think he will come next year they will likely have to stand aside on the Baker/Bolton fronts at the end of this year. They are probably regretting not retiring Fyfe on and not trading Darcy.

The cap increasing by 30% over the last couple of years helps.

Fyfe is done.

Sonny Walters done.

They let Banfield go.

They could get to $1.5m p.a. But I feel we could front end our contract much more given how young our list profile is becoming.

$200k pa times 7 or 9 years irrelevant? Thats $1.4 to $1.8 million.

Or did you read that as $200k more in total over the entire contract?

Would you be ok with Freo outbidding us by $200k per year?
yep, im ok with missing him if he prefers Freo.
Crowds.....meh....pretty similar so not a factor.

Club stability including list management / stability and being looked after post football?

Now that point I can see the Eagles beating Freo without a thought. The number of players who leave tells a story doesnt it?
What happens if Freo do win a premiership? For sure theyre a very long way off catching up but its still only a 2 team town, not like there will be nothing post footy, and players arent going to leave while theyre in finals
Quality of forward line? Again Eagles can argue they are equal to if not ahead.
We are ahead, but give them another year into Amiss and Treacy and we might not be ahead.
Defense? After Gov TB at 29 is the next oldest. Pearce 29 and then? Id suggest if we can land Busslinger this trade period our tall defenders run deeper than Freo. Ryan at 186cm isnt a key defender.
For KPDs we are a touch ahead probably right now, but not for a premiership tilt. Freos are ready to go once Cox is back in the team in a couple of weeks. We have Gov who is close to retirement with no obvious replacement. Their smalls/mediums are well ahead of ours. We havent landed Buss yet so cant count him. He'd be a little bit away anyway
So then its our midfield versus Freo's at the end of 2025. And Warner is a gun mid.

Eagles just flogged Freo this season with a rebuilding team.
They just came off 2 close losses in adelaide that they arguably should have won before that. Teams have down days, we literally just lost to North lol
Feel you are over selling Freo here.
Theyre ahead right now, with Warner added to that midfield mix their list is good enough to win multiple finals and potentially win a premiership. Thatll be pretty attractive.
Add Warner to our list and we are still at least a couple of years away

Anyway not going to respond to this topic anymore, nothing you can say is going to convince me otherwise. Hes got mates there, theyre closer to finals, and they can offer him a substantial amount of money

Signing Yeo for three years is not without significant risk but we’re in a position where his contract can be front loaded and his influence on the young mids (Reid and Hewett in particular) shouldn’t be understated

It’s a good re-signing and well played to his manager for getting him that extra year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back