List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 54 25.2%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 34 15.9%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 50 23.4%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 9 4.2%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 4 1.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
What makes you so confident?

Sheed is cooked as a midfielder and has no redeemable qualities in another position. Claps his hands for cheap kicks and doesn't work both ways.

Brockmans off-field issues leave a lot to be desired. Seems to have been a reason Hawthorn were happy to move him off their list. Bought into the team as a defensive small forward and yet hasn't kicked a goal in his 9 matches with us.

Cripps for me is having very little impact this year. Tackle Average and Goal Average has dropped and will continue to do so. Will be 33 start of next season.

Reason we have the list we have is because someone isn't/wasn't willing to make the tough calls. Time for that to change is now.
I don’t think Hawthorn were happy to move Brockman. They were reluctant to let him go and then tried to get him involved in a Reid offer.

Last edited:
Definitely would not want to trade Ryan. He is just beginning to show his true value as a burst midfielder.
Pace, evasive skill and sublime kicking skills.

I doubt very strongly that he would go to Qld. His ‘country’ is around Geraldton. Even Perth is a stretch.
There's rumours he wants to go. He's probably my favourite player to watch behind Reid so i would be happy if he stayed.

I don’t hate Jones the person and actually it’s his habit of butchering the ball that I hate.

If he had even average footskills I would be a fan because he is quick and that’s another facet that our list is desperately short on.

But I can’t see it any other way : poor kicking is poor football.

He isn’t AFL standard IMO because his kicking is so bad.

Time to move him on and get some good ball users onto our list.

This is a very reasonable view of things.

He looked good running off hbf and gave a bit of hope but when the ball just goes back over his head it's pretty pointless.

The reactionary in me just hated how he stood the mark on the weekend. Even players with awful foot skills can still look like they care.

The irrational part of my brain (around 95% of it) is starting to feel a bit ill about the trade back to get Hewett if his foot injuries continue. Sheezel looks absolutely elite at this stage and we could have convinced him to stay.
Shades of my melt earlier this year:

Sheezel will win a Brownlow before:
  • Hewett plays 50 games
  • Ginbey has a 30 disposal game

The irrational part of my brain (around 95% of it) is starting to feel a bit ill about the trade back to get Hewett if his foot injuries continue. Sheezel looks absolutely elite at this stage and we could have convinced him to stay.
The thing is this;

People are shitting their pants about Reid leaving, despite him saying he had no issues moving west, wanted to wear #9, has mates at the clubs, etc.

Many of the same people complain about Ginbey and say we shouldn't have split and taken Sheezel instead(who probably wouldn't have been available anyway) despite it being well-known he was pulling a Bailey Smith, as was Wardlaw.

Ryan has lost a lot of athleticism, he has looked okay pinch hitting through the midfield but if a team wants to offer a decent pick for him, we should be taking it. Don’t see him ever regaining his AA form again.

The reality is we have to trade at least 1-2 players with actual currency, we can’t go through a rebuild with one first round pick every year.
The first thing I would do as coach to shake things up a bit would be to play flying deep out of the goal square and tell him, remember your 70 goal wafl year, do that. Don't leave the arc. Make the defence panic a bit.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

The first thing I would do as coach to shake things up a bit would be to play flying deep out of the goal square and tell him, remember your 70 goal wafl year, do that. Don't leave the arc. Make the defence panic a bit.

The problem with that is that he provides a bit of speed and a bit of classy disposal coming out of the midfield, which is in very short supply.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Using the predictions on afl.com, Freo will have
Port finishing 10 = meaning pick 9
Freo and Pies in elimination final so one finishes 8 = pick 11
The other could be anywhere from 13 to 18

If that eventuates, Freo’s picks 9 and 11 would hold high value. The 3rd pick - let’s see

I’ve been discussing with a number of posters of our F1 and 22 for these 3 picks. There is an appetite . I’d also do F1 for 9 and 10 plus one of Reidy or Knobel if the 3rd pick is closer to 18

Go to the draft with 2, 9 and 10

Tell Freo we will back off on the deal for Baker this year. Freo have the ammunition to go hard next year for Chad.
Why would we want freo to get warner ?

We will be in the box seat with Dean Cox at the helm

I'd love Chad (Not Baker due age, major asset (pace) degradation guarantee etc.) but there is a golden lining to Freo getting him.
The more $million, long term guys they have on the list the better. Salary cap squeeze like a teenagers zits.

We have no AFL quality KPDs under Gov and Barrass. Full to the hilt of KPF options but would be interested to know who you see playing KPD with Barrass in 2 years and then again once he retires.

Your second point I 100% agree with. Lack of outside run both out of defence and the midfield is absolutely killing us.

I’d be targeting both of the above this draft.

You don’t need spectacular full backs to be competitive. We have full backs that can do the job - leave this priority for later. Barrass can still go for 3-4 years.

But we need midfielders with running ability. Pressure half forwards.

You don’t need spectacular full backs to be competitive. We have full backs that can do the job - leave this priority for later. Barrass can still go for 3-4 years.

But we need midfielders with running ability. Pressure half forwards.
I’m not suggesting spectacular but if you want a competitive side in a list rebuild you need to get your talls early to give them the extra couple of years to develop. Clarko got it spot on taking Rough and Buddy.

I just don’t think he can anymore, aerially he has declined massively and he’s a lot slower now, couldn’t even outrun a ruckman a few weeks ago

I’m not suggesting spectacular but if you want a competitive side in a list rebuild you need to get your talls early to give them the extra couple of years to develop. Clarko got it spot on taking Rough and Buddy.

Traded in Gibson (2009) and Lake (2012) though

Traded in Gibson (2009) and Lake (2012) though
He did, and I was going to add that it’s a much bigger gamble for us that a KPD is going to a) be available and b) want to move to WA to fill the spot. Would rather build that position as we have in the past and if a better option does happen to become available we look at it then.

The thing is this;

People are shitting their pants about Reid leaving, despite him saying he had no issues moving west, wanted to wear #9, has mates at the clubs, etc.

Many of the same people complain about Ginbey and say we shouldn't have split and taken Sheezel instead(who probably wouldn't have been available anyway) despite it being well-known he was pulling a Bailey Smith, as was Wardlaw.
What would Sheezel be worth in a trade now though if he wanted to leave? Heaps.
Plus put him and Reid together and I reckon they'd stay.
I wanted Wardlaw at the time and was spewing that we split. I really hope Hewett can come back strong.

Disagree re the Wardlaw doing a Bailey Smith. There was one throw away line about prefering to stay home (which half the draftees would say if they are being honest) in an interview where he also said that he was loyal and would play anywhere. Everyone then jumped on it and it became an echo chamber fact. Was an over reaction imo

While I would love Chad in our wings, I do not think we have got enough talent on our list to push for our next flag. Chad is something to add when you are close. He will likely cost 2 x R1 which we cannot afford yet.

Managers work with clubs some 19 to 20 months out as to whether the club is interested, what they will pay and whether they will have the currency to pay the asking price. We have the want, we have the salary but I could not agree to giving up this and next year's R1 to get Chad. In 2026, we might be able to be in that position.

Why would Chad who is loved at Sydney, likely to be playing deep into September with real flag aspirations and will be in for a massive pay increase in 2026 want to join us in 2025?

Maybe the definition of a good rebuild.
However I think they were probably the best 2 players at their picks anyway.

They already had Hodge and Mitchell, Sewell, Bateman & Crawford running around compared to the KPF in (undersized) Williams & moving on Nathan Thompson.

Maybe Carlton 2015 nailing their spine with Weitering, McKay & Curnow. Then only going for DeKoning in 2017 since then with an early pick.
(Have burned about 10x 1st and 2nd round picks on mids in that time though)

The problem with reaching for talls is that they can only really occupy a certain amount of spots on field.
A failed onballer can play a wing, pocket or flank.
A KPF not up to the grade can go to full back or be de-listed.

Pyke said we would be aggressive this off season. With our current draft hand that's not really possible. Losing TB, Waterman or Allen in a trade would hurt us too much structurally imo but duggan seems the best guy we can capitalise on. Twomey thought he'd bring a first round last year dont think he's done to much to hinder that this year.

HUN update on Bolton and Baker https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/c547627bc0769d15c533a12c83aba8be

Shai Bolton has emphatically shut down rival interest, with his management making clear to Richmond list boss Blair Hartley he is going nowhere.

Fremantle did reach out to Bolton, as the Dockers also tried to poach Liam Baker, to declare they would offer an exceptional draft package for the pair.

Bolton has four more seasons on a deal that can see him earn as much as $1.3 million a year, and bounced back to form against the Dockers after several quiet weeks.

When the news of the Dockers’ interest broke, rival clubs also made clear they would join the race if he had any interest in jumping ship.

But 25-year-old Bolton signed on at the end of 2022 until 2028 aware that the club’s golden era might not last forever.

He will eventually end up back in Perth late in his career or post-career, but will back in coach Adem Yze.

Meanwhile Fox AFL are saying similar about Bolton and that Baker has refused Freo and wants West Coast

Despite rival interest from his home state, it doesn’t appear livewire Shai Bolton is going anywhere. Meantime, club vice-captain Liam Baker would apparently prefer West Coast to Fremantle if a departure were indeed on the cards.

“I think Fremantle at one stage said: ‘Baker and Bolton, let’s make you an offer that you can’t refuse’. Now, Baker has refused — he’d like to get to West Coast if he could — and so too has Bolton — directly from his manager,” Ralph revealed.

“He has told the Richmond list boss to lock it in, he’s going to stay.”

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Back