List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 52 22.5%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 45 19.5%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 16 6.9%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 23 10.0%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 51 22.1%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • Other

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 4 1.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

With the age profile cooked as it is West Coast should be looking to see if there are any talented International players.

"IRISH ROOKIE PRE-SELECTION

Irish players can be signed directly to a club’s Rookie List under the International Player Rule and do not have to go through the draft. Previously, Irish players could not be listed as Category B rookies but took a spot on the main Rookie List.

Clubs can now list one Irish player as a Category B rookie but for each additional Irish player rookie listed, that player will be deemed to be a Category A rookie and the club will forfeit its last selection in the Rookie Draft for each additional player listed."

We'd be absolutely nuts to trade Waterman IMO. He's only a year older than Allen and one of the best forwards in the comp currently.

TB probably more expendable given his age and potential compo, but I'm going to guess it doesn't happen.

I don’t think we’d be nuts to sell high on a bloke who has a singular good season, I just don’t trust that he’ll sustain it and I’m not keen on handing him a 5-6 year extension like he wants based on 10-12 games.

We can not stand pat and not do anything yet again.

I wouldn’t have Allen as untradeable purely because we’d have Waterman, Maric, A.Reid and J.Williams and Oscar hasn’t shown us his body can be trusted, has missed way too many games to be considered untouchable.
Imo Start trading out 25-26 yo AA squad members (OA 2023 and probably Waterman 2024) you are running the real risk of being even worse and not keeping some of these young Vics we are bringing over. Need a reset but need light at the end of the tunnel.

The smaller boys can make rapid growth steps over another pre-season with a proper game plan and accountability. Hewett and Ginbey hopefully get that 3rd year boost. HR goes another level or 2. Chesser does a Pou (yes it’s only one game but the belief is a big thing) FOS/Smillie fit straight and all the other boys 20-24 yo progressing.

Replacing Key forwards is not so easy.

With the age profile cooked as it is West Coast should be looking to see if there are any talented International players.

"IRISH ROOKIE PRE-SELECTION

Irish players can be signed directly to a club’s Rookie List under the International Player Rule and do not have to go through the draft. Previously, Irish players could not be listed as Category B rookies but took a spot on the main Rookie List.

Clubs can now list one Irish player as a Category B rookie but for each additional Irish player rookie listed, that player will be deemed to be a Category A rookie and the club will forfeit its last selection in the Rookie Draft for each additional player listed."
We have never taken advantage of this or picked the right ones.

Imo Start trading out 25-26 yo AA squad members (OA 2023 and probably Waterman 2024) you are running the real risk of being even worse and not keeping some of these young Vics we are bringing over. Need a reset but need light at the end of the tunnel.

The smaller boys can make rapid growth steps over another pre-season with a proper game plan and accountability. Hewett and Ginbey hopefully get that 3rd year boost. HR goes another level or 2. Chesser does a Pou (yes it’s only one game but the belief is a big thing) FOS/Smillie fit straight and all the other boys 20-24 yo progressing.

Replacing Key forwards is not so easy.

I’d only be willing to trade one of them, wouldn’t care which.

I just don’t think we can rebuild within 5-6 years if we’re not trading anyone out, not being creative at all and just taking one first rounder into each draft.

We absolutely suck at drafting in later rounds.

I don’t think we’d be nuts to sell high on a bloke who has a singular good season, I just don’t trust that he’ll sustain it and I’m not keen on handing him a 5-6 year extension like he wants based on 10-12 games.

We can’t but also pick the right options.

All our list management team has said is we need to bring in some 24-28yo. Some want to trade out some 2 of the best in the comp. Yes if it’s ridiculous overs but a Rivers has to be included.

We won’t be trading Allen it just won’t happen it’s not in West Coasts dna to be that aggressive.

It would have to be a huge offer, whilst he’s not the best fwd in the competition he’s definitely of high quality and rarely would clubs unless forced give up a 25yr old high quality KPF.

With Coby burgiel not looking like he will get a contract and also he doesn’t look happy it seems he might want to move back to Victoria. I think he is a good player but he might leave. What could we get for him a 3rd rounder. And also what would we get for compensation if rotham left another 3rd rounder. This wouldn’t be bad 2 3rd rounders.

Rotham maybe…. AFL might not like the look of actual assistance for a team that won a premiership in the past decade, but below the veil of secret herbs and spices maybe some over the top compo could apply.

Burgiel I would assume is worth nothing… DFA for someone or a swap for a token 4th or player in a similar position (DGB etc).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm a little more optimistic that Waterman can sustain a high level of output for a while yet, even if it's not AA standard every year. But realistically he is just as proven as Allen, and I think both will make a very strong one-two punch. I also think there is something to be said for us A) needing players in the 24-28 range to help the rebuild and B) balancing an aggressive list strategy with a culture of loyalty to key players. If Waterman is very keen to get out that's a different question.

If TB is genuinely open to moving on and we can find some decent compensation, that has more merit IMO, even if it leaves us desperately needing a KPD soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Waterman might have trade value, but his value to the team is of far greater value.
Said himself that his illness made him reflect on what he wanted to get out of himself and football.
And look at what's transpired.
Perfect age & example to impress upon a transitioning/rebuilding list what work ethic/professionalism can do.
Untradable.

Makeshift backline circa 2015? Got plenty of players who could be anything down there.

Jamo, Reid, Maric, Culley to name but a few.

Gov, Hedwards and Bazzo would probably be my choice with Jamieson first reserve. I could see it getting slaughtered every now and then for sure, but that's the price we pay for exposing the youth.

Perhaps Maric could complement them given he's a little more rebound oriented, but I'm not sure his future lies as an accountable defender. That would at least give us the required depth. As for Culley, not sure he has the speed or height to play KPD, I feel like having neither is a bit of a death sentence for a key back.

I'd be then a little more concerned about what it looks like in 2025 with Gov potentially not here, and none of those 'future' types are necessarily locks for long term careers (other than Maric who I don't think becomes a KPD).

Whatever way you slice it IMO we need to add a good KPD prospect to our list. Not necessarily with our first pick, but I'm uneasy about how this backline looks in four years.

Players/pick Trade value
Barrass 1st rounder and 2nd rounder
Burgiel bag of chips 3rd or 4th rounder
Rotham 3rd rounder compo
B Williams late 2nd rounder
Pick 3 2 top 10/15 picks eg 8/7 gc
Petch 3rd rounder
Darling 4/5 th rounder
Don sheed late/ mid 3rd rounder
Any other player value who we have seen in rumours in this thread beside Allen and waterman who must stay.

It's hard to believe that Humphries wasn't even a mainstay in the league team. Bloke has showed more confidence and promise in a handful of games then Chesser has in his entire career.

Maybe a new coach can utilise Chess better, but fu*ken hell, life would have been so much easier if our recruiting team actually gave a shit.

Last edited:

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Back