List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 51 21.4%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 54 22.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 16 6.7%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 23 9.7%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 50 21.0%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 10 4.2%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 5 2.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
I was of the same opinion having watched a bit of Humphries in the PSA, WAFL and state 16's. His disposal by either hand or foot was always elite at any level I saw him play in, and the modern game is built upon retaining possession. I think he had 96% disposal efficiency against Collingwood on Friday night. I was staggered that West Coast didn't show any interest in him. I just think that Rohan O'Brien and his merry men have no imagination, because they never seem to unearth any gems with their late picks, unlike guru Stephen Wells at Geelong. Thank heavens O'Brien has finally left the building

Can we just buy the Geelong WA scouts?

They seem to know WA talent better than ours. Just stating the obvious.

Robert Downey Jr Shrug GIF by MOODMAN

Quick poll - (I'm doing a draft on another board)

If we could add to our current team - Petracca, Neale or prime Luke Hodge. Who would you pick?
I've add prime Max Gawn with my first choice.

I'm really torn on this one.

As I have posted here a few times before, Davis is a VERY good player, who gets little love from here or the D&T Board.

Under ratted and under appreciated by most draft assessors.

He has a massive tank and has all the skills to be a goal kicking wingman ..... the sort of player that, just quietly 🤫, we are very much in need of.

Everytime I watch (or listen) to a Melbourne game I’m impressed by Windsor and I’d love to pick up someone like him this draft

How would Davis compare to him?

Id rather have Allen leading a young forward line than Waterman.
Allen would get more in a trade, but thats because hes a better player lol, and hes a year younger.

We dont need a top 5 pick necessarily, we just need good picks, the pick we receive will depend on the club thats doing the trading, cant see either of Allen or Waterman getting us a top 5 pick this year tbh. The clubs with top 5 picks wont be in the market
WCE OUT: Waterman, BWilliams
WCE IN: Pick 8, 13, Knobel

FREO OUT: Pick 8, Knobel
FREO IN: Rivers

MELB OUT: Pick 13, Rivers
MELB IN: Waterman, BWilliams

Last edited:
Everytime I watch (or listen) to a Melbourne game I’m impressed by Windsor and I’d love to pick up someone like him this draft

I reckon a fair call would be to think of Andrew Embley when thinking of who does Davis project as.

If he gets anywhere near those lofty heights then good luck to the kid.
Once again I cringe a little when doing these comparisons but that’s who I think of.

I swear this thread is the most unhinged place on the board.

Thank Christ most of you won't ever get near a list management job in any capacity let alone an AFL team.
HeyZues. And I haven't even posted in here for a couple of days.

Last edited:
Quick poll - (I'm doing a draft on another board)

If we could add to our current team - Petracca, Neale or prime Luke Hodge. Who would you pick?
I've add prime Max Gawn with my first choice.

I'm really torn on this one.
**** the lot of ya! 🖕🏻

I took Hodge 😘

I reckon a fair call would be to think of Andrew Embley when thinking of who does Davis project as.

If he gets anywhere near those lofty heights then good luck to the kid.
Once again I cringe a little when doing these comparisons but that’s who I think of.

Keys he is a better overhead mark and will kick more goals, than Windsor, but Windsor I thinks a bit quicker.

CountryLad's call comparing him to Embley is pretty close to the mark, has better skills, but time will tell if he goes any where near close to Embley's ability, to cease the moment and absorb the pressure in clutch moments, as Embley often did.

That said Davis was pretty darn good in last years Colts GF, as a bottom ager absorbing the pressure when things got tight.
He kicked 3 goals and looked right at home in clutch moments.

His Championships, this year, was very consistent and he doesn't waste possessions, as his disposal efficiency is high.

One of the indicators that I look for and rate particularly highly, when assessing prospective kids for "draft ability", is when kids come back to playing Colts after having had a good Championships and their productivity increases, at Colts.
It's a general indicator that they still have a lot of growth in their game.
Davis has done this. :thumbsu:

I will take that a step further, because if they get put up to Reserves or League and play OK, ( they don't have to star ) , just hold their own.
Then, that is IMO another huge milestone.

It's very rare for a kid to go back to their State league, perform well enough to warrant promotion to the next level, perform ok, at higher State level and for them to be a bust at AFL level.

Doesn't mean that they are stars, more so, that they have both the ability and temperament, to make it at in the AFL.

Last edited:
Keys he is a better overhead mark and will kick more goals, than Windsor, but Windsor I thinks a bit quicker.

CountryLad's call comparing him to Embley is pretty close to the mark, has better skills, but time will tell if he goes any where near close to Embley's ability, to cease the moment and absorb the pressure in clutch moments, as Embley often did.

That said Davis was pretty darn good in last years Colts GF, as a bottom ager absorbing the pressure when things got tight.

His Championships, this year, was very consistent and he doesn't waste possessions, as his disposal efficiency is high.

One of the indicators that I look for and rate particularly highly, when assessing prospective kids for "draft ability", is when kids come back to playing Colts after having had a good Championships and their productivity increases, at Colts.

I will take that a step further, because if they get put up to Reserves or League and play OK, ( they don't have to star ) , just hold their own.

It's very rare for a kid to go back to their State league, perform well enough to warrant promotion to the next level, perform ok, at higher State level and for them to be a bust at AFL level.

Doesn't mean that they are stars, more so, that they have both the ability and temperament, to make it at in the AFL.
Thanks for the write up uncle Mon.

I'm sold. 👌🏻

Petty has absolutely tanked his value this year. Was the worst rated player in the afl according to champion data at one stage. Can’t see Crows coming for him this year given he’s a FA next year and would cost nothing draft wise.

On a seperate note, your man Kaleb Smith has put together a pretty solid VFL season and still can’t break into a rebuilding tigers side (ring any bells?). If we finally come to our senses and rid ourselves of Witho and Rotham he could probably be in our starting 22 with a good preseason.

View attachment 2046638
The fact they still aren’t playing him may suggest that he won’t be there next year, especially with the amount of draft picks they have amassed. Would be a great result through the PSD or DFA if it pans out that way. Good spot early.
Yea they're preferring Steely Green over him which I think says a lot. Green was taken later by them in the same draft

As I have posted here a few times before, Davis is a VERY good player, who gets little love from here or the D&T Board.

Under ratted and under appreciated by most draft assessors.

He has a massive tank and has all the skills to be a goal kicking wingman ..... the sort of player that, just quietly 🤫, we are very much in need of.
I have been steadfast he is a late must for us, since start of the year
Similar to Martin at Essendon runs all day good by foot and overhead is good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is his draft range?

Happy to have Hall, but our third rounder traded out this year is looking a bit problematic given the depth of talent being talked about in this years draft.

What is his draft range?

Happy to have Hall, but our third rounder traded out this year is looking a bit problematic given the depth of talent being talked about in this years draft.
Probably a touch after where our 3R would sit (currently 41). Freijah and Davis would have been a good combo on the wings.

For our team I agree. If the Crows trade there pick for petty and a later pick and we get FOS and Sid. That could get me on the Waterman trade wagon

Waterman out for Draper and we also take FOS is the big trade and draft period we need.

Take Curtin II next season and wait for his older bro to come home.

We simply have too many tall forwards. Unless we are happy to watch land of the giants up forward and the ball coming out of our forward line with ease something needs to give. Some of these young tall forwards will leave for opportunities elsewhere and for success unless we balance the list.

Some saying these thoughts are crazy. But its crazy to retain 10 tall forwards even if some can pinch hit in the ruck. Our list is unbalanced and we dessperately need quality in the midfield. And we have been selecting an unbalanced team that is too tall up forward.

Its crazy if you cant see that.

Last edited:
QT VicC vs VicM

Lindsay’s kicking and involvement have been outstanding, already 257m gained.

Travaglia has been excellent shutting down attacks and distributing/starting score chains.

Langford has been very good early with 3 clearances.

Kako is clearly the best small forward in the draft. Has Berry covered and miles ahead of Champion.

Murphy Reid has a lot of Pendlebury traits, finds space, calm, chooses excellent options. Will be considered in the top 3 IMO.

Just on Davis, he is rated a little higher by some than people think. A lot will come down to his combine testing. If he shows decent speed and agility (not spectacular) because he is nowhere near as quick as Windsor (I also agree similarly to the Embley comparison) depending on club he could be an early second round pick. Tall hard running wingmen who are good overhead and have good skills are very much in demand. If he shows higher than expected speed, agility and leap then he is a smokey to be significantly earlier.

Just on the top end again I really don't think people are giving Sid Draper enough love. He is only just getting back to being close to fully fit. The player he reminds me of most is actually a young Jack Viney. Now in a draft that is very even, even at the top end I would have no issue with the club using a top 3 pick on him. He is tough, runs hard both ways, is great at getting the ball on the inside and is quite elusive. His ball handling is very, very good and he is a very good kick. His only potential weaknesses are his size (but if he's surrounded by bigger mids i see no issue) and his kicking whilst it is very good it doesn't have great depth. He is more your kick 50 metres on the run as opposed to say O'Sullivan who can kick 55+ off a step.

O'Sullivan is the higher level talent but Draper has a much higher floor. I would like people to think about the 2022 draft here and someone like Jhye Clark. Draper is a significantly better junior than Clark, is definitely faster and is more agile. The WCE if they didn't split picks were willing to spend pick 2 on Clark. Knowing Duane well I think Draper will very much be a favourite of his. He also shows great leadership and performs well even in shit teams.

I guess we'll see in the coming weeks whether a change of coach makes a difference and in a lot of ways it always does as a lot of players are playing for their career. The club only needs to win 1 more game to finish 16th. Richmond seem most likely for the spoon, have injuries and look to have put the cue in the rack, North have a terrible % so would have to win an extra game than us.

I however don't want people to get pissy if the club does draft Draper and don't see him running around in the midfield early next year. At his size and weight he will need a couple of preseasons before he is ready or we will wreck his body.

Now I have been told that the WCE have asked about priority assistance (not submitted an application or anything publicly) and were told 100% no if Simpson is the coach. So while the club won't publicly act like beggars like North and put it out in the media there is already talk there.

Whomever is to be coach will likely want to bring certain assistants and a large part of the reason the club has gone early on Simpson as opposed to end of year like the past is you have to go early enough to be able to secure not only the senior coach of choice but also to get assistant coaches. I expect at least 50% of the coaching and development staff to be turned over. Preliminary discussions have already been held with a few candidates.

I worry for the club as I don't rate our list manager at all. There is nothing personal about it but it could be an issue, he wasn't my first choice and wasn't Pyke's first choice either. Gavin Bell whilst highly rated internally and by pretty much everyone who has dealt with him, in particular players and ex staff is a very likely casualty as football manager.

Just on Davis, he is rated a little higher by some than people think. A lot will come down to his combine testing. If he shows decent speed and agility (not spectacular) because he is nowhere near as quick as Windsor (I also agree similarly to the Embley comparison) depending on club he could be an early second round pick. Tall hard running wingmen who are good overhead and have good skills are very much in demand. If he shows higher than expected speed, agility and leap then he is a smokey to be significantly earlier.

Just on the top end again I really don't think people are giving Sid Draper enough love. He is only just getting back to being close to fully fit. The player he reminds me of most is actually a young Jack Viney. Now in a draft that is very even, even at the top end I would have no issue with the club using a top 3 pick on him. He is tough, runs hard both ways, is great at getting the ball on the inside and is quite elusive. His ball handling is very, very good and he is a very good kick. His only potential weaknesses are his size (but if he's surrounded by bigger mids i see no issue) and his kicking whilst it is very good it doesn't have great depth. He is more your kick 50 metres on the run as opposed to say O'Sullivan who can kick 55+ off a step.

O'Sullivan is the higher level talent but Draper has a much higher floor. I would like people to think about the 2022 draft here and someone like Jhye Clark. Draper is a significantly better junior than Clark, is definitely faster and is more agile. The WCE if they didn't split picks were willing to spend pick 2 on Clark. Knowing Duane well I think Draper will very much be a favourite of his. He also shows great leadership and performs well even in shit teams.

I guess we'll see in the coming weeks whether a change of coach makes a difference and in a lot of ways it always does as a lot of players are playing for their career. The club only needs to win 1 more game to finish 16th. Richmond seem most likely for the spoon, have injuries and look to have put the cue in the rack, North have a terrible % so would have to win an extra game than us.

I however don't want people to get pissy if the club does draft Draper and don't see him running around in the midfield early next year. At his size and weight he will need a couple of preseasons before he is ready or we will wreck his body.

Now I have been told that the WCE have asked about priority assistance (not submitted an application or anything publicly) and were told 100% no if Simpson is the coach. So while the club won't publicly act like beggars like North and put it out in the media there is already talk there.

Whomever is to be coach will likely want to bring certain assistants and a large part of the reason the club has gone early on Simpson as opposed to end of year like the past is you have to go early enough to be able to secure not only the senior coach of choice but also to get assistant coaches. I expect at least 50% of the coaching and development staff to be turned over. Preliminary discussions have already been held with a few candidates.

I worry for the club as I don't rate our list manager at all. There is nothing personal about it but it could be an issue, he wasn't my first choice and wasn't Pyke's first choice either. Gavin Bell whilst highly rated internally and by pretty much everyone who has dealt with him, in particular players and ex staff is a very likely casualty as football manager.

Whoo there.

The AFL said no to any priority assistance if Simpson remained as coach?

Id like AFL House to explain that stance. So now they are dictating who stays as coach at a club they dont own?

That doesnt sound professional in any way. It sounds down right dirty politics or something.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Back