List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 56 21.4%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 63 24.0%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 20 7.6%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 24 9.2%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 50 19.1%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 7.6%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 8 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 6 2.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Freo with a great age profile and entering a really promising window, missing some genuine difference makers in the forwardline.

Do they push their chips in with the three first round picks to entice Bolton to come over? Do they take their picks and try to add as many good kids as they can, to prolong the window for what soon looks like an eternity? A mix of trading and drafting?

I think them losing all three picks for a future first, even if it could arguably be a top 2 pick, is the least likely of all outcomes. If they don't want to hit this draft, they'd rather get Bolton out of it and have a go now, rather than a future Pick 1/2 (imo).

Freo with a great age profile and entering a really promising window, missing some genuine difference makers in the forwardline.

Do they push their chips in with the three first round picks to entice Bolton to come over? Do they take their picks and try to add as many good kids as they can, to prolong the window for what soon looks like an eternity? A mix of trading and drafting?

I think them losing all three picks for a future first, even if it could arguably be a top 2 pick, is the least likely of all outcomes. If they don't want to hit this draft, they'd rather get Bolton out of it and have a go now, rather than a future Pick 1/2 (imo).
The F1 is their (likely) ticket to The Chad, agree with you Infont think they would trade into next year intending to use it in the draft. Bolton’s manager has been pretty unequivocal that he’s staying a Tiger.

If they aren’t reading them to us, hopefully Freo use at least one of them on Baker.

So do tigers have a KPF for the future? Are they planning to get one or are they going to follow the flogmantle method and have tabner play that role

So do tigers have a KPF for the future? Are they planning to get one or are they going to follow the flogmantle method and have tabner play that role
They dont have one.

I think some of their fans think Balta can be it, he might be, but hes a defender really, or that Lefau guy who was a mature age recruit from the VFL who was ok this year.
Theyve got Koschitzke who is another battler who has been around for a while now, still hasnt shown anything.

Theyve got a couple of other KPFs, one with a later pick last year and one with a late pick from the MSD this year.

Not a whole lot tbh, nothing elite, but a lot better than Taberner. Better than what the Dees had for their premiership at least

Just on Davis, he is rated a little higher by some than people think. A lot will come down to his combine testing. If he shows decent speed and agility (not spectacular) because he is nowhere near as quick as Windsor (I also agree similarly to the Embley comparison) depending on club he could be an early second round pick. Tall hard running wingmen who are good overhead and have good skills are very much in demand. If he shows higher than expected speed, agility and leap then he is a smokey to be significantly earlier.

Just on the top end again I really don't think people are giving Sid Draper enough love. He is only just getting back to being close to fully fit. The player he reminds me of most is actually a young Jack Viney. Now in a draft that is very even, even at the top end I would have no issue with the club using a top 3 pick on him. He is tough, runs hard both ways, is great at getting the ball on the inside and is quite elusive. His ball handling is very, very good and he is a very good kick. His only potential weaknesses are his size (but if he's surrounded by bigger mids i see no issue) and his kicking whilst it is very good it doesn't have great depth. He is more your kick 50 metres on the run as opposed to say O'Sullivan who can kick 55+ off a step.

O'Sullivan is the higher level talent but Draper has a much higher floor. I would like people to think about the 2022 draft here and someone like Jhye Clark. Draper is a significantly better junior than Clark, is definitely faster and is more agile. The WCE if they didn't split picks were willing to spend pick 2 on Clark. Knowing Duane well I think Draper will very much be a favourite of his. He also shows great leadership and performs well even in shit teams.

I guess we'll see in the coming weeks whether a change of coach makes a difference and in a lot of ways it always does as a lot of players are playing for their career. The club only needs to win 1 more game to finish 16th. Richmond seem most likely for the spoon, have injuries and look to have put the cue in the rack, North have a terrible % so would have to win an extra game than us.

I however don't want people to get pissy if the club does draft Draper and don't see him running around in the midfield early next year. At his size and weight he will need a couple of preseasons before he is ready or we will wreck his body.

Now I have been told that the WCE have asked about priority assistance (not submitted an application or anything publicly) and were told 100% no if Simpson is the coach. So while the club won't publicly act like beggars like North and put it out in the media there is already talk there.

Whomever is to be coach will likely want to bring certain assistants and a large part of the reason the club has gone early on Simpson as opposed to end of year like the past is you have to go early enough to be able to secure not only the senior coach of choice but also to get assistant coaches. I expect at least 50% of the coaching and development staff to be turned over. Preliminary discussions have already been held with a few candidates.

I worry for the club as I don't rate our list manager at all. There is nothing personal about it but it could be an issue, he wasn't my first choice and wasn't Pyke's first choice either. Gavin Bell whilst highly rated internally and by pretty much everyone who has dealt with him, in particular players and ex staff is a very likely casualty as football manager.
I really like draper too - although have only seen highlights unlike yourself who I imagine has watched a lot. Would be very pleased if we took him at 3.
I'm also worried about Clarke as list mgr. He's led Richmond to the doldrums. Acknowledge they were outstanding prior to that, but were the premiership years his doing?
Very interesting insight re PP. If we don't win another game this year that's 8 wins in 3 yrs, if we win 1 more that's 9 in 3 years. Surely that warrants PP - as it did for NM after 3 years of the same.

Just on Davis, he is rated a little higher by some than people think. A lot will come down to his combine testing. If he shows decent speed and agility (not spectacular) because he is nowhere near as quick as Windsor (I also agree similarly to the Embley comparison) depending on club he could be an early second round pick. Tall hard running wingmen who are good overhead and have good skills are very much in demand. If he shows higher than expected speed, agility and leap then he is a smokey to be significantly earlier.

Just on the top end again I really don't think people are giving Sid Draper enough love. He is only just getting back to being close to fully fit. The player he reminds me of most is actually a young Jack Viney. Now in a draft that is very even, even at the top end I would have no issue with the club using a top 3 pick on him. He is tough, runs hard both ways, is great at getting the ball on the inside and is quite elusive. His ball handling is very, very good and he is a very good kick. His only potential weaknesses are his size (but if he's surrounded by bigger mids i see no issue) and his kicking whilst it is very good it doesn't have great depth. He is more your kick 50 metres on the run as opposed to say O'Sullivan who can kick 55+ off a step.

O'Sullivan is the higher level talent but Draper has a much higher floor. I would like people to think about the 2022 draft here and someone like Jhye Clark. Draper is a significantly better junior than Clark, is definitely faster and is more agile. The WCE if they didn't split picks were willing to spend pick 2 on Clark. Knowing Duane well I think Draper will very much be a favourite of his. He also shows great leadership and performs well even in shit teams.

I guess we'll see in the coming weeks whether a change of coach makes a difference and in a lot of ways it always does as a lot of players are playing for their career. The club only needs to win 1 more game to finish 16th. Richmond seem most likely for the spoon, have injuries and look to have put the cue in the rack, North have a terrible % so would have to win an extra game than us.

I however don't want people to get pissy if the club does draft Draper and don't see him running around in the midfield early next year. At his size and weight he will need a couple of preseasons before he is ready or we will wreck his body.

Now I have been told that the WCE have asked about priority assistance (not submitted an application or anything publicly) and were told 100% no if Simpson is the coach. So while the club won't publicly act like beggars like North and put it out in the media there is already talk there.

Whomever is to be coach will likely want to bring certain assistants and a large part of the reason the club has gone early on Simpson as opposed to end of year like the past is you have to go early enough to be able to secure not only the senior coach of choice but also to get assistant coaches. I expect at least 50% of the coaching and development staff to be turned over. Preliminary discussions have already been held with a few candidates.

I worry for the club as I don't rate our list manager at all. There is nothing personal about it but it could be an issue, he wasn't my first choice and wasn't Pyke's first choice either. Gavin Bell whilst highly rated internally and by pretty much everyone who has dealt with him, in particular players and ex staff is a very likely casualty as football manager.
Also, wouldn't Pyke have had the main vote re List Manager?

He wasn’t playing “just as well”. Not sure how anyone can say that with a straight face. Jamieson had some decent games like HEdwards today but also some absolute shockers.
I am not convinced that Jamieson had any games as good as HEdwards today.

He has a long way to go to be a serious defender.

I would pay him out. List clogger. Once he showed he couldn’t ruck at the level he wasn’t worth keeping.

Last edited:
I am not convinced that Jamieson had any games as good as HEdwards today. He has a long to go to be a serious defender. I would pay him out. List clogger. Once he showed he couldn’t ruck at the level he wasn’t worth keeping.
Hes only worth keeping if we lose Barrass, purely as depth.

HEdwards, Gov, Bazzo in the 1s and Jamieson + a draftee in the WAFL sounds fine

With FOS & Smilie crawling to the 'race to pick 1' finish line are people starting to question whether these 2 are locked in for picks 1 + 2?
draper's return from injury has been miles better than FOS'.
Is there a chance we have pick 3 & draper goes in the first 2?

Hes only worth keeping if we lose Barrass, purely as depth.

HEdwards, Gov, Bazzo in the 1s and Jamieson + a draftee in the WAFL sounds fine
Not only that but we need to get another ruck on the list. I’ll be staggered if Barnett, Jamieson or Livingston make it as AFL rucks. Bailey and Flynn are stop gap options. We should be looking at Knobel and other realistic rucks… Jamieson is a speculative luxury we can’t afford.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If only the morons at AFL house could understand this.

You can't sanction these incidents out of the game, you need to coach it.
If both players turn side on hip to hip when their heads down picking up the ball the risk of a high hit is minimised.

But when 1 player turns side on and one goes front on head first they normally come off 2nd best .

But we punish the guy who did the right thing ?

Few HEdwards doubters might have to eat their words I'm thinking

He can play
He is still slow on the lead. Numerous times he was trailing behind hipwood.

What is Hedwards problem in the wafl then ?
Is it an attitude thing because he has some terrible games when he should be dominating the lower level

Yep. If Barrass actually wants to go and it’s not papertalk, I think you have to entertain it.

Relying heavily on Gov staying fit which is risky, but a Gov/Edwards pairing with Bazzo in the wings is a risk worth taking in the short term to gain multiple firsts.

What would it be? Hawks first (currently 6) + Dogs F1? Is that Eagles fan optimism?
I would rather lose waterman than barrass. Preferably neither .

McGovern is almost at an end and without decent defenders the smashings will begin again .

I can't see why we shouldn't give both barrass and waterman extensions.

Who will we pay next season ? We have to hit the 95% cap .

Give barrass another year. Front end his contract so he gets a boost next season and less on the 4th year .

Same with waterman .

If the talk of picks 4-15 or so being relatively even we might be ok with pick 11/12 instead of pick 8.

Maybe pick 12 + WB 2R + Garcia + WB F2 for Barrass and our F3 or something

We are really starting to overrate what teams will pay for Barrass here.

Need to ............temper expectations...........just saying.

And the line we wont trade him unless for overs is fine. But clubs wont pay a kings ransom for a prince.

I would rather lose waterman than barrass. Preferably neither .

McGovern is almost at an end and without decent defenders the smashings will begin again .

I can't see why we shouldn't give both barrass and waterman extensions.

Who will we pay next season ? We have to hit the 95% cap .

Give barrass another year. Front end his contract so he gets a boost next season and less on the 4th year .

Same with waterman .

Well that just ignores the need to replenish the list with multiple top picks. And basically repeats what we have been doing. Extending well paid contracts to long time players hitting or passing 30.

Whats one definition of insantity? Doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different result.

The F1 is their (likely) ticket to The Chad, agree with you Infont think they would trade into next year intending to use it in the draft. Bolton’s manager has been pretty unequivocal that he’s staying a Tiger.

If they aren’t reading them to us, hopefully Freo use at least one of them on Baker.

Just on Chad.

The interweb reporting Tom Harley confident Swans can/will be able to extend Warners contract. Apparently discussions already underway.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

That may be but swatting it away like that each time means recruitment can’t be held accountable EVER.

It’s important to know why it was missed. what we did know and didn’t know, what had changed in lawsons’s life that lead to improvement? Why did Geelong take him? What did they know others didn’t?

At best, it’s a learning opportunity and improve ability in connecting dots in player profile/circumstances.

Similar with Martin. Hindsight arguement requires knowing what lesson learnt was.

Anyway let’s keep going.

Only need to learn two things on all these misses for players under our noses and training with us.

Why did we fail to see the talent training under our noses?

If we rated them who decided / voted to draft someone else who obviously wasnt anywhere near as good?

I really appreciate Bonds comments. However these misses of players training with us is wearing thin. Sure if they are over East and blending in with hundreds of other promising kids fine. But in Perth and training with us?

Just on Chad.

The interweb reporting Tom Harley confident Swans can/will be able to extend Warners contract. Apparently discussions already underway.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Did see that and I posted in the Chad thread that him extending through to FA would be the best possible result for us. In 3 years we’ll be able to get him without draft cost and Freo are unlikely to have the cash to match us. If he is close to signing I’d expect his management to come out and say it’s close, if for no other reason to push Freo into making a ridiculous offer.

I am not convinced that Jamieson had any games as good as HEdwards today.

He has a long way to go to be a serious defender.

I would pay him out. List clogger. Once he showed he couldn’t ruck at the level he wasn’t worth keeping.
Yeah I was being very generous trying to meet jamieson fans half way hahaha.

I agree get him off the list.

What would Richmond accept for Bolton as the Dockers forward line would look so mush better with him in it? Problem I see is that Richmond need to go hard this draft so a parcel of the 3 Freo R1 picks this year may be enough. It would need picks going back but Tigers have loads of those and not just crap picks

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Back