List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Only need to learn two things on all these misses for players under our noses and training with us.

Why did we fail to see the talent training under our noses?

If we rated them who decided / voted to draft someone else who obviously wasnt anywhere near as good?

I really appreciate Bonds comments. However these misses of players training with us is wearing thin. Sure if they are over East and blending in with hundreds of other promising kids fine. But in Perth and training with us?

According to code sports, Greg Harding in ressies insisted he had to get fitter.

I mean f-me. I get sometimes players don’t know what they need to do. “Get fit” requires detail for some players. But the club didn’t think to tell him what he needed to do? NGA staff and recruiters didn’t recognise he needed fitness? Like ahem Kelly and Martin.

Now he could have not shown willingness to do this but it’s important to nail down where it all went wrong. If it’s him just simply deciding to get his shit together afterwards, then fair enough can’t blame club for that. But if it’s simply identifying an issue and telling him what he needed to do and how (which everyone misses), then that is on club.

Well that just ignores the need to replenish the list with multiple top picks. And basically repeats what we have been doing. Extending well paid contracts to long time players hitting or passing 30.

Whats one definition of insantity? Doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different result.
We have so many young players on the list now .

We don't need to add a whole glut of young guys all at once at the expense of one of a few senior A graders we have .

People are impatient.

We also have Hewett, long, Areid, Hutchinson, Burgeil, Barnett, Dewar to try and pump games into .

We need to keep the great players and upgrade the average players .

He looks lumbering and slow in his highlights.

Is he the next Greg clark ?
Clarke was never a wingman. He was a big bodied inside mid that simmo refused to play inside. The amount of players that have been played out of position or in sacrificial roles just for wins rather than development is why Simmos gone.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Clarke was never a wingman. He was a big bodied inside mid that simmo refused to play inside. The amount of players that have been played out of position or in sacrificial roles just for wins rather than development is why Simmos gone.

Clark was to slow for afl . The days of the plodder inside mid are gone unless you are elite and are surrounded by fast players or you are a monster like cripps

With FOS & Smilie crawling to the 'race to pick 1' finish line are people starting to question whether these 2 are locked in for picks 1 + 2?
draper's return from injury has been miles better than FOS'.
Is there a chance we have pick 3 & draper goes in the first 2?
In a way, not having pick one this year will be a positive, BC you're not making a huge call on who you think is the best player. Pick three is a sweet spot. I still think Richmond will take FOS at 1.

I'm not convinced north keep pick 2 - they don't need mids and might want to split it or trade it. Would we take pick 2 for barrass?

You mean Rioli?

I’m not hearing anything.

Dusty is out of contract and an unrestricted free agent. GC pay him what ever they agree to.
Your posted rolled both players into a possible Suns trade. Not touching the Rioli deal but it could be gathered as one - depending.

Dusty is a UFA so nothing to pay there but if the Suns lose Ainsworth to FA, there would be no or watered down compensation with a net off. The 2 clubs do a trade and Suns could give a better pick if Tigers pay some of Dusty $ while Suns retain the Ainsworth FA pick.

This was the rort your scum bag club did with Hawks to protect McGone.

Last edited:
I think we are better off getting creative with our F1 to bring in multiple picks into this draft, rather than trading TB.

Agree with most people's sentiments that Harry E is clearly good enough to lockdown 1 of the 2 key defensive roles now, and I still like the idea of Bazzo as third tall.

But I think the risk is too great with Gov now. Clearly playing wise he could probably still play at a high level for the next 2-3 years, but with yet another rib injury I can't see how he lasts more than 1 more season injury wise.

I think if Gov was 29/30 the TB trade makes sense, but I'd rather we keep TB. It may push Bazzo back from becoming a regular for 1 more year but think TB is vital for remaining competitive in our rebuild.

With FOS & Smilie crawling to the 'race to pick 1' finish line are people starting to question whether these 2 are locked in for picks 1 + 2?
draper's return from injury has been miles better than FOS'.
Is there a chance we have pick 3 & draper goes in the first 2?
Of course there is a chance that Draper goes top 2.

Always questioning where players sit and really we won’t know until October.

We have posters in here that lock away a player as pick one and run poles on who we should select in June and then get upset when there boy gets questioned.

Players will go back post Championships and some will start playing at League level and there are finals in colts and Talent league to come. All big games that can shift players rankings still.

Harry Armstrong could easily be near the top of draft boards by October if he continues on from yesterday as an example. Has hardly cracked a mention in this thread previously. Nothing is locked away yet and far from it.

As a Dogs supporter who has family WCE supporters (I come in peace), get your hands off our young WA players haha. Garcia and Buss

Xavier Lindsay showed why he should be locked in as a first round pick with an outstanding performance in the biggest game of this years Champs series. He played on a wing in the first half of the game and showed he has all the attributes and positional knowledge to thrive there, working up and back, finding a stack of the footy and apply immense defensive pressure. He played more onball in the second half where he was effective and competitive. He did have a few costly turnovers, but also some key moments of quality with ball in hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have so many young players on the list now .

We don't need to add a whole glut of young guys all at once at the expense of one of a few senior A graders we have .

People are impatient.

We also have Hewett, long, Areid, Hutchinson, Burgeil, Barnett, Dewar to try and pump games into .

We need to keep the great players and upgrade the average players .

Sorry Im calling this post out.

I never said trade Waterman or TB for a glut of young players. Never.

I have posted several times we should trade ONE of Waterman or TB. To land another top 10 pick and target an elite player of need. Yes we get steak knives as well but thats not why you trade good players.

One elite player out in an area we can cover. Get another elite midfielder in stregthen an area we are weak.

Nothing about being impatient. Its about strategically getting overs for a player in an area we have covered and need to develop kids in. Tall fowards we have 10 including forward rucks. That is overkill.

Tall defenders we dont have that depth however at 30 is TB really going to be performing when we next contend? Not likely. And we do have coverage and kids to develop.

It is also about not making the same mistake again. Big expensive contracts for players over 30 in TB? Been there and been burnt.

Waterman wants a big pay rise and 5 plus years, and he will. Well that means one of our promising young talls looks elsewhere for opportunity.

How can they he is out of contract.

My understanding is clubs can only pay part of the existing contract. Not part of a new contract.

I could be wrong.
Unless the Tigers sign him for 1 year, then trade him for super cheap, or as steak knives for a Rioli trade

Just saw the final incident in the Metro v Country which Trainor got the free kick for.
Gee, he is as weak as butter for a key position player.
May have won Metro the game but what an indictment on him as a so-called positional player. Should hold his head in shame for that marking contest. Definitely should not be a top 5 pick.
Will see Tobie on Sunday for the next Pioneers game and reinforce to him how impressive he was in that contest against Trainor (and all game tbf).

Can you elaborate regarding Martin? To the outside observer it looks like the drafting team did their job well and presented Martin at the club for consideration. Did the coaching panel make that call, or was it Rohan’s call?
Nick trained several times but was always suffering some type of soreness/injury at the time which held him back.
There was a feeling that the timing was just off when he was around and clubs have to.move fairly fast in that space

That may be but swatting it away like that each time means recruitment can’t be held accountable EVER.

It’s important to know why it was missed. what we did know and didn’t know, what had changed in lawsons’s life that lead to improvement? Why did Geelong take him? What did they know others didn’t?

At best, it’s a learning opportunity and improve ability in connecting dots in player profile/circumstances.

Similar with Martin. Hindsight arguement requires knowing what lesson learnt was.

Anyway let’s keep going.
If I came across as cocky or suggesting we don't care - then I apologise as that was not intention.
Drafting is an incredibly stressful and difficult process. It is also quite subjective so there are a number of differing opinions on just about every kid.
Lawson is a great kid from an incredibly beautiful family. His dad (who presented his jumper) is a great person and June (his mum) is so quiet but determined to support the kids.

There were a number in the drafting group who felt he would make it, others felt he lacked some pace.

I do think we have to be careful about saying WC make mistakes at the draft table regularly. Of course we do, but sometimes we get it right it's what happens afterwards that's beyond the drafting teams control.

We always draft injured players. Like Hewett.

That falls beyond “drafting teams control”. If they can’t bring him back to full fitness, then that’s strength and conditioning.

They however blame recruitment. Development blame both as they say they can’t develop injured players.

And so the blame games goes around in circles and in the end, no one is responsible.

This isn’t unique to west coast though. I’m just saying what the game is and they know it is. They know that everyone else knows it is. Not sure what the solution is.

Tobie had a fantastic game here that was unfortunately mired by a controversial (to say the least) free kick and 50 meter penalty against him that handed Vic Metro the game. Up until that pivotal moment, Tobie was his usual combination of intensely competitive defender and damaging rebounder, regularly disrupting Metro's forward thrusts before setting up his team with attacking dash. Tobie's consistently strong performances have put him right in the top 10 frame.

I think we are better off getting creative with our F1 to bring in multiple picks into this draft, rather than trading TB.

Agree with most people's sentiments that Harry E is clearly good enough to lockdown 1 of the 2 key defensive roles now, and I still like the idea of Bazzo as third tall.

But I think the risk is too great with Gov now. Clearly playing wise he could probably still play at a high level for the next 2-3 years, but with yet another rib injury I can't see how he lasts more than 1 more season injury wise.

I think if Gov was 29/30 the TB trade makes sense, but I'd rather we keep TB. It may push Bazzo back from becoming a regular for 1 more year but think TB is vital for remaining competitive in our rebuild.
I’d rather top end picks tbh

I think we can build a group around the below and don’t need to be sacrificing top end picks

Reid
Ginbey
Hewitt
Pick 2/3
Allen
Etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back