List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 53 19.1%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 75 27.0%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 21 7.6%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 48 17.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 19 6.8%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.7%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 6 2.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
There is still a high level of delusion amongst Eagles fans about the abhorrent state of our list. This cliff has been a long time coming but we've been sleepwalking to oblivion. We are a complete mess, and its a very real probability we won't get near finals for a decade. The gap between Harley and the rest is so stark. I rate our core of youngsters near the bottom.

What a dumb list.

If this list was done on North a year ago theyd have Sheezel then a massive cliff, and theyd be in the bottom half. Now a year on and theyre near the top? With Mckercher the only 2023 draftee added to their top 5 players

We dont fully know what we have yet

What a dumb list.

If this list was done on North a year ago theyd have Sheezel then a massive cliff, and theyd be in the bottom half. Now a year on and theyre near the top? With Mckercher the only 2023 draftee added to their top 5 players

We dont fully know what we have yet
Of course we know what we have. Usually after just 1 pre-season, 2 if being generous.

Eg-An obvious "star" such as Reid will do his highlight stuff, win a clutch moment but conversly then also go missing for long periods.

Ginbey works his backside off to be a defensive/ balanced mid, but will also struggle to win heaps of the footy, and has dodgy disposal at times.

Bazzo reads the play and the flight if the bal well. However lacks strength and 1 on 1 ability. Doesn't mark it as well as McGovern or Barrass but should be a playable replacement or 3rd tall defender.

Etc etc etc

We have a whole bunch in the "maybe" category, but they are hardly going to be multiple AA and prime movers for the team.
If they play 100-150 games it's going to be as a Jackson Nelson type of career-being on the fringe, last player picked each week.

Of course we know what we have. Usually after just 1 pre-season, 2 if being generous.

Eg-An obvious "star" such as Reid will do his highlight stuff, win a clutch moment but conversly then also go missing for long periods.

Ginbey works his backside off to be a defensive/ balanced mid, but will also struggle to win heaps of the footy, and has dodgy disposal at times.

Bazzo reads the play and the flight if the bal well. However lacks strength and 1 on 1 ability. Doesn't mark it as well as McGovern or Barrass but should be a playable replacement or 3rd tall defender.

Etc etc etc

We have a whole bunch in the "maybe" category, but they are hardly going to be multiple AA and prime movers for the team.
If they play 100-150 games it's going to be as a Jackson Nelson type of career-being on the fringe, last player picked each week.

I’m very interested in how you would have judged Yeo and Kelly at the same point in their careers as Ginbey, and Barrass and McGovern at the same point in their careers as Bazzo.

At the point Ginbey is now, Yeo was playing half back at Brisbane, and Kelly was battling away in the WAFL where he’d remain for a few more years.

At the point Bazzo is now, Barrass was just starting to cement himself as a key back, and McGovern was struggling to keep fit at Claremont having not even been close to being called up for AFL.

There is still a high level of delusion amongst Eagles fans about the abhorrent state of our list. This cliff has been a long time coming but we've been sleepwalking to oblivion. We are a complete mess, and its a very real probability we won't get near finals for a decade. The gap between Harley and the rest is so stark. I rate our core of youngsters near the bottom.

Wow. At least we're not Richmond...

I’m very interested in how you would have judged Yeo and Kelly at the same point in their careers as Ginbey, and Barrass and McGovern at the same point in their careers as Bazzo.

At the point Ginbey is now, Yeo was playing half back at Brisbane, and Kelly was battling away in the WAFL where he’d remain for a few more years.

At the point Bazzo is now, Barrass was just starting to cement himself as a key back, and McGovern was struggling to keep fit at Claremont having not even been close to being called up for AFL.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

That SEN article is a crock of shit. How are they ranked but then each team has a different person doing the write up?

Click bait and nothing more

It's like the articles that comes out rating the draft hauls every year.

Some players take longer to develop, some burst out of the blocks and look great before fizzling out.

Proof won't be for a few years regardless.

Take it all with a grain of salt.

It’s been deciding Premierships for nearly 20 years.

The new AFL Bosses haven’t covered themselves in glory to start with but at least they are looking at this rort and plenty others in the comp.
My take on the compromised draft. Remove free agency compo, the compensation a club gets is a rebate of salary cap in which a player would use up indicative of their talent. Remove priority picks- clubs gets themeslve in shit they can get themselves out accordingly.

Nga and f/S are different in one requires funding and development from clubs, and the other is a great piece of history that is unique to our game. In saying that the bidding needs to change. The rules need to be that you have to have an existing pick in that round in which you want to bid on a F/S or nga and it needs to apply to 'ALL' clubs. This single handedly keeps the 2nd round in tact.We have to be careful what we say (myself included) about draft bidding as we might be beneficiaries in the future

Devils advocate- Brisbane using 15 and 53 is a blessing. It leaves our 2nd pic (23) uncompromised and our 4th rounder turns from 59 into 58.

Look at Chad Warner and ginbey second season.

The Chad.
Played 2 games first year.
Played 13 second year.....averaged 16 disposal, 3.7 tackles, 2.5 clearances, kick efficiency 52%, contested 7

Ruben ginbey
Played 17 first year.
Second year played 17....
averaged 15 disposal, 4.2 tackles, 2.5 clearances, kick efficiency 62%, contested 7

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Harvey Langford took home the Larke medal for the best player across the 2024 Champs series and its not hard to see why. This wasn't his most prolific statistical performance, but he stood up in the big moments and lead his team. Powerful at the contest with his big 190cm frame, excellent overhead and with a booming left foot kick, Langford is putting up a serious case to be considered with a top 10 pick in November.

Wow. At least we're not Richmond...
Ignore him he’s a troll.

If you look at those lists the better top 5’s are filled with 22 & 23 yr olds. Most of our guys are in the 18-21 age group. Yeah it’s an excuse but it shows the reality that we are at the beginning of the rebuild not the end.
Lets do it again in 2-3 yrs time.

Neil Balme in the HUN saying he’s pretty confident Baker will remain at the Tigers. Could be the second time in two years someone has saved us from ourselves.
View attachment 2049977

As much as I’ve advocated for Baker, I kind of agree that this would save us from ourselves. I could see us splitting the pick for the premise of getting Baker in and that would destroy my soul lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My take on the compromised draft. Remove free agency compo, the compensation a club gets is a rebate of salary cap in which a player would use up indicative of their talent. Remove priority picks- clubs gets themeslve in shit they can get themselves out accordingly.

Nga and f/S are different in one requires funding and development from clubs, and the other is a great piece of history that is unique to our game. In saying that the bidding needs to change. The rules need to be that you have to have an existing pick in that round in which you want to bid on a F/S or nga and it needs to apply to 'ALL' clubs. This single handedly keeps the 2nd round in tact.We have to be careful what we say (myself included) about draft bidding as we might be beneficiaries in the future

Devils advocate- Brisbane using 15 and 53 is a blessing. It leaves our 2nd pic (23) uncompromised and our 4th rounder turns from 59 into 58.
Happy to take a priority pick this year. Mid 1st round would be nice.

As much as I’ve advocated for Baker, I kind of agree that this would save us from ourselves. I could see us splitting the pick for the premise of getting Baker in and that would destroy my soul lol.
I think the way it happens is if we get AFL assistance. Otherwise i think it hurts our draft hand either this year or next too much. Baker would make us better now.

No we dont, not necessarily. We know some, like Hough and Reid for example(more or less)

Etc etc etc

We dont know exactly where many of our kids will be in 3 years time when theyre all 21-23ish.

There is so much so find out still youre not even close.

Ginbey- half back or mid?
Maric just moved to the wing
Bazzo could be good? hasnt played all year. Do we need another KPD or is he good long term?
Hewett could be great depends how his foot goes
Hutch could be a forward/wing/something else
We thought Trew was a plodder due to be delisted, now hes had a full game and looked ok
HEdwards was the same a few months ago, now looks like a solid player
Chesser played inside mid in the WAFL, is he a wing or an inside mid?

the list goes on

Look at what the listed for Sydney, GC, Port, Freo at the top. All their top players are in their 20s, been around for years. Did Warner or Gulden look like potential brownlow winners in their first 2 years? I dont think they did.

Once a bunch of our guys get to 40-50+ games we might know what we have

Neil Balme in the HUN saying he’s pretty confident Baker will remain at the Tigers. Could be the second time in two years someone has saved us from ourselves.
View attachment 2049977
TBH, that's a standard reply.

No one's going to come out and say "we think he's leaving".

Unless we can get him if we received a few priority picks or a future seconder rounder, it's a pass from me.

Etc etc etc

Miguel made some good points but id also add.

Harley will build his tank over time so those periods of going missing will become less and less. No different to Martin at the same stage.
His workrate will eventually lead to him winning more of the ball as he improves his run patterns and positioning around the ball. His numbers are reasonable for a second year player playing in a poor side.
He’s bulked up looking at him in the WAFL on the weekend. He wont lack strength or be as poor as he matures. Of course a young kpd is going to struggle in that area.

I think the way it happens is if we get AFL assistance. Otherwise i think it hurts our draft hand either this year or next too much. Baker would make us better now.

A couple end of 1sts that we have to trade would be a god send, could send one for Baker and then one + something else for the Lions 1st or something like that.

Disagree.

Free agency compo needs to stay but I do think it shoudlnt kick in until after all non finalist have had their first round pick (pick 11 min) why it should stay goes nearky arm in arm with your other point about freeing up salary space. Minimal free agents go to bottom teams or the smaller Vic teams because the same teams getting the marquee games and that’s a huge draw card. They go for less money to go to better teams. Just letting the rich get richer.

NGA its self is a decent idea especially with the indigenous numbers declining but 14/18 currently have no real motivation to putting money into with no being able to match until 40. It’s dart throwing at that stage. Put money into but don’t make them good enough to be good…. At least that is changing. The other part that needs to be tighten up is Players qualifying due to being born overseas James Borlase dad player 200+ games of SANFL but qualified.

Father son, yeah I can see why it’s staying around but there has been 100+ years of sons following their dads foot steps and being stars so not sure how much influence clubs have in developing. It would help clearly but lost management shouldn’t be highly influenced by luck of sperm lotto.

No issue with the Academies as long as they pay what is fair. 15 and 53 still isn’t enough imo. Get those points more accurate and play on. Who cares if GC missed out on one of their 4 last year. The Eagles pick 18 pushed out to 30 and missed out on their own NGA in the mean time. GC shouldn’t be able to turn a draft hand into 4 picks before the spooner gets their 2nd and still have 3 more in its pocket for the next year

Priority picks shouldn’t be a thing if these thing are tighten up but while you have FS/Academies, I have no issue with PP is a team is continuously disadvantage during their rebuild due to these. Also other circumstances are at play, players having to retire from concussion early which is very hard to plan for. Hopefully they get the points right and the PP are really scaled back.

we wont get assistance - AFL too busy wiping North's arse
Some days i think the same. However not having any inside knowledge but just simply a guess, i feel like the removal of Simpson earlier than most expected was to do with post season strategy rather than necessity.

We have moved out the coach, CEO, list manager and changed our S&C who were all in different ways responsible for where the club is positioned currently.

The new admin can now say to the AFL hey this wasn’t our doing, we need some help here. It’s more likely to get taken seriously this year, it would have been laughed out the door last year.

Trew is on the rookie list so you need another player delisted for Fos and Draper
As for Knobel it seems most Dockers fans prefer to keep Knobel and ditch Reidy who can't get a game with Darcy injured.
Not sure what's Reidy's negatives are as he dominate hit outs at wafl level so i assume it is his around the ground work.
Sorry, I had J.Jones re-signed as a rookie as I like his versatility and he can play good games when called upon. His list spot creates the space if my math is correct.

There may be another/better option than Knobel then, but I do think it'd be an attractive sell for him individually rather than staying on freo's list as the 3rd or 4th option. #1 ruck spot up for grabs, doesn't have to move city, a few local Gippsland boys to become mates with, Harley-mania. Biased WC fan here though haha

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Back