List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, a bit late to the party.

I am in the middle on Clarke’s two presser performances. Certainly didn’t sell us up the river, but in no way portrayed the hard line some wanted. I am sure the influence of these interviews on actual trade discussions is negligible at best anyhow.

I think you can clearly see from the reactions today that Clarke is going to suffer from years of built up angst towards WC perceived ‘soft’ approach to trade week.

Judge him on his trades. In saying that..

As petty as it is, I will say Darling for 67 is pretty flattening. Like I see how either 61 or 67 would likely get consumed in the Champion bid, so it is much of a muchness. But I don’t see why just because North’s picks dropped in value that darlings value dropped as well? What was 67 before the compos, 64? Obviously a small difference, but even that pick is still unders for a guy that’ll compete in the air and can kick 30 for a team that actually delivers it to him.

I just feel like we could have told North 61 is the price. How can anyone argue 61 alone is not reasonable? Not mad, just disappointed.

Last edited:
Agreed with stallon on this one. Wouldn't want to sell the entire farm but a gun's a gun and there's a fair bit to play out - Sydney could drop off (possible), the media could create an absolute circus around him coming home (unlikely cause we're not Richmond/Collingwood but slightly possible) and Freo could be entirely out of the race if they trade their future picks and do better next year, making us the only option (possible if not likely).

His value would be too much if it was this year but there might be circumstances next year that give our F1 the upper hand, would rather retain it if possible, and if we do split our first this year it'd still be nice to have the option of a top-ender next year regardless. Geelong got us on Kelly, sure, but they're also the BODEs and we were gunning for immediate success in our window which was a bad call in hindsight but I'm happy the club would take the shoot for the moon stance with a 2nd premiership seemingly on the cards.

We have a great trade relationship with Sydney and there's a lot to play out. Do agree if the asking price is too much would just target the draft but it'd be silly not to keep the option open.
I would be OK with Warner if we were on the cusp of the 8... but we are a few years off from that yet.

I do wonder if Clarke's response re Baker was because he knows what Baker is like and values him highly and so carries a more Richmond-centered view of his value rather than a truly external view of his value. There is more than one person in the room though so I hope the discussions internally from our side are skewing Baker's value downward.

The impression I got re Barrass was that we want to keep him but we're open to letting him go as that is what he has requested but we won't do so unless we are happy with the return. I do hope we've put the hard word on Hawthorn to go and find a top 10 pick similar to how Port have set the price for Houston at two firsts and let Carlton, Collingwood and North figure out how it gets done.

Judge him on his trades. In saying that..

I just feel like we could have told North 61 is the price. How can anyone argue 61 alone is not reasonable? Not mad, just disappointed.

I like most here am pretty nervous with this trade period that we don't give up the rare rnd 1 picks that we have/will get. We have been gifted 0 afl compo and inflated FA picks to date and have very little currency beyond TB.

Agree to judge on trades and pray the rumours are wrong re Baker straight swap for 14 (if we get it).

However, I definitely wouldn't judge him on 67 vs 61 for JD. I think being tough is holding the line where it makes sense or drives an advtange for the club. In this scenario we'd be trying to 'win' a trade that's meaningless as the delta between those picks is close to nothing. Someone like Dodoro would definitely hold out for 61. Consuming time and energy away from the trades that matter.

View attachment 2134753

Keep trying to copy and paste the entire article but it’s not letting me

Harley had some pretty concerning comments tbh, one of them that caught my eye was that he wasn’t able to get home as much as he liked this year… we gave him a game off to go back there, he was there when he was suspended and on our bye weeks etc. too.

Still feel optimistic about keeping him for 1-2 years beyond his initial contract, but he does keep dropping these sorts of comments.
For anyone interested:

Harley Reid opens up on journey from shy country kid to footy star​

He’s gone from a kid living simply in country Victoria to the “big smoke” of Perth and now Harley Reid has shared details of his incredible first year in the AFL, admitting he wouldn’t wish some of the attention on anyone.

7 min read
October 4, 2024 - 2:00PM
https://archive.md/ysGtK#share-tools
c7d2191201a67c21ad3b5bb179674a5be5ad93cd.jpg

Young footy superstar Harley Reid speaks about life growing up on a Victorian farm and his love of racing ahead of the Caulfield Cup.

Harley Reid had a quintessential country childhood. He milked cows, kicked a footy over hay bales, bonded with cattle dogs, did a spot of camping, some tractor work and went fishing — that was life in Tongala.

Now with a population up around 3000 people, the dairy-farming Goulburn Valley town between Kyabram and Echuca still puts a smile on his face.

“Mostly I grew up on my uncle and aunty’s farm in Kyabram, you’re running around in each different paddock and I had a great relationship with all the animals along the way,’’ Reid says while enjoying some time back on the property.

“There was always a footy in my hand, kicking it around and whatnot. We used to have a paddock with goalposts where we would do most of our footy training. There’s a dam on the farm where we’d head down for a fish and get the kneeboard in there and drive around in the four wheeler and soak up the time and enjoy country life on the paddock.”

Harley Reid on his uncle’s farm in Kyabram with farm dog Macy. Picture: Mark Stewart

Harley Reid on his uncle’s farm in Kyabram with farm dog Macy. Picture: Mark Stewart

Reid is now 19 but the memories of life back on the farm are still vivid.

He grew up with parents Mark and Vanessa and two sisters Hollie, a teacher, and Jasmin, who works at a physio company. They all played sport, it was just a natural thing to do.

As a teenager Reid used to work at the local pub, the Ky West Hotel, which sadly burnt down last year, and he finished his year 12 exams at St Joseph’s College in Echuca.

“It’s a small community, an everyone knows each other type of town which is good,’’ Reid says.

And everyone knows of the footy-loving lad with the prodigious talent. They’d see him following dad Mark down to training at the Tongala Blues.

After kicking a footy from age three and then showing plenty of promise with the Bendigo Pioneers, it was obvious Reid had a big future in the game. He’s gone from a kid living simply in country Victoria to the “big smoke” of Perth and playing at the top level in the AFL. Time has flown, and life flipped on its head, since his name was read out at the 2023 draft as the No. 1 pick.

Reid as a junior.

Reid as a junior.

From the moment he touched down in Perth it’s been a free-for-all with everyone knowing his name, his face and his ability.

For the shy teenager with trademark long hair, it’s a lot to take in at times.

“I guess it’s something I’ve had to deal with and try to accept but at times I don’t wish some of the attention on anyone, to be honest, with some things you have to cop and deal with from people who are jealous to an extent or whatnot,’’ he says. “It’s hard with some aspects that come with it and it’s something that can come in multiple different ways. The AFL world is known for it I guess.

“I think, like everyone that plays footy, the end dream is to play AFL footy and footy has always been a part of me and I’ve never really done life without it. It’s all gone very quickly and felt like I got drafted yesterday.

“My first impressions (of Perth) were it was more like the weather was nice. The first block there it was a quick stint to enjoy the sunshine and experience the day to day.”

Harley Reid with parents Mark and Vanessa and sisters Hollie and Jasmin.

Harley Reid with parents Mark and Vanessa and sisters Hollie and Jasmin.

Reid made his debut in round 2 and it didn’t take long to make headlines all around the country – not just in WA.

Many commentators were saying Reid, wearing the club’s famous No. 9 jumper, had given the Eagles back their relevancy after they dipped to the bottom rungs of the ladder and on the back of a disappointing decline.

An unexpected bump in the road was when coach Adam Simpson was sacked in July after 11 years in charge.
“For me, that was a bit out of the blue … I didn’t really think it was happening to be honest,’’ Reid recalls.

“I got into the club and (Simpson) didn’t attend one of the meetings and we didn’t know what was going on. That experience is something I won’t forget, it was a very weird experience. Simmo did so much for me and the relationship I had with him felt like I’d been with him for 10 years, not just six months. I couldn’t feel more privileged to play under him for six months.”

Reid with former coach Adam Simpson. Picture: Daniel Carson/AFL Photos

Reid with former coach Adam Simpson.
Reid admits at times he has had to turn off social media and has learnt to keep his “circle very tight”.
“Yeah, throughout the year … I got to the point where I had to do that and minimise my social media time,’’ he says, “choosing the right time when to go on it.”

“I feel like I dealt with it at the time. There’s stuff you’ve got to block out, you know, that’s not true and keep your circle very tight I guess.

“I wasn’t able to get back home as much as I would like and that was something that was tough throughout the year, but now having a break it’s good to get back.

35d21636c075ab8e277ad4f502c0fd07debfec09.webp

Watch as footy star Harley Reid and Caulfield Cup winner Sam Freedman join forces for a photo shoot at Marvel Stadium.
“I think it’s hard to keep in touch with family and friends when you’re two or three hours behind everyone back home. But the boys are great and you’re pretty busy over there too so you don’t really think about home too much. Footy day-to-day life is a very busy one.”

Amid the highs and lows of his first season, where he managed to play and star in 20 games, were the interactions with people he’s admired. A dangerous tackle suspension ruled him ineligible to win the Rising Star award — which many felt was all but a certainty — but he did win goal of the year for his incredible dashing goal against Melbourne at Optus Stadium.

Reid has been supported by some AFL greats. Picture: Daniel Carson/AFL Photos

Reid has been supported by some AFL greats. Picture: Daniel Carson/AFL Photos

The highlight was getting support from Ben Cousins, the Eagles great who previously wore the No. 9 jumper, plus messages from Melbourne star Christian Petracca and retired Richmond premiership hero Dustin Martin.

“I’m an ex-Geelong supporter, I grew up supporting them, and I would have to say Gary Ablett Jr was someone I always looked up to,’’ Reid says.

“Paddy Dangerfield, Christian Petracca and Dusty Martin too.

“Dusty sent me a message after the Richmond game and I have a lot of respect for that guy and the contribution he’s had in the AFL world is pretty special so that was very, very cool.

“I met Benny last year and I was lucky enough to do some gigs with him throughout the year. He’s a good fella and he loved the way I’ve gone about my footy and I couldn’t thank him enough for his support.

He will spend some time in Victoria in the off-season. Picture: Will Russell/AFL Photos

He will spend some time in Victoria in the off-season. Picture: Will Russell/AFL Photos

“Obviously everyone loves to play footy and running out at home with the Optus crowd is just another pump up of energy to go out there and give it a red hot crack.

“I’ve enjoyed my footy this year, it’s a lot better when you’re winning and a lot of boys have helped me express myself and Simmo and the boys have let me express myself from the get-go.

“It’s always good when you’re winning and we’re in a rebuild stage of trying to get better each week and we could match it against the best but just couldn’t do it consistently.”

For all the talk about Reid and his talent, the top discussion is about the “go home” factor and if he’ll return to play in Victoria.

He will spend some time here in the off-season at home and in Melbourne with his childhood sweetheart, AFLW Carlton player Yasmin Duursma.
Harley Reid and Yasmin Duursma at the Brownlow. Picture: Michael Klein

Harley Reid and Yasmin Duursma at the Brownlow. Picture: Michael Klein

The long-distance relationship is flourishing despite the state divide, with Reid in the stands alongside her family when she made her debut with Carlton in grand final week.

The relatively private couple also stepped out together to attend the Brownlow Medal. “Duursma” is also a pretty handy footy name — her brothers are Xavier at Essendon, Zane at North Melbourne and Willem in the under-18s competition.
“For sure, it’s good to see how her footy is going and be there face-to-face to be able to support her along her journey,’’ Reid says.

Reid is also attending the Caulfield Cup on October 19, not with Duursma but with family and friends.
“I’m looking forward to some downtime and being back in Victoria spending time with family and friends in an environment that’s so welcoming,’’ he says.
Reid will attend this year’s Caulfield Cup. Picture: Mark Stewart

Reid will attend this year’s Caulfield Cup. Picture: Mark Stewart

“I’m also looking forward to going to the Caulfield Cup Carnival again, this time as a Friend of Melbourne Racing Club.

“I’m excited to see some great Group 1 racing and be amongst the crowds. The new GA area at Caulfield is inspired by international sports events, so has entertainment, live music and food trucks right next to the track, giving punters some of the best views in the house.

“I really like Caulfield. No matter where you are, you can see the track and horses, so you feel like you’re part of the action. If you’re in GA like I was last year, you won’t need to move all day. Whoever has No. 9 too, I might have to back them.”

Reid understands there’s a fascination with his movements and with his future but the ‘Tonny’ kid is a live-in-the-moment kind of guy.

“I haven’t really thought long term at all, more short term and living in that moment and trying to set little goals to keep ticking the boxes and get better and rebuild to where we want to be,’’ he says.

“It’s trying to find what suits me and what will be right for my career.

“Going No. 1 was huge and to have this chance, I just want to take it and do my best.”

I actually liked Clarke's presser, spoke confidently - like a man that knows what he wants and isn't looking to play games. I feel like we've been part of a smoke and mirrors organisation for years and years under Nesbitt and I'm not certain if it's ever worked in our favour (to the extent that they hope it does) - whilst at the same time alienating our fan-base.

His comment about Baker being worth a pick in the teens or thereabouts seemed like a reflex reply, perhaps a moment's more thought was needed before his answer in that case but I was really happy with the rest.
The fact that he agreed pick 13 was value for Baker is a massive slip up .

What an idiot .

Its like a salesman asking you what your willing to spend then telling them .

What has been overlooked in his reply is that he also said it would depend on what picks each team ended up with after other trades. He then later said when talking about Barrass that we wouldn’t necessarily wait for that trade to be done before finalising a Baker deal - which would mean we wouldn’t have pick 14 to use

But that would need people to put his comments in context before reaching a conclusion on something that will take until at least the end of this week and probably into next week to finalise
Richmond know the Barass trade will get done

Richmond know Clarke for some unknown reason rates Baker as an early teens pick

Richmond will WAIT until the Barrass trade is done

I’ve never been so dumbfounded. Why are we the only club stating what they think players are worth On public record

Clarke needs to go if this baker trade goes ahead. A f1 for an old role player.... keep barrass and stop this nonsense.
He’s 26. I’m not a fan of the rumored price but if everyone could stop acting like he’s never kicked a footy before either that would be great.

We are better with him in the team, thats not up for debate. Debate the cost, or if we’d be better using that pick on a kid, but let’s not pretend he isn’t instantly in our top ten players.

Richmond know the Barass trade will get done

Richmond know Clarke for some unknown reason rates Baker as an early teens pick

Richmond will WAIT until the Barrass trade is done

I’ve never been so dumbfounded. Why are we the only club stating what they think players are worth On public record
Ok skid.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gee some of you lads on here need to have a break from trade time for your own sake

Just listen to the infomas press conference. Clarke said nothing of substance (typically AFL media interviews). He was asked a question and gave a pretty nothing answer ("urgh, umm, yeah, maybe I think so, somewhere in there, other mechanisms what we end up with what they end up with, we will work through it").

You guys seriously taking that answer as gospel, trading a mid teen pick (which we don't actually have yet) for baker? Come on, answering a question by straight batting the answer back at the journo is AFL media training 101.
Not sure what media training you’ve had but it was horrendous and there’s no getting around it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LoL

3 and 14 for 6, 1/2 and Baker?
You’re not very good at gambling are you? Had we taken the Hawks deal for pick 1 last year which at the time seemed the strongest we would have had pick 5, 17 (after bids) and Brockman. Most would have expected two top 5 picks.

There’s a price to giving Richmond their FOS/Jagga pairing, a known top 3 pick and not delaying a year of development for an as yet unknown quantity a year down the track.

Alright campaigners - let me have a go at some hypothetical trade garbage.

3 + F2 for 6, Baker, F1

Hawks trade 14 + F1 to Saints for 7 + F2

Barrass for 7 + St Kilda's F2

We go to the draft with

6, 7, 26

In 2025 we have Richmond F1, WCE F1 and St Kilda F2.

Could even look to move our F1 next year into picks in this years draft depending on how we rate the pool. Or hold it for a potential Warner play.

Who says no?

3 plus F 2nd for pick 6 and Richmonds F1st is a fantasy all by utself never mind adding Baker.

I like most here am pretty nervous with this trade period that we don't give up the rare rnd 1 picks that we have/will get. We have been gifted 0 afl compo and inflated FA picks to date and have very little currency beyond TB.

Agree to judge on trades and pray the rumours are wrong re Baker straight swap for 14 (if we get it).

However, I definitely wouldn't judge him on 67 vs 61 for JD. I think being tough is holding the line where it makes sense or drives an advtange for the club. In this scenario we'd be trying to 'win' a trade that's meaningless as the delta between those picks is close to nothing. Someone like Dodoro would definitely hold out for 61. Consuming time and energy away from the trades that matter.
We accepted Norf’s first offer. We don’t need to be pricks but countering with a modest 61 would have at least given us consecutive picks. We should have also asked the question of a swap of their F3 (which are apparently worthless) for our F4 to match an expected late 2R bid on Banfield or Walley. Poor debut.

Not sure what media training you’ve had but it was horrendous and there’s no getting around it.
Well none. But I've consumed enough footy media in my time to realise that in 99% of interview, nothing of substance is said. Every answer is generic and vague. This was one of those interviews.

He's not going to come out and spill the clubs internal discussions.

You’re not very good at gambling are you? Had we taken the Hawks deal for pick 1 last year which at the time seemed the strongest we would have had pick 5, 17 (after bids) and Brockman. Most would have expected two top 5 picks.

There’s a price to giving Richmond their FOS/Jagga pairing, a known top 3 pick and not delaying a year of development for an as yet unknown quantity a year down the track.
There’s not a chance Richmond takes that deal

I did think we might attempt something like this, but then theres been talk of splitting 3 to get more kids in and stuff.

It'd have been nice/interesting, but I think we are a year away from trying bigger moves like that. Probably need to get a couple more early draft picks in still before going all in imo.

If it was me id be planning to go all in next year with Warner and chasing Starcevich as a FA + whoever else we can convince.
Definitely merit in both strategies. There would’ve been more smoke by now if Warner was a chance this year you’d think, unless maybe he’s meeting with Freo/WCE while he’s in WA. Next year makes more sense now though. If TK isn’t extended beyond next year then Chad would plug in as an immediate upgrade.

There’s not a chance Richmond takes that deal
That’s fine but there also shouldn’t be a chance pick 14 is involved in the Baker deal yet here we are. To quote an ITk poster earlier this year before Baker’s shit season: “anyone who thinks he is worth a pick greater than 20-25, I think has hit the pub a bit early today”.

Prophetic really because Clarke had clearly been on the beers before that train wreck presser.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back