List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Whose future picks would you have preferred?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Trade period
In: 12, F1, F2, F3, 73, Baker, Owies, Graham*
Out: 3, 63, F4, Barrass, Darling

*Free agent

Done deals

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Rotham being delisted would be a formality

If Daniels is right that he’s a chance to get a new contract I can only assume McQualter has spoken to him and sees a potential role for Rotham. Given Rotham does actually possess some athleticism a new game plan that focuses on speed might suit him

Maybe a new coach can unlock the potential he showed earlier in his career that became stymied under our kick mark game.

A bit like the way Sheppard had a new lease on life under Simpson with a better defined role

Probably puts a line through Witherden as I can’t see us retaining both
Defensive winger perhaps?

TBH I thought the end result of the Barrass trade was very good news for everyone, but I might be too close to it.

It was a good result, you certainly aren’t too close to it 👍

Unfortunately there is a group that have lost ability to use critical thinking and rationality since Tuesday. We can only hope that some regain that function.

A question, how much direct input would Clarke have in the draft, as in who we are looking at closely and or select on the day? Or is he primarily contracts, financial management (salary cap) and trades/negotiations?

And re Walls from Fremantle, I hope he isn’t letting dear old Dad influence his views about WCE :p

If he's not signed by the mid year bye i'll be worried. Preseason, 6 rounds of footy and then onto the contract that he should show he deserves. Geelong at the end of this contract would happily throw 10 years and 15+ mill at him at even close to current rate of improvement. He'd be back in Victoria but not in the Melbourne fishbowl. The club simply must put a contract worth signing in front of him within a few weeks of the main season starting if he has a good preseason.

Also honestly people don't think the club had every crack at Free agents?

Would you have given Cumming a 6 year deal or Perryman a 7 year deal? I sure as shit wouldn't have. A 4 year deal for Cumming and 5 years for Perryman at most.

6 year deal for Cumming for an already injury prone player takes him through till 32. 7 year deal for Perryman takes him through till 33.

Oh and chews 1.6+ mill of contract space.
I was talking about Murphy Reid. That guy no one knows about. That's where we're at.

Cumming and Pez are solid soldiers. I guess if you think they are a flag jigsaw piece, you have to offer them overs. I wouldn't be giving many players over 4 years. A contract is to protect against them being OOC and leaving for not much.

Let's have a look at the bigger picture.

These are the top 65 players give or take (I found some SEN article). No doubt people will point out some guys should be in, some out, but it's not going to move the needle on the percentages.

This is the big picture: WHEN YOU'RE REBUILDING WIH TOP 5 PICKS, DON'T PISS THEM UP THE WALL. The stats don't lie.

View attachment 2146176
Onya Mate.

These are the top 65 players give or take (I found some SEN article). No doubt people will point out some guys should be in, some out, but it's not going to move the needle on the percentages.

This is the big picture: WHEN YOU'RE REBUILDING WIH TOP 5 PICKS, DON'T PISS THEM UP THE WALL. The stats don't lie.

View attachment 2146176

Is that supposed to be the top 65 players in comp?

Cos I have some questions if so

The stats don't lie. The stats pretty conclusively say "if you have a top 5 pick, draft a top 5 pick".

It should be self evident that the higher you're taken in the draft, the higher chance you'll be a gun/long term player. The top 3 are the top 3 for a reason.

Always exceptions, but we're talking probabilities.

Yet we've finished in the bottom three 3 times and have taken one top 3 pick.

But hey, Liam Baker amirite? 😬

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those wanting to look at trading options (whether now or on draft night), look no further than the Drug Rats.

Dons hold picks for 2024 draft of 28, 31, 40, 46, 53, 54 and 65 and in the futures, they have 2 x F1 (own and Melb), F2 and F4.

Assuming they had word that a bid on Kako was coming prior to 9, they traded out. Let me assume it is pick 7 (SOS may well still holding a grudge against Dildoro for bidding on his son Jack when there was gentlemen's agreement that once the second round had passed then they let the clubs take them late).

Assuming a bids on Ashcroft is in the top 2 (it should be 1) and Lombard to be before Kako. That means pick 7 becomes pick 9 and the points required for matching at 9 that bid are 1,175. Now picks 40, 46, 53, 54 and 65 total up to will all come in assuming there will be a dozen or so picks consumed by matching Ashcroft and Lombard.
1729157644516.png

That means it is in the best interest for Essendon to sell off 28 and 31 prior to the bid and then to get something back.

When I think of the depth in this draft, there looks to be some great options at 28 and 31.

Option:-
Dons trade with us 28, 31 and 65 for for our F2 and Hawks F2
Bid for Kako comes - Dons trade with Sydney for pick 19 and whatever else that makes the deal equitable. If not Sydney, then Tigers.

Outcome.
Eagles happy buying back in and getting deeper picks where it is still good value in a deep draft
Dons happy as they cash out of value picks and use up late picks then buy back in and get 2 first round picks
Sydney happy as they pick up valuable picks for 2025 where they have some good academy prospects
(Please do not get hung up on the exact machinations - it is an example that is not fully worked out.

We then take to the 12, 26, 28, 31, 65, 73 and 81 (last 2 picks will come in with points for Champion)
2025 we hold F1, Hawks F1, own F3 and Hawks F3 (so Warner deal an option or take two first rounders and have good points for matching Walley and Banfield

For the record, I have at those rankings

12 = Lindsay, Berry, Allan or Hynes
26 = Gross, Moraes or O'Farrell
28 = Oliver, Mraz or Ough
31 = Barrat, Davis or Jacques
65 = Sumpf, Burmeister or Day-Wicks

View attachment 2146176

Appreciate the effort here - Though I suspect this is measuring "What does SEN value in a player" rather than who are the "best" players/how do clubs value players

A few things:
  • Firstly, Chad Warner isn't in the top 65 players? No Issac Heeney?
  • What year does this list of 65 relate to - best players drafted between 2012-2024? It must include 2024 because Reid and McKercher are in there - so it accounts for emergening form yet no Hogan or Waterman after the season they just had? Jed Walter is in, wtf??
  • Very curious about the field positon of each player - on face value looks like it skews to rating mids. I might be wrong, but i'd like to see a list that balances all positions more evenly.
  • Why is the list broken down as it has been? 1-5, 6-13 and then 14 to 64? Fine break down the top 5 or 10, but why not rank the rest based roughly on draft order, e.g. first round, second round, third round? Or 1-10, 10-20, 20-30, 30-40, 40+
Be nice to see a similar assessment based on a higher value categorisation of players rather than a SEN opinion piece - Games played (150/200+ games is pretty good measure of a good player), AFLPA MVP vote list, Coaches Association votes, or even Chamption Data (albiet biased).

Anecdotally we all know it - the chance of getting a decent player is higher at earlier picks, because you have the pick of the litter. I just don't think your %'s is anywhere close to being accurate.

Apologies I just can't comment on these in public or to people privately who I haven't seen around here or know their posting history for a very, very long time.

I won't be anywhere other than retired in 6 weeks time. I had a rather cushy and high paying offer within the industry (not at AFL level) but turned it down. I'm done. I have 4 days off before a bit of time discussing with clubs about potential pick swaps and then any potential live pick trading during the draft. 90% of my work is finished.

I doubt I spend more than 8 weeks in the country next year.
So what you're saying is we'll talk again next off season when you're back amongst it?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Back