List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
the thing with slight frame players is that some like masten will simply never be able to put on the needed muscle due to genetics and it's probably only something you will find out after a few preseasons
Hence Smith might not be a risk worth taking at pick 3.

We absolutely have to nail pick 3.

Very well done. I just don't know what position of absolute need Baker fills for a decent period that justifies pick 17 in this draft I'd much rather take the draft pick or, fill that ruck hole in 2 years, with a Reidy/Knobel added to the list.

Agree, Dodson, the highest ruck in this draft would be a very good chance to be available at 17.

17 would also be extremely useful if we did want to trade for a ruck, not that their are really any available this year (perhaps only freo as you’ve mentioned).

Baker wouldn’t improve our side as much as a decent ruck would.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Liam Reidy another 66 hit outs in a losing WAFL final. If you can manage to pull him or Knobel out of Freo you could be dressed in a clown suit honking a horn and pull off no other trades for the entire period and I still wouldn’t call you a fool. I hope it’s the top trade priority.
His 66 hit outs didn't help peel

Yes, Butters is a good comparison. Butters is light but very hard and a very good player.

Both Butters and Rozee are light but very fast as well as skilful.

I am still unsure on Smith mainly because of the size question.
Butters rozee and JHF have wines and drew doing the heavy lifting inside with the fantastic 3 exiting stoppage .

I don't mind Smith at 3 if fos and draiper are gone . Reminds me of tom Mitchell with better foot speed

Well deserved. The amount of players who elevate that game at West Coast in their mid twenties as Waterman has is likely quite low. Now hopefully he can repeat this season a couple more times and our supply to him improves in the coming years.

I think with Waterman it was more being able to play in a position where his pwrformances could make more of a difference rather than run up and down the dead wing acting as a decoy.

I still don't know why we don't occasionally choose to change direction down the other side when 32 players are down one wing. (With 2 involved in the kick in after a point and 1 from each team on the dead wing pretending they'll be involved in the play)

If we could manage the following from trade period I’d be reasonably happy.

Trade out :
Barrass for pick 13 and Hawthorn F2
Darling and pick 59 for picks 40,64

Trade in :
Graham as a FA
Baker for our F2
Peatling for Hawthorn F2

Leaves us with five picks (3,13,23,40,64) to take to the draft but no R2 pick for 2025. We’d need to delist 6 players to use all those picks, 7 if we wanted to also use pick 3 in the rookie draft

Other options/possibilities :
Out -
Ryan’s name keeps popping up. Think it’s unlikely but if he asks to be traded and we can get a pick in the 20’s or an early to mid F2 then it’s worth considering

Petruccelle might be of interest to Richmond given their outs and if we were able to get one of their R3 picks (currently 39,41,47) or an F3 I’d take it

In -
Garcia or Sheldrick would be my next preference if we miss Peatling. Maybe one of them in addition to Peatling but I’m not quite sure what we’d have trade wise.

Robertson is an alternative backup plan to the above who we might be able to get cheap with something like a swap of F3 picks with Brisbane

Parfitt, like Graham, is a free hit as a FA and at 26 is just young enough to be in the age group we are short in. If we don’t succeed in getting more than one of Peatling, Sheldrick, Garcia or Robertson then he could be handy depth on a 2 year contract

Blight has yet to sign a new contract with Richmond. At 23 years old he’d be handy KPD depth if he wants to come home to WA. Maybe we could do a straight swap for Petruccelle or Burgiel

Once trade period is over and picks are set after what shapes as one of the busiest trade weeks ever, we can look at the benefits of splitting picks or combining picks to move up

And then deciding whether or not to recontract the likes of Witherden, Trew, Burgiel and Baker. Assumes Rotham, Jones and Edwards are cut whilst Livingstone, Culley and Rawlinson are retained

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love the idea of bringing in blight. He is what we need a key defender who is 22 from wa and in 3 games has showed promise. 12 touches with 7 spoils along with 2 intercept marks ( room for improvement). There is a lot of potential and I see him if he joins an important piece. He is also only on a 6 month contract. So we could offer him a 3 or 2 year deal to come over and give tigers maybe pick 59.

I think with Waterman it was more being able to play in a position where his pwrformances could make more of a difference rather than run up and down the dead wing acting as a decoy.

I still don't know why we don't occasionally choose to change direction down the other side when 32 players are down one wing. (With 2 involved in the kick in after a point and 1 from each team on the dead wing pretending they'll be involved in the play)
And for years I was wondering why Gov and Barrass were in the pocket for an outlet uncontested mark. They are 2 of the strongest marks in a contest but we chose to kick to a contest without the Marks brothers.

Fair enough, I think Smith would be a few kilos lighter than 73kg although it is not easy to find weights of players after some genius banned publishing weights ( presumably because women are sensitive about being fat shamed).
Excuse the intrusion 3.8.2022 (2 years ago)
Rover
Jagga Smith

(Victoria Metro/Oakleigh Chargers/Kew Rovers/Scotch College)
Date of Birth: 28/01/06; Height 179cm; Weight 62kg thinking he would have added 8/9kgs since he finished school last year and concentrated on his football. So most likely 70/71kg he is now 182cm going by the interview he did on 360

Excuse the intrusion 3.8.2022 (2 years ago)
Rover
Jagga Smith

(Victoria Metro/Oakleigh Chargers/Kew Rovers/Scotch College)
Date of Birth: 28/01/06; Height 179cm; Weight 62kg thinking he would have added 8/9kgs since he finished school last year and concentrated on his football. So most likely 70/71kg he is now 182cm going by the interview he did on 360

He's 182cm in boots and 73kg's on a very slim frame.

Trade out :

Trade in :
Graham as a FA
Baker for our F2
Peatling for Hawthorn F2

Leaves us with five picks (3,13,23,40,64) to take to the draft but no R2 pick for 2025. We’d need to delist 6 players to use all those picks, 7 if we wanted to also use pick 3 in the rookie draft

Out -
Ryan’s name keeps popping up. Think it’s unlikely but if he asks to be traded and we can get a pick in the 20’s or an early to mid F2 then it’s worth considering

Petruccelle might be of interest to Richmond given their outs and if we were able to get one of their R3 picks (currently 39,41,47) or an F3 I’d take it

In -
Garcia or Sheldrick would be my next preference if we miss Peatling. Maybe one of them in addition to Peatling but I’m not quite sure what we’d have trade wise.

Robertson is an alternative backup plan to the above who we might be able to get cheap with something like a swap of F3 picks with Brisbane

Parfitt, like Graham, is a free hit as a FA and at 26 is just young enough to be in the age group we are short in. If we don’t succeed in getting more than one of Peatling, Sheldrick, Garcia or Robertson then he could be handy depth on a 2 year contract

Blight has yet to sign a new contract with Richmond. At 23 years old he’d be handy KPD depth if he wants to come home to WA. Maybe we could do a straight swap for Petruccelle or Burgiel

Once trade period is over and picks are set after what shapes as one of the busiest trade weeks ever, we can look at the benefits of splitting picks or combining picks to move up

And then deciding whether or not to recontract the likes of Witherden, Trew, Burgiel and Baker. Assumes Rotham, Jones and Edwards are cut whilst Livingstone, Culley and Rawlinson are retained
I think Petch would also be of interest to a very slow Carlton midfield and he might be better off in a different system.

From what I’m told Hawks offered R1 and F2 and WCE said they’d rather the F2 be a player or the Pies 2R this year as to not delay development by a year. 12 and 30 I’d be ok with.

I like Parfitt and Graham but on 2 year deals on relatively good money with a trigger for a 3rd. Not happy at all with the proposed 4 years for Graham.

Someone mentioned Blight for Culley, I think that’s fair. I also think Richmond are going to ask for Maric as part of a Baker deal, so he can go straight to Cockburn with Shai.

Peatling, Sheldrick and Garcia would all be good additions for the right price (although I still think Garcia has signed) and Dev would need to be free of charge.

Last edited:

Trade out :

Trade in :
Graham as a FA
Baker for our F2
Peatling for Hawthorn F2

Out -

In -

Nailed it imo.

Personally would go 3 minimum of the (Gracia, Peatling, Graham, Parfitt, Dev, Sheldrick) players. Need to restock the depth in their asap.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back