List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course they helped.

Don’t forget Simmo did get us to the 2015 GF and Mitchell wasn’t at the club. He came in and got the skill level up and implemented a game plan that no one was really doing.

New coach should bring new standards and new game plan and that will help a lot. Along with drafting the best young talent in the land and recruiting players that fit a need. Those players are out there just need the list manager to identify them and get them to want to come. Money shouldn’t be an issue with our cap situation.

Hawks missed out on a lot of their targets last year as it wasn’t seen a destination club. 12 months on now they have 2 and maybe a 3 one on the hook. 2 of them only cost salary cap.

No-one would say any 1 person was the sole (or even main) reason we won... it is way too complex for that. Same as the blame for the position we have been in for the last few yesrs.

Just pointing out that supposedly Burns had a big part in the "web" tactics and Mitchell proved our midfield.

Think there's a fair chance they still make a play for him (though not sure they have much cap space)

Rory Lobb can't be their permanent answer down back. But also...Bevo so who knows
TBF to Lobb, he's been excellent down back.
Was one of their best last night.

There's no reason why he can't stay back.

Y'know, I think people might want to wrap their noodle around the idea that Barrass stays and is in West Coast colours next year. Could very well be Hawk's don't have the collateral to satisfy the deal for us and it fizzes out.

We could be going into this draft as a rebuilding club with picks 3, 23 and 59 (Before FA compo and bids).

Let that bad boy sink in.

If the Barrass trade dies. The Waterman trade is dead, Ryan trade doesn't happen, Darling trade doesn't happen.... Not sure what levers there are to pull.

Would certainly make burning our pick 41 on the Clay hall trade a bit more annoying. Might've been useful to bundle up.

Last edited:
Tell me more about Derksen
197cm (roughly 95kg) KPF/KPD. WA lad, played for Peel
He can find a reasonable amount of the pill too with 20 possie games at VFL level not uncommon.

He's pretty athletic for his size and has good hands too.

Not been given a crack at the top level yet due to GWS depth....I'd like us to go after him, maybe our next Hunter

* I know the comment was tongue in cheek but there you go ;)

Last edited:
Y'know, I think people might want to wrap their noodle around the idea that Barrass stays and is in Erat Coast colours next year. Could very well be Hawk's don't have the collateral to satisfy the deal for us and it fizzes out.

We could be going into this draft as a rebuilding club with picks 3, 23 and 59 (Before FA compo and bids).

Let that bad boy sink in.

If the Barrass trade dies. The Waterman trade is dead, Ryan trade doesn't happen, Darling trade doesn't happen.... Not sure what levers there are to pull.

Would certainly make burning our pick 41 on the Clay hall trade a bit more annoying. Might've been useful to bundle up.
Tad glass half empty approach there tho.
Sounds like Hawks will satisfy us regardless of where they finish this year with something on top of their R1, Darling will more than likely go for what a late 3rd rounder?
Even if all went pear shaped as you said, if Clarke and co aren't aggressive in getting more picks in they may as well pack up and leave.
From the snippets Phil etc are giving us we are going to be aggressive and need to be so we don't get dicked when Tassie come in like we did ala Gold Coast draft 2010.

Real shame they don’t have their 1R. To revisit the trade, WBD traded pick 10, 17 and 11/12 for 4, 46 and 51 from the Suns. Yuk.
They'll get at least one first rounder back for Bailey Smith

What hurts even more is 3/4 of this board wanted Worpel at his pick, of course ROB and his team went for Ainsworth and the rest is jistory.

Martin, Humphries, Worpel, Kelly (should have been taken first time rather than traded for), Richards instead of Brander - We were very lucky to still get Allen.

It goes on and on
Without doubt it is poor recruiting that has been the major contributing factor to the Eagles current predicament. Their list management and recruitment has lacked imagination - if they want to improve I would suggest they study the way Geelong identify skills and footy IQ as the priorities as opposed to metrics like how fast someone can run 2km, then back their system in to develop the player to be the best they can be 🙂

Without doubt it is poor recruiting that has been the major contributing factor to the Eagles current predicament. Their list management and recruitment has lacked imagination - if they want to improve I would suggest they study the way Geelong identify skills and footy IQ as the priorities as opposed to metrics like how fast someone can run 2km, then back their system in to develop the player to be the best they can be 🙂
Hurts to say but you're 100% right mate.

Been more than a few of us on this board who have been screaming for years to draft pure footballers before athletes. (That's why it hurts even more)

I was looking at some of our old board phantom drafts a few weeks ago and most of us probably would have done better the ROB.

They will but at best it’s pick 15. Huge difference between pick 11/12 and pick 15 in this draft IMO. Travaglia/Lindsay/Berry vs the tall forwards.
Perhaps so but Hawthorn's pick is now, at best, pick 13.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bayley smith trade will be cats R1 surely?

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
You’d think that plus 2R minimum but who knows, it’s the Cats and he’s out of contract. Dogs could offer Cats 1R (15-18) plus their F1 for Barrass but doubt they would. I think Keys suggestion that Hawks figure out a way to get a top 10 pick is the way to go.

But how much is recruitment vs lack of development?

Impossible to ever answer but it's probably somewhere in between

Lets be insane for a moment

What would a club give us for our future 1st rounder? Is it too out of the question to say Richmond give us say pick 9,39 and Baker for our Future 1st + 23

If we say Bakers value is a pick 15 then points wise it would be 1900 points back for us which is like pick 5

Provided we finished bottom 5 which Richmond would bank on they would be okay to not stack all the picks in one draft and pick next year while turning Baker into the kind of asset they want him to be draft pick wise

You’d think that plus 2R minimum but who knows, it’s the Cats and he’s out of contract. Dogs could offer Cats 1R (15-18) plus their F1 for Barrass but doubt they would. I think Keys suggestion that Hawks figure out a way to get a top 10 pick is the way to go.
And here the Suns will be sitting on 6 which is not 100% for Rioli

If Suns offer Tigers the Dogs R1 of pick 12 and the Norf pp pick 20, Tigers likely accept it. They then have their own pick 6, the Lukosius pick (more likely to be a F1) and sufficient points on their own to get Lombard.

So arrange for Keys to go to the fence at Waverley and tell Mitchell to just get pick 6 and we are done

What would a club give us for our future 1st rounder? Is it too out of the question to say Richmond give us say pick 9,39 and Baker for our Future 1st + 23

If we say Bakers value is a pick 15 then points wise it would be 1900 points back for us which is like pick 5

Provided we finished bottom 5 which Richmond would bank on they would be okay to not stack all the picks in one draft and pick next year while turning Baker into the kind of asset they want him to be draft pick wise
I don't see Richmond giving up pick 9 without getting pick 3 back, nor do I see us giving up a likely top 3 pick for pick 9 + Baker. If the Tigers were to move any of their picks back, I would expect it to be a pick in the teens to a club not likely to need a first round pick next year.

Worth exploring

Keeping it simple, it could just be 9 and Baker for our F1

We go in with 3 9 Hawks R1 23 and whatever sweetener we get from Hawks

Think there's a fair chance they still make a play for him (though not sure they have much cap space)

Rory Lobb can't be their permanent answer down back. But also...Bevo so who knows
Lobb has gone really well down back. Probably better than anywhere else on the field he's played, they'd be silly giving up 1st round draft picks for barrass

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Try get pick 5 with 9 and 39 and see how you go, points are shit.

That is insane. For us. If we trade our F1 we need to value it properly which for me is pick 2. So F1 for 6 and 11/12 from GCS or F1 for 9 and 10 from Freo I’d do. Losing our 3R This year when we had Freijah, Roberts etc still on the board is an example of us not being patient or valuing it properly. There will be some very good players still on the board at 41, and next year we’ll get a lot more for it if we seek to trade it.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back