List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Be quite happy to use up some of our salary cap space to put more money in front of Peatling than anyone else is offering

More of a need for us than Liam Baker is
You’d think starting his career late and already 24, he would be very tempted by $$.

Would be a huge in. No nonsense mid

Monty might help (or hinder) and hope him and Flynn played a bit of VFL together last year might be close

Last edited:

For those better informed than me, how does Champion compare pace wise with Darcy Jones?
Champion is 172 cm and Jones is 175cm and both weigh in the mid 60kg in draft year.
Champion averages 9.7 disposals and has kicked 7 goals in 5 league games with all of those being in 3 games with totals of 3, 2 and 2.
Jones averaged 12 touches with 4 goals in 3 games of league.
They both averaged a huge difference in colts with Champion only averaging 14 touches with 7 goals in 7 games
Jones averaged 25 touches with 6 goals in 6 games.
In the end kind of similar player when you look at league stats and there role.

13 touches and 7 clearances in the last.

Throw everything at Warner. Salary record, chuck some picks in. Warner and Reid would be the most despised midfield pairing in footy. Untouchable.
Harley, Chad + Sid and you’re set for 10+ years. Hopefully throw in a Peatling and Ginbey as the defensive mids as well.

Hewett just for fun.

With Snake and Oscar up forward.

We can dream.

Harley, Chad + Sid and you’re set for 10+ years. Hopefully throw in a Peatling and Ginbey as the defensive mids as well.

Hewett just for fun.

With Snake and Oscar up forward.

We can dream.
how would we get warner. Once our draft is compete I would say this year if we make it big enough. The end of next year if our pick is not top 3 we could trade that plus a future first which could be up to 3 years into the future following the new rule.
Id say for next year 25 first plus 27 first plus a 26 2nd. A bit of a mix so we don't miss out on tooo much draft picks to fill out our team.
The midfield of hopefully Harley, Warner, and hopufully Sid Draper would be elite especially if we work out of ruck problem and draft good unitl next year. The fututre would look bright.

how would we get warner. Once our draft is compete I would say this year if we make it big enough. The end of next year if our pick is not top 3 we could trade that plus a future first which could be up to 3 years into the future following the new rule.
Id say for next year 25 first plus 27 first plus a 26 2nd. A bit of a mix so we don't miss out on tooo much draft picks to fill out our team.
The midfield of hopefully Harley, Warner, and hopufully Sid Draper would be elite especially if we work out of ruck problem and draft good unitl next year. The fututre would look bright.
Yeah, 2025 (Likely top 3) and Hawks 2025 1Rd pick if we get that part of the TB trade depending where that lands.

A lot would come down to what academy players they have coming through. I think I read they are pretty loaded in upcoming drafts.

We'll have three firsts to play with (over the next two years), four if we split pick 3 or can get another first from the Hawks, five if we do both.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could we try to get a couple of other teams F1's?

Barrass(and salary)+23 for Hawks R1+F1+30

B.Williams(and salary)+30 for Melb F1

Darling for Roos 40+F3

Ryan(and salary)+F3(Roos) for Bris F1

Barnett+59+F2 for Crows F1

Jamieson(and salary)+Hawks R1 for Syd 18+19

O.Allen for Roos 2+22+F1+F2

3 for St.K 7+24+F2

19 for Freo S.Darcy, 27

2024: 2, 7, 18, 22, 24, 27, 40 (Graham & Parfitt as FA, S.Darcy traded in)
2025: WC R1, Roos R1, Melb R1, Crows R1, Bris R1, Hawks R1, Roos R2, St.K R2

If we can't get Barrios done with Hawthorn, what could Carlton offer us?

View attachment 2104143
That is one team I reckon that will come for him, especially if the Hawks make the GF and the trade looks hard to do.

TB I think would be friends with Jnr Gov and Cripps. So might choose to make a late change but unlikely.

Salary would be an issue as they are tight apparently. Can make it work with us paying a portion but would be pick 11 and F1 min.

Matt Kennedy looked very annoyed on the bench. Not the first time they have messed around with him as the sub/or subbed him out.

Would we go after him if he was available?
Off field he's a bit of a God botherer
What would he cost? Would be cheaper than Baker I'd expect.

13 touches and 7 clearances in the last.

Throw everything at Warner. Salary record, chuck some picks in. Warner and Reid would be the most despised midfield pairing in footy. Untouchable.
He has been dominating all year, absolute game breaker. Those on here who want to hold all of our draft picks ransom had to wait until round 20 to be able to chip him for having a bad game and have been made to look like fools since.

Any club taking a top 5 pick at the draft can only hope that pick ends up nearly as good as Warner. He’s 23 and would be awesome alongside Harley and co. If we let him slip through our fingers to Freo we have made a horrible mistake.

Maybe a second rounder to start off with (then perhaps swaps elsewhere)?

Is a bit of a Utility type player for Carlton
He'd certainly be best 23 this year. I'm not super confident that he'd be best 23 next year though. He'd certainly be more useful depth than what we have though. Seems like it would be a Baker OR Kennedy type, not both. He'd almost be better going to Richmond, North, Melbourne or the Bulldogs.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back