List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Jon Ralph is stating that our pick 3 in return for Liam Baker and a top 10 pick is on the table. I think this is an awful idea , essentially we would be helping Richmond rebuild faster than we would be helping ourselves by handing them picks 1 and 3 . Having Baker would be nice but not at the cost of missing out on missing out on a Finn O'Sullivan , Sid Draper or Jagga Smith. We split our pick 2 a few years back for Ginbey and Hewett and the Jury is still out on that deal ( could have had Harry Sheezle). Maybe at best give them pick 23 this year or WC apply for an end of first round assistance pick and give them that ? ...... Thoughts ?

Jon Ralph is an idiot.

Who's our gut runner on the wing or inside who can will himself to get behind the ball and help out the backline? The last seriously talented bloke I can think of is Embley. And he was underrated. Redden did a reasonable job but isn't in his league. It's an important role. Maybe Hough.

Jon Ralph is stating that our pick 3 in return for Liam Baker and a top 10 pick is on the table. I think this is an awful idea , essentially we would be helping Richmond rebuild faster than we would be helping ourselves by handing them picks 1 and 3 . Having Baker would be nice but not at the cost of missing out on missing out on a Finn O'Sullivan , Sid Draper or Jagga Smith. We split our pick 2 a few years back for Ginbey and Hewett and the Jury is still out on that deal ( could have had Harry Sheezle). Maybe at best give them pick 23 this year or WC apply for an end of first round assistance pick and give them that ? ...... Thoughts ?
Well, Don said today #3 straight up for Baker was obviously no(as we all know), then went on to say that it 'may' be involved in moves for other trades but so much would need to happed for it to be involved to begin with.

If there is any truth to what Ralph is saying, and Don Pyke on ABC radio seemed to back it up by saying pick 3 would not be traded for Baker on his own thereby implying the kind of deal Ralph is reporting may be on the table, then our recruiters’ judgement is being clouded by the prospect of recruiting a small b grade player who doesn’t fill any positional need but who happens to be interested in joining the club.

We dodged one bullet with Tim English, we may be about to take another one named Liam Baker. I am not saying he will be a poor player but he’s not a gun A grade midfielder either. So to trade a prized top 3 pick for something close to #10 so Liam Baker can be recruited is madness for a team where we are at, and I would say Baker has reached his ceiling so what you see is what you will get. We need a cake, we don’t need top up players.
To have this year’s trading strategy revolve around recruiting Baker is frankly alarming.

One of the main reasons the team is in such a mess is the appalling recruiting of the last decade. If we focus on recruiting Liam Bakers rather than Finn O’Sullivans, or Sid Drapers, or Harvey Langfords, then nothing is going to change. It will get worse because all the Sid Drapers we recruited previously will have retired.

Hopefully someone, perhaps the new coach will put the kaibosch on it. Enlisting Matthew Clark from Richmond is looking worse by the day.

Last edited:
If there is any truth to what Ralph is saying, and Don Pyke on ABC radio seemed to back it up by saying pick 3 would not be traded for Baker on his own thereby implying the kind of deal Ralph is reporting may be on the table, then our recruiters’ judgement is being clouded by the prospect of recruiting a small b grade player who doesn’t fill any positional need but who happens to be interested in joining the club.

We dodged one bullet with Tim English, we may be about to take another one named Liam Baker. I am not saying he will be a poor player but he’s not a gun A grade midfielder either. So to trade a prized top 3 pick for something close to #10 so Liam Baker can be recruited is madness for a team where we are at, and I would say Baker has reached his ceiling so what you see is what you will get. We need a cake, we don’t need top up players.
To have this year’s trading strategy revolve around recruiting Baker is frankly alarming.

One of the main reasons the team is in such a mess is the appalling recruiting of the last decade. If we focus on recruiting Liam Bakers rather than Finn O’Sullivans, or Sid Drapers, or Harvey Langfords, then nothing is going to change. It will get worse because all the Sid Drapers we recruited previously will have retired.

Hopefully someone, perhaps the new coach will put the kaibosch on it. Enlisting Matthew Clark from Richmond is looking worse by the day.
I agree entirely. Baker is good but he won't change the club that much. What we desperately need is elite young mids from the pointy end of the draft (picks 1 to 5) that all have a point of difference. Draper, FOS and Smith all fit that need and with Pick 3 we can get one of those kids , with pick the Hawks first pick brings Lalor and Travaglia into play. If anything we need more picks in the 1st round and surrender nothing that we currently have. If any deal is to be made I would be talking to Adelaide about their pick 4 and their desperate want for Draper. I can't see Richmond or North taking Draper but I can see WC taking him at Pick 3. Pick 3 to Adelaide for their pick 4 and pick 25. We would still have a top 5 pick , and pick up another 2nd rounder . 4, 12, 23 and 25 would be a very good draft hand, and still probably get Smith or FOS at pick 4.

No reason why we can’t have both

Graham is a FA and Brisbane would probably be happy with Robertson off their books so a late pick this year or next likely gets it done

Both would be an improvement to the likes of Trew, Edwards or Culley through the midfield

I do agree on the upgrade aspect, however don't want to do a Carlton/Essendon and bring in 4 of these type players to push for 9-10th for years in a row.

Would want to see them as helping develop an A-grade midfield - in that train of thought would prefer Peatling > Robertson/Carroll > Graham in terms of players who could help take the load off now but also potentially have a higher ceiling than they've shown.

A few of those players might protect the Reid/Pick 3/hopefully Hewett types, more than that may limit time and development. I'd hope we be pretty discerning with cost/benefit in getting 2 or so of these types in, plus maybe someone to play back flank, but still see our upcoming draftees as future upgrades on the Edwards Trew and Culley types.

Would definitely take Graham if nobody else but if we did land Robertson, Peatling, someone else I'd be a lot cooler on him (know it's not a certainly so worth playing with interest at this stage)

So it's Collingwood or bust?
Collingwood don't need another 30 plus year old.

He's been heavily linked to North.
Yeah they just asked Eddie McGuire "Would the Pies look at Darling?"

he was sheepishly like "no idea" but the vibe was "lol u kidding?"

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah they just asked Eddie McGuire "Would the Pies look at Darling?"

he was sheepishly like "no idea" but the vibe was "lol u kidding?"

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

So it's Collingwood or bust?
Collingwood don't need another 30 plus year old.

He's been heavily linked to North.

Don't know how 2 players who are out of contract and no guarantee of getting another one ask for a trade and nominate a club .

Carroll may end up delisted
We have been linked to them so my guess would be down to what we have said to them and guaranteed them and if their current clubs offer them a contract.

Carrol manager would have a fair idea if he will be delisted so might let that play out. Garcia linked to both us and Power so if he is leaving and has an offer in front of him, I would suggest he will either tell them he is or signs

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 2104611

Played every game for them, in every position. Raced to the game from the birth of his kid yesterday.

Subbed after 40 minutes because the game had imploded and Vossy had to get another ruckman on.

You’d be ropable. Probably ends up being nothing but could be an interesting flashpoint.

He is someone you would have to ask about; he would be first choice mid in our side and wouldn’t have to worry about playing full back or ruck in our side.. although with our rucks anything is possible

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I enjoyed Jay Clark saying on radio yesterday that we will likely now want and deserve 2 first for Barass given the hawks pick is getting worse, although we'd have to send something back. Jay seems to have reasonable intel from us as well. We need more of the Vic media on our side.

As opposed to that **** Tigers nuffie Ralph. If the tables were turned and it was Baker wanting to get to the Tigers he'd be sprouting that the Tigers can just walk him to the PSD etc.

I enjoyed Jay Clark saying on radio yesterday that we will likely now want and deserve 2 first for Barass given the hawks pick is getting worse, although we'd have to send something back. Jay seems to have reasonable intel from us as well. We need more of the Vic media on our side.

As opposed to that **** Tigers nuffie Ralph. If the tables were turned and it was Baker wanting to get to the Tigers he'd be sprouting that the Tigers can just walk him to the PSD etc.
When talks of Barrass' trade started, we were saying that 10 and a 2nd would be good/fair value.

Now that 10 is 14 at minimum, which could potentially drop back to 16/17 from bid matches and compo picks. Future 1st is a must add now. Hawks are offering TB big money for 4, potentially 5 years. Make them pay up.

I’m in the Draper camp and he is
Perfect for what we need but maybe the recruiters aint. If they value the top 6 on the same level, you can see why they would do

3 for Baker and 6 (can’t move down to 9 or 10)

If the Crows trade out of 4, Sid still might be there.

2 of these will be there and maybe 3 of North go tall. Most on this thread have these ranked in different order so our scouts probably do to.
FOS (Richmond)
Trainor (Roos)
Jagga (Richmond)
Sid (Crows)
Smillie (Melbourne)
Lalor
Reid
Langford

It'd be handy for us to land a couple of extra 4th rounders (ideally 3rd) in this year's draft via trades so we don't burn into next year's picks.

-Pick59 plus another 4th rounder gives us a bid around mid 30's to match for malakia.
  • WA's best full back should be available in the 40's
  • dev/knobel trade will cost a 3rd/4th Round pick

Culley, Darling and Petrucelle are prob the 3 players we can afford to lose that might have some value, in particular darling. Getting pick 40 out of North would be a very good thing for the club. If darling was on 100k next year I'd be more than happy to let him finish his career in our wafl side and play a handful of games to reach 300, but at 800k? for next year (I think) we need to treat it like a business decision

I’m in the Draper camp and he is
Perfect for what we need but maybe the recruiters aint. If they value the top 6 on the same level, you can see why they would do

3 for Baker and 6 (can’t move down to 9 or 10)

If the Crows trade out of 4, Sid still might be there.

2 of these will be there and maybe 3 of North go tall. Most on this thread have these ranked in different order so our scouts probably do to.
FOS (Richmond)
Trainor (Roos)
Jagga (Richmond)
Sid (Crows)
Smillie (Melbourne)
Lalor
Reid
Langford

The difficulty to trade into a top 3 pick is harder than trading for a decent b grader like Baker.

So the premium needs to be placed on our top 3 pick, not on the player included.

3 down to 6 would usually be worth what, pick 12-16 at worst? And Bakers absolute top valuation is in that range (that would be contracted).

So, and I’m not advocating we do it, if it was 3 for Baker and 6 I would also expect something around 25-30 as a sweetener to us, due to the high pick value (and the relatively high value placed on Baker in the trade without that)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The difficulty to trade into a top 3 pick is harder than trading for a decent b grader like Baker.

So the premium needs to be placed on our top 3 pick, not on the player included.

3 down to 6 would usually be worth what, pick 12-16 at worst? And Bakers absolute top valuation is in that range (that would be contracted).

So, and I’m not advocating we do it, if it was 3 for Baker and 6 I would also expect something around 25-30 as a sweetener to us, due to the high pick value (and the relatively high value placed on Baker in the trade without that)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agreed but not all drafts are the same this top end of the draft is very even. Will come down to how our team and Richmond’s recruiters value it.

Just like pick 1 last year had more value then then the year before

I think Liam Baker is going to be a great addition to the team.

I think Liam Baker is going to be a great addition to the team.
Agreed at the right price, that what seems to be the hard part. Same people that say look at the Richmond board they are happy to get rid of Graham don’t bring up majority want Baker to sign on with them

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back