List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want us to to trade #3 for Baker under any circumstances. It's absolutely sickening.
The early suggestion from the VIC media was to split pick 3, which seemed ridiculous at the time.
I'd say offer our 2nd pick, take it or leave it.
Richmond should have no leverage. He's uncontracted and if Freo want him, just let him go there. The problem is we might be reasonably desperate to get him.
This idea of Baker of wanting his former employers to get the best deal for him is nonsensical. How many players are actually concerned about that.

Last edited:
Can't believe we are actually going to trade down pick three to unlock a baker trade. Madness
I would rather use hawks 1st in a trade then trade down from 3 .

TBH i don't think we should be using more than pick 23 but our club sees things differently.

Its going to be another year of getting bent over at the trade table .

We have been linked to them so my guess would be down to what we have said to them and guaranteed them and if their current clubs offer them a contract.

Carrol manager would have a fair idea if he will be delisted so might let that play out. Garcia linked to both us and Power so if he is leaving and has an offer in front of him, I would suggest he will either tell them he is or signs
Garcia i understand . He would be out if their i recon . Bevo refused to play him regularly because he is looking elsewhere even though he was the best performer in the vfl .

I would rather garcia than Baker TBH . Way better value for money , taller and younger .

I would rather use hawks 1st in a trade then trade down from 3 .

TBH i don't think we should be using more than pick 23 but our club sees things differently.

Its going to be another year of getting bent over at the trade table .

How many trade periods have Pyke and Clarke been leading the Eagles list moves?

Clarke, who has been consistantly bidding early on academy and father son bids. Even drafted a Lions academy kid..

If we have so much money to meet the salary floor of 95% throw some big front ended contract at peatling and cumming

Get Brett Montgomery for the coach in the short term and see how he goes

Other clubs like Port essendon and Carlton throw stupid coin to get players
Why can't we ?

How many trade periods have Pyke and Clarke been leading the Eagles list moves?

Clarke, who has been consistantly bidding early on academy and father son bids. Even drafted a Lions academy kid..
That's not the same thing .

I'm talking about standing firm in a trade and letting it get down until the final hours without blinking .

We always seem to get our trades done early because we overpay

Unfortunately I think the club may be fixated on the idea of getting Baker and still holding on to 2 first round draft picks.
I remember how proud we were to have 4 picks in the top 30 in 2022...
Yep and 1 hasn't been able to get on the park and 2 look like busts 🤪

We try to be too cute sometimes instead of just picking the obvious choice

Who's our gut runner on the wing or inside who can will himself to get behind the ball and help out the backline? The last seriously talented bloke I can think of is Embley. And he was underrated. Redden did a reasonable job but isn't in his league. It's an important role. Maybe Hough.

Johnson. Needs three years development but has shown he has the tools and courage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dev with 34D and 11 clearances in the VFL. He's played 2 AFL games all year, with the last being in round 3.

Meanwhile Lions are about to add Levi Ashcroft (Academy's - Listen to Brizkents podcast if you'd like to learn about them) kicking him even further down the pecking order.

He was supposedly "stuck behind Jarrod Lyons" and that's why he couldn't lock down an AFL gig, only Lyons is also stuck playing VFL with him, so there you go.

Still another year left on his contract but we'd be absolutely mad not trying to get him in.
Also about to add Sam Marshall via academy, who's flying under the Ashcroft radar at the moment. Looks a future star, but another mid/flanker/utility who'll possibly end up ahead of Dev.
He should come to us

Yep and 1 hasn't been able to get on the park and 2 look like busts 🤪

We try to be too cute sometimes instead of just picking the obvious choice

Who was the obvious choice?

The Vic Metro mummies boys who were telling everyone they didnt want to leave Melbourne?

And writing off Ginbey and Hewett as busts? Not going off too soon?

Yeah but who is he replacing?

Any number of potatoes in there, starting with Trew.

Then you've got Kelly, who can FRO as far as I'm concerned from the midfield and settle his shit kicking ass onto a forward flank where he should've been all along.

Our 2nd CBD rotation is non existent. After Yeo, Kelly, Reid there is nothing. We've been forced to use that spoon Duggan in there as a defensive mid, so he can also piss off back into defense and there's the clear Dev role right there.

Then there's the Ryan/Brockman/Cripps lever we randomly pull at times.

I'd be bringing in Dev + Whatever top pick mid we draft (Draper, Langford) and add them to the rotation next season, whilst phasing out the above for a start.

Also about to add Sam Marshall via academy, who's flying under the Ashcroft radar at the moment. Looks a future star, but another mid/flanker/utility who'll possibly end up ahead of Dev.
He should come to us
I don't want to give up anything of trade value or a long contract to Dev.

Thank God he didn't take that 4 year deal .
He has 1 year left add another to get him over and give brissy a F4 to get him off their books

Unfortunately I think the club may be fixated on the idea of getting Baker and still holding on to 2 first round draft picks.
I remember how proud we were to have 4 picks in the top 30 in 2022...
And they made a mess of the picks anyway. Two of the four looking like busts and a big doubt over a third (Hewett) due to injury. Some things never change.

Offer a second round pick for Baker and be done with it.

It'd be handy for us to land a couple of extra 4th rounders (ideally 3rd) in this year's draft via trades so we don't burn into next year's picks.

-Pick59 plus another 4th rounder gives us a bid around mid 30's to match for malakia.
  • WA's best full back should be available in the 40's
  • dev/knobel trade will cost a 3rd/4th Round pick

Culley, Darling and Petrucelle are prob the 3 players we can afford to lose that might have some value, in particular darling. Getting pick 40 out of North would be a very good thing for the club. If darling was on 100k next year I'd be more than happy to let him finish his career in our wafl side and play a handful of games to reach 300, but at 800k? for next year (I think) we need to treat it like a business decision
I agree getting in those 3rd round and 4th round picks would be very useful.
My trades for the offseason:

Jack Darling for 40 from North.
Petch for 47 from Richmond
Barnett for Pick 42 from Adelaide.
Barras and future 2nd for Picks 14 (Could change even more probs will), F1, and 30.
We could even trade 3 down to Adelaide on draft night if they are desperate for Sid Draper which I would if it to happen it would look like 3 for 4 and 25 but I would prefer for us to pick Sid but that is just an option to generate more picks.
That in the end leaves us with picks:
3 Sid Draper
14 Tobie Travaglia
23 Alix Taura
30 Noah Mraz
40 Hamish Davis (must get him)
42 Kale Gerynn
47 and 59 suck up in Champion bid.
Probably rookie draft a good state ruck to fill the void of our bad rucks

Who was the obvious choice?

The Vic Metro mummies boys who were telling everyone they didnt want to leave Melbourne?

And writing off Ginbey and Hewett as busts? Not going off too soon?
Johnson over chesser for 1 .

Ginbey and Hewett are fine .

Brander WTF were we thinking

Venables?

So many left field first round picks that went against the grain and group consensus.

Venables?

So many left field first round picks that went against the grain and group consensus.

The classic one everyone forgets, and granted he is a good player (and hindsight helps with what Waterman did this year) is we were trying to trade up to get Cadman rather than down to get Ginbey/Hewett.

We only did the split pick after it was obvious GWS were getting ahead of us and taking Cadman.

For all of the teeth gnashing around here about Ginbey being a HB rather than mid, and Hewett struggling to get on the park, imagine if we had yet another KPF on our list

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Venables?

We were discussing pick splits werent we? Being cute and gaining / using 4 picks inside the top 30.

And Brander and Venable are history. No other club gets a pick 13 wrong or loses a player to concussion early in their career? DGB at pick 6 looks like a complete flop for example. What top 10 picks have we burnt?

We need to draft/trade to cover our immediate needs.
As it stands we need to get the best available midfielder at 3 and trade
the Barass pick to get a top defender, either Curtin or Busslinger.
We could also do with a good tagger.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back