List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand why we would trade Darling for a junk pick and pay his salary. We're going to be struggling to hit the 95% minimum payment against the cap as is. Gaff is gone and clears $1M, TB is gone and clears $600-800k, who is taking all this money? Waterman's contract is getting bumped but who else?

Why not keep him? Darling is handy forwardline depth, as without him our KPF depth is J Williams or A Reid.

The only reason I see him being traded is if we did bring in a big name player on big money (which I am sceptical about) or to be good to him and help him play two more years.

He is on 800k next year. Its probably not good list management to have 800k player as depth if it can be avoided. Move that money into front loading someone like Oscar next year so we dont have to pay him as much when Harley is out of contract.

I'm guessing its a lesson we learnt the hard way with Gaff this year, but nobody would have taken him at the end of last year.

I don't understand why we would trade Darling for a junk pick and pay his salary. We're going to be struggling to hit the 95% minimum payment against the cap as is. Gaff is gone and clears $1M, TB is gone and clears $600-800k, who is taking all this money? Waterman's contract is getting bumped but who else?

Why not keep him? Darling is handy forwardline depth, as without him our KPF depth is J Williams or A Reid.

The only reason I see him being traded is if we did bring in a big name player on big money (which I am sceptical about) or to be good to him and help him play two more years.

Think that is the answer right there

If it is around the pick 40 then it's not really a junk pick this year. Could get us gerreyn, Ough, or any number of quite highly rated youngsters
I agree tho we'll have to get creative to meet the salary minimum but Phil might land us a big fish!!

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

He is on 800k next year. Its probably not good list management to have 800k player as depth if it can be avoided. Move that money into front loading someone like Oscar next year so we dont have to pay him as much when Harley is out of contract.

I'm guessing its a lesson we learnt the hard way with Gaff this year, but nobody would have taken him at the end of last year.
Do you think most of our guys aren't already front loaded? Can't think of a single reason why we wouldn't already be in a good spot like that.
Best case all we would be doing is moving a few hundred k from 2027 to 2025 or something, marginal

Do you think most of our guys aren't already front loaded? Can't think of a single reason why we wouldn't already be in a good spot like that.
Best case all we would be doing is moving a few hundred k from 2027 to 2025 or something, marginal

I agree but surely we can find something better than paying someone 800k to play WAFL.

Last edited:
I agree but surely we can find something better than paying someone 800k to play WAFL.
Darling has shown that he's still an A+ player when in the wafl, we can do worse than sitting him there to help develop archer while nursing him to 300 games.

If he ensures the WAFL team is competitive every week then I dont mind it

What’s the knock on Woodcock?

Very good second tier league player, but not quite AFL standard.

Three areas for me:

Speed.
A lot of his kicks have a high trajectory on them which slows down ball movement as well as inviting defensive spoils.
Two way running.

Just my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are either paying part of darlings salary and getting a useful pick .

Or not paying his salary and getting nothing .

We aren't paying his salary and getting nothing . Play him in the wafl if that is the case

Agree 100%. :thumbsu:

With where we're at I'd much rather have A Reid and J Will playing than Darling :thumbsu:

Both these posts, probably sum up the situation well.

GWS pick Cooper Hynes (not Nick Haynes compo!) with Perryman band 2 compo. Assuming no other compo the next three picks go 23- Richmond, 24- North then 25- WCE. I expect Dodson, Oliver, Sims and O’Farrell to be in the discussion for those picks. Maybe also a bolter like Davis, Dattoli or Hannaford.

You’re probably right about Travaglia, Saints are very keen on him but I think it will be him or Lindsay, can’t see Carlton passing on Berry.
Hahaha, yes sorry. Don't mind me I'm absolutely knackered and obviously not reading it correctly.

What I would give to find a Mcgluggage type in this draft

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

FOS is probably the closest type. Good chance he’s there are 3. Just feels a risk now given his production this year and injuries.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back