List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
The way to do it is front end one year and then the remaining years are on par with other players of a similar level. The front loaded 1st year is basically a sign on bonus for moving.

Everyone understands what is going on and why. Then in future years players of similar levels are getting similar ongoing annual salaries
Yes but we can also do the same with Waterman/Allen as opposed to just doing it for anyone I suppose.

One giant issue is in the next 3 years, not one single player exists thats worth getting in free agency. Hell same pattern even exists in non free agents to. So many players on longer team deals nowadays. Alot of players want to tie themselves in longer term with the concussion issues in the league

Apart from 2 nuclear offers for Reid and Chad Warner I dont get where the money goes in the next 3 years.

Paul Haselby (there’s my disclaimer) reporting Meek was put off signing with us because of Nic Nats contract extension above.

Article on interweb.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
No excuse for missing out on Jordan Sweet though other then complete and utter incompetence if you ask me.

I have 10x the issue with that one then I do missing out on Meek.

To secure Tobie would it take much to move from 13 to 10 or 11? And will that ensure Tobie? What's the cost
If Saints get band 1 I’m expecting them to take best mid available and Travaglia so we may need to get higher than that. Alternatively we tell Hawthorn we want a pick before then for the Barrass trade. Going 13 to 10 would probably cost our F2.

If Armstrong, Shanahan and Trainor go early and it leaves 2 of the top mids for Saints then they may take both, Reid and Smillie for example leaving Tobie on the board.

Last edited:

Peatling would have to have a worse manager than robertson to stay at gws. Bigger crowds- job security and a better wage are all at other clubs that have shown interest in him.

4 year deal. Wage based on KPI's or triggers if we are worried about him being complacent. Defensive mid that balances Harley and yeos defence flaws and frees up tk to pinch hit. Win win

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fos a real stinker of a quarter. Nowhere seen. Fails to evade a tackler, failed to bounce the ball on the run and gave a fifty

Jagga keeps tracking along well. Setting up goals.

No excuse for missing out on Jordan Sweet though other then complete and utter incompetence if you ask me.

I have 10x the issue with that one then I do missing out on Meek.

South Australian elected to go to a South Australian side in finals contention where he could battle Soldo for the number 1 spot, rather than move to West Australia to play for a rebuilding side and battle Williams for the number 1 spot.

Pure incompetence.

I cannot see anyone other than Jagga being called out first.
I reckon richmond get pick 2 off north, they pick an inside bull and an outside mid with the first two picks. North get trainor and best available fwd with the other richmond pick.

Pick 1 Rich - Jagga
Pick 2 Rich - Smillie or Langford

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back