List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean...I suppose it's expected as North love picking sub 190cm with their first picks BUT it would also be expected as misinformation as they're wanting to split and stress test the Crows. (And beat us out)
I don't see the crows going after Draper at 2. To move up from 4 to 2 would likely cost them a second rounder. Might need to trade out someone?

Crows need to
Trade
Lukosious F1st but are they going to give that up or keep it for that other SA kid dominating?
Neal-bullen 2nd rounder

FS bid
Tyler Welsh second rounder

There draft hand

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't see the crows going after Draper at 2. To move up from 4 to 2 would likely cost them a second rounder. Might need to trade out someone?

Crows need to
Trade
Lukosious F1st but are they going to give that up or keep it for that other SA kid dominating?
Neal-bullen 2nd rounder

FS bid
Tyler Welsh second rounder

There draft hand

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Suns could ask for pick 4 with 20 going back for NBN. If it was 12 then they may ask for a future pick as well.

Gives Suns picks 4 & 6, with 12 for Rioli

Okay I've downgrades my want to FOS.

If it was between Lalor and FOS I'd take Lalor without second looking. Lalor has higher ceiling then FOS and has better forward craft.

It seems to be the ranking for me would be

1. Draper

High ceiling players:
Lalor/FOS

Low risk player:
Jagga/Langford

So if we want a high ceiling player it's between Lalor and fos. I'd pick Lalor. If we wanted low risk then I'm either jagga or langford

I reckon richmond get pick 2 off north, they pick an inside bull and an outside mid with the first two picks. North get trainor and best available fwd with the other richmond pick.

Pick 1 Rich - Jagga
Pick 2 Rich - Smillie or Langford
Not convinced North will go for Trainor, unless they plan on moving Comben forward.

For likely they go for Smillie, since the Will Phillips experiment seems to have failed and they need a much bigger body in there than they currently have.

South Australian elected to go to a South Australian side in finals contention where he could battle Soldo for the number 1 spot, rather than move to West Australia to play for a rebuilding side and battle Williams for the number 1 spot.

Pure incompetence.
Yes. He went to a team offering him 2nd choice ruck over us who could have offered him the first choice role, much more money and a much bigger role

If we can’t win out in this type of position we in for a long ass rebuild

Yes. He went to a team offering him 2nd choice ruck over us who could have offered him the first choice role, much more money and a much bigger role

Sometimes, the girl you want just doesn't want you back.

As was the case with Sweet 2 times.

GWV into the GF vs Sandringham by 4 points. For Oakleigh Jagga with another 32 touches will surely go pick 1. FOS 20 possessions, 2 goals and 8 i50s. Great hands with the ball and in the air but still looks a gallop short with match awareness and pace.

for the Rebels Jack Ough 21 touches and would be a perfect pick if we can get pick 40 for Darling and salary. Still fuming we traded our 3R, could have had Freijah and probably Ough as big bodied goal kicking wingman. Jonty Faull fantastic hands and a good kick with 5 goals hopefully pushing into top 12 calculations.

I mean...I suppose it's expected as North love picking sub 190cm with their first picks BUT it would also be expected as misinformation as they're wanting to split and stress test the Crows. (And beat us out)

Source: Trust me bro.

My updated preferences:
1. Draper
2. Lalor / Jagga
3. Langford
4. Fos

My only issue with langford was according to some post his past game he played he couldn't match the tempo in coats talent league....

There is a role for Jagga as an accumulator and linker even if his frame renders his contested work to dust. He can still be useful with uncontested ball.

But there is no role Langford if he struggles with pace of AFL.

In saying that it all comes down to which is more likely-
1. Jagga frame causing him to be a liability in the middle
2. Langford pace causing him to be a liability in the middle

Where’s Championlate 3rd round at best. He's inconsistent

Surely we'd take more picks than that? Hopefully we can get 1 or 2 more picks before champion is bid on

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app
No way we take champion with a direct bid... we still have pick 23 and there's a dozen guys we'd take before champion. Hynes, Gerrin, Dodson etc.... Wouldn't be surprised to see Taj Hotton slip to 23.
Surely we'd take more picks than that? Hopefully we can get 1 or 2 more picks before champion is bid on

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

You’ve got no idea what either club offered him in terms of money or role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’ve got no idea what either club offered him in terms of money or role

We know he wasnt offered 1st choice ruck role…

We know we had a greater need and more money to spend. We should have figured it out.

I mean people here think we should target Warner and think Sweet is too big a target for us to get ? I don’t think that makes much sense

We know he wasnt offered 1st choice ruck role…

We know we had a greater need and more money to spend. We should have figured it out.

I mean people here think we should target Warner and think Sweet is too big a target for us to get ? I don’t think that makes much sense

We don’t actually know that. We don’t know whether he was offered the exact same deal as Flynn but elected to go home to Port instead. That’s a plausible scenario, one of a number of them. Or we targeted both him and Flynn. Or we preferred Flynn. Unless someone here has some inside knowledge (and neither of us do), everyone’s just guessing.

And no one’s said Sweet was too big a target. Where are you getting that from?

How do we have 3 if we're trading it for an uncontracted utility player?

We're in a tough spot, since 3 will be required to secure Baker, but we'll also be desperate to hang onto it to make sure we can secure local talent Allen.

Richmond aren't without their own dilemmas, of course; they're probably going to be faced with the unenviable choice between selecting Jagga, FOS, Langford and Lalor, or selecting FOS, Jagga, Smilie, Lalor and Travaglia.

Last edited:
We're in a tough spot, since 3 will be required to secure Baker, but we'll also be desperate to hang onto it to make sure we can secure local talent Allen.

Richmond aren't without their own dilemmas, of course; they're probably going to be faced with the unenviable choice between selecting Jagga, FOS, Langford and Lalor, or selecting FOS, Jagga, Smilie, Lalor and Travaglia.
No it won't, he an uncontracted player, we can walk him to the preseason draft...take a future 2nd rounder or lose him for nothing. WC are not giving up pick 3 unless 2 first rounders come back and one of the in the top 10. WC hold all the aces here.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back