List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonder if we've asked the question about Jai Serong at the Hawks as part of deal with Hawks. Seems very highly rated by Hawks supports but struggled to get a game this year and will be even further back once Barass and Battle come in. Could possibly be convinced over with likely gametime and being with his brother in WA.

I was on the Baker train earlier, would definitely help our team whichever area of the ground he plays in but I just think this draft needs to be a real win for us so I don't want to lose any draft capitol in the first 2 rounds which won't be enough for Richmond
I'm also not sure how realistic the PSD threat is in this situation.
I want us to keep pick 3 and take draper,Lalor or Langford. Really hope we don't split it unless 4 is coming back(5 with the ashcroft bid I guess)

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was on the Baker train earlier, would definitely help our team whichever area of the ground he plays in but I just think this draft needs to be a real win for us so I don't want to lose any draft capitol in the first 2 rounds which won't be enough for Richmond
I'm also not sure how realistic the PSD threat is in this situation.
I want us to keep pick 3 and take draper,Lalor or Langford. Really hope we don't split it unless 4 is coming back(5 with the ashcroft bid I guess)

I'm keen on Baker, but only for our 3rd pick 23 which prob rounds up to around 30 on draft night. At 30 you're in speculative areas and I feel we can prob use one pic at least this year on a mature age recruit

Probably been discussed 783 times already but I wonder what Liam Reedy's contract situation is. Dominating the WAFL is one thing but he's monstering guys week in week out.
Surely Freo are looking to cash out Darcy (although it might be too late to get any positive value for him).

Seems ridiculous to have that much money tied up in your 2 starting rucks with a 3rd competent one dominating the state league.

Now we know the Hawks position pick wise at 14 and 32?

And future picks come into play. 14 gets a nice kid but it doesnt give us a great shot at a quality sliding mid or TT. Hawks2024 32 lands amongst a group of tall defenders.

Is the Hawks future 1st potentially a better 1st?

Assuming the deal came down to chosing between this 24 draft or the 2025 Hawks 1st rounder.

Depending on other trades and pick swaps I dont mind riding those odds.

And future picks come into play. 14 gets a nice kid but it doesnt give us a great shot at a quality sliding mid or TT. Hawks2024 32 lands amongst a group of tall defenders.

Assuming the deal came down to chosing between this 24 draft or the 2025 Hawks 1st rounder.

I don't know anything about next year's draft but we really need to use that 1st this year.
Travaglia, Berry or Lindsay could still be on the board at that pick

I think it's 13 and 30

Hawks have pick 13...and we need to go all in on this 1st round. WC will ask for this and next years 1st to Barrass , won't get it unless we give them a couple ofv2nd rounders back. Give North Darling and pay 1/2 his salary for their pick 22. Give that and next years 2nd for the Hawks 13 and next years 1st.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks have pick 13...and we need to go all in on this 1st round. WC will ask for this and next years 1st to Barrass , won't get it unless we give them a couple ofv2nd rounders back. Give North Darling and pay 1/2 his salary for their pick 22. Give that and next years 2nd for the Hawks 13 and next years 1st.

What!!

22 is potentially 3 spots lower than Hawks F1st. If they win the flag there first is pick 18.

And north aren't giving 22 for darling no matter how much we pay. They might give 40, and I'm keeping that for a late slider this draft.

If Hawks want darling 13 and F1 is it. Nada mas. Basta.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

If Hawks want darling 13 and F1 is it. Nada mas. Basta.
Where do I sign?

The Barrass deal will unequivocally include pick 13, the question is what else. Most likely options would seem:

HAW F1 with our F2 going back
One of Ward, Serong, Reeves or Hustwaite
Pick 30
F2

I’d love Cam MacKenzie or to send back our F3 for their F1, but that would be the most impressive bit of trading our club has done since the GCS fleecing.

Where do I sign?

The Barrass deal will unequivocally include pick 13, the question is what else. Most likely options would seem:

HAW F1 with our F2 going back
One of Ward, Serong, Reeves or Hustwaite
Pick 30
F2

I’d love Cam MacKenzie or to send back our F3 for their F1, but that would be the most impressive bit of trading our club has done since the GCS fleecing.
Would you send our F2 back for Cam MacKenzie? ie. 13 + MacKenzie for Barrass + F2.

Barrass + 2RD pick for Hawks 1st + F1 is surely the play

basically just a formality at this point
Why.

Hawks F1 could be 18.
Our F2 could be 19

So Barrass for 13 is the deal basically! **** that.

Why do people on here insist that something has go back as part of the deal.

They want him, come pay up.

Why.

Hawks F1 could be 18.
Our F2 could be 19

Their future first could also be 9 and our future second 22.

Why.

Hawks F1 could be 18.
Our F2 could be 19

I can understand the negative reaction, but I just think this is the most likely result

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back