List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
None of those 3 would answer the phone if we rang

Not worth a discussion

Not bringing Sweet in (either willingly or against his will) is pure and utter incompetence, but making enquiries of players who’ve been told to look elsewhere isn’t worth trying?

Seems logical.

If we couldn’t bring in Sweet, we got zero chance on any of these is what I’m saying.

Won’t be able to get anyone, based on that logic.

May as well just fold.

Perryman still wouldn’t join us on 6 year 6 mill if we are being fair dinkum

None of those 3 I’d be offering enormous contracts too which is all we got to offer at this point so can’t see any of them even looking at us sideways

F94835F3-9B35-453B-A5A6-7C123BA1D854.jpeg

Costs nothing to ask if a player might be interested in coming to the club

If they happen to say they are, then look at how/where they’d fit in and what they’d cost in a trade.

And make a contract offer based on what we feel the player is worth to us

If he accepts then great, if he doesn’t then move on

Seeing some of the players other clubs are offloading makes me think of that old Tuna add: It's what John West rejects that makes John West the best'. Other clubs are getting rid of far better players than we are retaining, and have done for about 3 years. Speaks to the quality or lack thereof of our list. Also that we are nowhere near ruthless enough.

Well, I was really impressed with this bit.

“Sources told 7NEWS he had impressed the panel with his focus on development, modern game plan principles and player connection.”

Skipworth sounds much better than those coaches that go by the philosophy of “if you’ve got it, you’ve got it; old school all the way; and **** off, I am your coach not your shrink”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, I was really impressed with this bit.

“Sources told 7NEWS he had impressed the panel with his focus on development, modern game plan principles and player connection.”

Skipworth sounds much better than those coaches that go by the philosophy of “if you’ve got it, you’ve got it; old school all the way; and **** off, I am your coach not your shrink”.
He had me at “modern game plan” to be honest

Seeing some of the players other clubs are offloading makes me think of that old Tuna add: It's what John West rejects that makes John West the best'. Other clubs are getting rid of far better players than we are retaining, and have done for about 3 years. Speaks to the quality or lack thereof of our list. Also that we are nowhere near ruthless enough.
The flipside of that is being able to pick up players that could improve our list quite cheaply. Hawthorn did quite well with Ginnivan, Chol and D'Ambrosio this year. I look forward to seeing what we can do with our hand.

Toa you've hit the nail on the head regarding retaining players who wouldn't have got games at other clubs.
The people responsible for recruiting and list management decisions over the last 3 yrs should be sacked if they are still at the club. Too many managers at the club and no one takes responsibility.

Perryman still wouldn’t join us on 6 year 6 mill if we are being fair dinkum

None of those 3 I’d be offering enormous contracts too which is all we got to offer at this point so can’t see any of them even looking at us sideways
Think port is the team that is after perryman on that big contract.

They have the cunning plan of trading Huston for as much as they can get and replace with perryman for no draft capital.

Not a bad move and why they would offer the overs

Last edited:
Am I the only one who doesn't want anything to do with Matt Kennedy?

Kennedy is a list clogger of the highest degree. Fold the club if we go there.

I'd rather Sheed taking midfield minutes than this plodder, and I want Sheed leading the huddles at WAFL games. Kennedy is missing games through injury as much as Sheed too it seems.

Not only are his career stats in general worse than Sheed's, Kennedy is not one spoken about for his leadership or capacity to mentor younger players on the track. At least Sheed is spoken really highly of by his teammates about his footy brain and mentorship. I understand the free agent with leadership appeal in Graham, but Kennedy would cost draft picks and bring nothing of the sort.

What can Kennedy do that we wouldn't get from younger kids on our list with some potential for improvement? I know a lot of people here have written off Culley since his ACL but surely even these folks would see more potential to improve than someone like Kennedy. Give me the fourth rounder with some potential to develop instead of this potato.

Are people seriously writing off Hewett already??? 😂😂😂
Can't speak for everyone, but i think most love Hewett, but there's now genuine concern over health ever allowing him to make it as an AFL Footballer.

Here's hoping his feet issues are resolved, and they aren't made of balsa wood as feared.

Am I the only one who doesn't want anything to do with Matt Kennedy?

Kennedy is a list clogger of the highest degree. Fold the club if we go there.

I'd rather Sheed taking midfield minutes than this plodder, and I want Sheed leading the huddles at WAFL games. Kennedy is missing games through injury as much as Sheed too it seems.

Not only are his career stats in general worse than Sheed's, Kennedy is not one spoken about for his leadership or capacity to mentor younger players on the track. At least Sheed is spoken really highly of by his teammates about his footy brain and mentorship. I understand the free agent with leadership appeal in Graham, but Kennedy would cost draft picks and bring nothing of the sort.

What can Kennedy do that we wouldn't get from younger kids on our list with some potential for improvement? I know a lot of people here have written off Culley since his ACL but surely even these folks would see more potential to improve than someone like Kennedy. Give me the fourth rounder with some potential to develop instead of this potato.
Ultimately he's a delisted/player told to look elsewhere, so he's not perfect.

Having said that, he's played every game this year so injures not an issue.

Also, he has a toughness and defensive side that we are lacking. His career stats may be worse than Sheed, but that's because his versatility means he gets hunted around everywhere.

Would be better than Graham or Baker, but it's a moot point, he's not going to come West.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back