List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Baker is not good enough to still be umming and ahhhhhinh about where to go. Seasons been over for weeks mate, pick a team.

Yeah it’s a bit tiring.

Fair enough we haven’t got a coach so he’s hesitant on nominating us - but then just pick Freo then?
It's actually a bit of a worry that he's not nominated Freo. Makes it more likely he wants us. Just waiting for coaching decisions.

Gee, if the Richmond board is to be believed they're going to end up with a draft hand like a startup club.

Pick 1 and 21 already.
Pick 6 and 12 for Rioli.
Pick 3 and 23/F2 for Baker.
Picks 9 and 16 for Bolton.

Picks 1, 3, 6, 9, 12, 16, 21, 23 etc.

Personally I think they're delusional on every one of those. But when you're dealing with GCS anything is possible.

God, how annoying are those articles with someone "urging" the club to split the first pick. Will Schofield is 'urging' the club to split to bring in more talent

The delistings announced today come as no surprise and more should be expected largely depending on our success or otherwise in attracting trade/FA targets

Wish JD all the best. Underrated and overly criticised for much of his career he gets to eke out another year or two at North. Makes sense for all involved

Would prefer 58 to 64 but at that stage of the draft it’s splitting hairs

We as a fanbase in general historically over-criticise some players. It seems like some bandwagoning.

Sumich missing some goals when on the whole he was very good for us.

A more recent example was (before this year) the harping on Jake Waterman. Anyone who watched at the game would have seen his hard running for a number of years on the decoy wing where we mostly refused to use him - preferring to play safe down the other wing.

You couldn't see his running on tv, so it wasn't happening.

Darling dropped some marks at unfortunate times, but that doesn't totally counter all the good stuff - you don't kick 500+ goals and be the crab that some seem to think.

Could pick other players - R.Jones for example - where fellow players know their value.

Anyway... rant over.

Youse know I “come in peace” etc. I’ve been here before and get the sense this board really likes me.

With that in mind I’m after a real analysis of what darling will do for North, as you’d know best.

FYI I was hoping for this last year if you remember. But a lot on the north board are up in arms. Im not really sure why, I guess it boils down to the fact that they don’t see him as best 22.

Personally I’m wrapt. Clearly you have 2 gun KPF’s in Allen and waterman. Then a couple of young ones that should start to cement themselves in the team.

North have the 1 gun key forward in larkey and then have played pink and teakle up forward. Teakle has been ok, somewhat surprisingly. But Pink just isn’t up to it.

So, what can we expect from JD over the next 2 years?

I guess what I’m hoping for is that his presence gets us another couple of wins due to a better functioning forward line. Is this possible?

Please and thank you

That particular account has fooled plenty of people multiple times. I'm surprised it's still allowed to operate. Then again, it is Twitter.
id assume most people have it blocked by now. The couple of reports it gets from salty fans who got baited wouldnt go far in trying to get an account banned

It's actually a bit of a worry that he's not nominated Freo. Makes it more likely he wants us. Just waiting for coaching decisions.

Gee, if the Richmond board is to be believed they're going to end up with a draft hand like a startup club.

Pick 1 and 21 already.
Pick 6 and 12 for Rioli.

Personally I think they're delusional on every one of those. But when you're dealing with GCS anything is possible.
The Bolton one they might be ballpark, the rest is just fantasy.

Some of them genuinely think paying Riolis contract will buy then pick 6 lmao its not like hes on a 1.5mil on 5+ year or anything lol

Youse know I “come in peace” etc. I’ve been here before and get the sense this board really likes me.

With that in mind I’m after a real analysis of what darling will do for North, as you’d know best.

FYI I was hoping for this last year if you remember. But a lot on the north board are up in arms. Im not really sure why, I guess it boils down to the fact that they don’t see him as best 22.

Personally I’m wrapt. Clearly you have 2 gun KPF’s in Allen and waterman. Then a couple of young ones that should start to cement themselves in the team.

North have the 1 gun key forward in larkey and then have played pink and teakle up forward. Teakle has been ok, somewhat surprisingly. But Pink just isn’t up to it.

I guess what I’m hoping for is that his presence gets us another couple of wins due to a better functioning forward line. Is this possible?

Please and thank you

-Defensively Darling is still good
-Will still attract a good defender, so will take some heat off Larkey
-Has been durable and a good trainer
-Knows where to lead/block to free up his partner (think Kennedy/Allen/Waterman)
-Likely contribute 20+ goals a season
-Will help set standards for the young forwards to match

Most importantly though
He isn't Pink or Teakle

Could be your Drew Petrie, who still has a role at the Eagles and is loved by the players.

This Darling stuff has really escalated.

Weird way to end a weird career with the club. 300 games and 500 goals but routinely criticised and derided by fans and the media. One of his most significant games include not getting near it for a half and a dropped marked that would have sealed the flag.

That GF was interesting in that Darling & Cox were very quiet in the 1st half then suddenly exploded in the 2nd half.

Last edited:

Please and thank you

He'll run hard. He's lost his agility and any jump. For some reason he prefers to concede front position and try and shift his opponent under the ball (not very successfully mostly). He'll train hard, present in excellent nick and probably not get injured. He's happy to share the ball around when he gets it if there's a better option on.

Please and thank you
All good visiting - I remember you and you are genuine

Jack is durable and will present well for the next 2 years

He has lost some of his leap so you won’t get as many pack marks as say 3 years ago

As a sidekick to Larkin, he will do well and probably get you 30 goals a year

He will straighten you up and command a decent defender man him up

He is also useful taking forward ruck knocks

He is also a pretty good set shot

Your club are the antithesis of us. You can’t draft talls and we have traditionally ignored our midfield. So maybe we set up an arrangement of an annual swap programme!

Please and thank you
He moves like a brick shithouse, but he’s still great defensively, will draw a defender away from the other forwards and will run in patterns to open space up in the forward line. Durable player too so should help set training standards (just don’t ask him about vaccinations).

Pick 1 and 21 already.
Pick 6 and 12 for Rioli.

Don't forget Brisbane's pick. Richmond can trade a bunch of junk for it as Brisbane only need points this year. From our perspective though, pick 3 isn't going without one or both of 6 and 9 coming back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those bemoaning Jack was so close to 300 games, just remember he stood out from football because of the anti vac stance. Otherwise we would have celebrated 300 much earlier

He was good for round 1 as he got the jab in time, but missed because of injury from memory

So all up it was 1 game missed, up to you if you want to make the case his lack of pre season caused that injury

Please and thank you
Hes been the #3 or 4 target for us this year, with a very weak midfield kicking it in f50. Hes always going to find it hard to kick goals in that situation, he plays as a tall not a small so our structure just didnt work for him.
He copped a lot of shit for realistically being played out of position in a poor team.

He is still very good to elite for tackling/pressure inside 50. He doesnt lose many marking 1 on 1s, despite not winning them either.

I presume your club will want to draft a KPF, and then have Darling hold the fort for a couple of years with Larkey + Teakle/whoever(ruck/fwd) until your young KPF is actually ready. This makes sense and idk why your fellow supporters cant see this, a 18 year old KPF generally cant do much in their couple of years of footy.

Instead of having Pink or Teakle as an important part of your fwd structure who arent natural KPFs, you get a guy who knows how to play a FF or CHF role and knows how to be the #2. Should improve forward structure straight away.

I dont think you guys want Zurhaar to be forced to play as a pseudo tall either, Darling frees him up too to play whats more natural or even allow Zurhaar to have stints onball. I know you guys probably lack a big body mid with aggression

I guess we will begrudgingly accept pick 58 for JD. Pick 64 would be a joke.
Perhaps ask for both for the hell of it.
I personally don't hate having him in the team as much as others do.
The hope is that with him gone, it will accelerate the development of Jack Williams & Archer Reid.

The Bolton one they might be ballpark, the rest is just fantasy.

Some of them genuinely think paying Riolis contract will buy then pick 6 lmao its not like hes on a 1.5mil on 5+ year or anything lol

The Richmond fans, Richmond supporting journos are living in hope.

The rest of the journos are seemingly going by GC love of overpaying / throwing picks around like confetti, and/or assuming that a club just has to over/under pay based on the picks they have.

Bit like Port Power going... "you have to take this crappy pick for Rioli because that's all we've got."

Last edited:

Please and thank you

COVID 2.0 coming along is your biggest risk.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Please and thank you
Not a lot of scoreboard impact but he should would help alot in the defensive side and take pressure off larkey. He will be non competitive if he isn’t fit but like Simmo said this week, he hardly lost a contest this year (didn’t win a heap tho) but neutralised most of them. Think his slow down and being undersized he would be more suitable if he was the third tall tho

Clayton Oliver is the surprise trade that Phil has possibly hinted at

• A-grade player has called in wanting to play with Harley. Sounds like an Oliver thing to do
  • wants out of Dee's. Petracca bigmad, wants him gone by the time he returns from Austria
  • won't cost high picks, just have to take on his salary for the dees, good thing we freed up cash with Darling going
  • Better than Dev, Carrol, Garcia et etc so fills a need
  • wants skin cancer from the Perth summers, don't know why

Happy to share my roll of tinfoil

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back