List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget Brisbane's pick. Richmond can trade a bunch of junk for it as Brisbane only need points this year. From our perspective though, pick 3 isn't going without one or both of 6 and 9 coming back.

If they get 2x top 10 picks for Rioli and Bolton (totality, not each), then I think they may start looking at or wanting future picks for Baker.

In some ways a little overpaying for the other 2 might help us (ignoring the split pick possibility… but I think Nth may do that anyway as they need a young KPF and splitting will still get them best in the draft plus another pick).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Looking forward to Darling vs Hedwards next year.
I know Gov did a new number on Larkey this year but I feel like Hedwards will be given the number one tall. Gov v Darling will be quite interesting tho as Darling has a habit of being owned by the likes or Allir and other big interceptors but he would have a lot of insight on Gov after playing together

Clayton Oliver is the surprise trade that Phil has possibly hinted at

• A-grade player has called in wanting to play with Harley. Sounds like an Oliver thing to do
  • wants out of Dee's. Petracca bigmad, wants him gone by the time he returns from Austria
  • won't cost high picks, just have to take on his salary for the dees, good thing we freed up cash with Darling going
  • Better than Dev, Carrol, Garcia et etc so fills a need
  • wants skin cancer from the Perth summers, don't know why

Happy to share my roll of tinfoil
I like it, if the club thinks Clarry is past his crap or we can provide him a good enough environment for him to deal with it then **** yeah I dont see why we shouldnt pursue it.
Not often an A-grader is up for grabs like that, especially when it could cost very little.

Thatd be an awesome left-field one to acquire imo, our inside mid would be 100% sorted for the next few years

• A-grade player has called in wanting to play with Harley. Sounds like an Oliver thing to do
  • wants out of Dee's. Petracca bigmad, wants him gone by the time he returns from Austria
  • won't cost high picks, just have to take on his salary for the dees, good thing we freed up cash with Darling going

If we bring Oliver in that might be the straw that breaks the camels back for me. He is the last thing this club needs.

Unfit, off the rails, and lazy.

Being in the Perth footy fishbowl will do him no favours either. He’s a Jesse Hogan type, needs to restart his career at an out of market team where he doesn’t get recognised everywhere he goes and doesn’t end up on the back page every time he breathes.

Why would luko be worth pick 4? He is nowhere near being talked as an all Australian to be worth that much.

He has been in system 5-6 years, its performance time.
Ppl still remember his write ups from knightmare. He's going to be the best player ever.

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lets bring in Oliver guys

Live Dangerously Austin Powers GIF

For those bemoaning Jack was so close to 300 games, just remember he stood out from football because of the anti vac stance. Otherwise we would have celebrated 300 much earlier

Actually the reason for his absence was Dr's orders. He was diagnosed as suffering from a workplace injury and as a result was on sick leave. We don't know the details because per his wishes, those were kept private.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like it, if the club thinks Clarry is past his crap or we can provide him a good enough environment for him to deal with it then **** yeah I dont see why we shouldnt pursue it.
Not often an A-grader is up for grabs like that, especially when it could cost very little.

Thatd be an awesome left-field one to acquire imo, our inside mid would be 100% sorted for the next few years

Hard no for me on the flopper.

Youse know I “come in peace” etc. I’ve been here before and get the sense this board really likes me.

With that in mind I’m after a real analysis of what darling will do for North, as you’d know best.

FYI I was hoping for this last year if you remember. But a lot on the north board are up in arms. Im not really sure why, I guess it boils down to the fact that they don’t see him as best 22.

Personally I’m wrapt. Clearly you have 2 gun KPF’s in Allen and waterman. Then a couple of young ones that should start to cement themselves in the team.

North have the 1 gun key forward in larkey and then have played pink and teakle up forward. Teakle has been ok, somewhat surprisingly. But Pink just isn’t up to it.

So, what can we expect from JD over the next 2 years?

I guess what I’m hoping for is that his presence gets us another couple of wins due to a better functioning forward line. Is this possible?

Please and thank you
Someone wrote the perfect take on Jack Darling earlier to another North poster, so probably just easier to quote them and let it speak for itself.

Has been said but by far his best remaining strength is halving contests. Sounds like a bad thing (shouldn’t forwards be winning them?) but so much of our ball movement plan over recent years has been dump it long to the wing to a 2v1, and Darling will somehow manufacture a stoppage from it more often than not. Very clever at tap ons, timely spoils, stuff you don’t want as your ace from your KPFs but it’s how he’s remained viable.

Work rate can’t be questioned. Regular impact can however. He’ll be in the right spots and you can see his old man body chasing and working, but some games he just doesn’t get anywhere near it with any regularity. As shown this year though, he still has these bizarre quarters and games where you think he’s 10 years younger and he drags you into periods of momentum.

As a work horse to guide a young forward line, and to halve some contests when you’re panic exiting D50, he’ll be an asset. As a match winner or scoreboard impact, he’ll make you tear your hair out with the quarter by quarter rollercoaster experience, and more often than not with where we’re both at you’d simply rather someone younger get the minutes. But if Clarko’s MO is get some experience in to set standards - can’t fault it at all.

For the Eagles, if we got a meaningful pick back (eg 40s not pick 75 or some nonsense) it would be a no brainer and a bit of a win for all parties. If that’s too rich for North, I’d prefer he just ring up game 300 here or test the market elsewhere to see if someone will give up a third rounder for him. But he’s about to be fourth/fifth in line for the only position our list has in absolute spades, so it all makes too much sense if the deal is there to be done.

Wow Trew has shown more then Culley. With Trew out who will be our defensive mid (on the bench)?

Lets hope we aren't assuming Graham. Fingers cross Dev. I guess hutchingson but he has a sample size of 1

I'm going to lose alot of patience if we have culley trekking around stuck in mud as out defensive mid
Has there ever in the history of the earth been someone called Hutchingson

LMAO how tf are so many of them wishing we kept JJ of all players he'd have been top of the list to be delisted
Idiots. This is how we got into the mess keeping Simpson an extra year.
Carlton, who aren't even a particularly good team, are moving on Kennedy, Jack Martin and Owies who are all AFL quality players, and these noobs are up in arms about delisting - checks notes - Jordan 'Turnover' Jones

Riley Garcia offered 2 years by the Dogs and has interested from Eagles, Power, Saints and North. Sure it’s us if he doesn’t care about staying in Melbourne or not. If he wants opportunity, we would be able to give him the most.

Noddy staying at the Dockers

Surely he doesn't pick North (a) it's Norf (b) they're well on their way to having a stacked midfield so not sure he'll have a place in 12months
Port doesn't make sense. If he leaves Vic surely he'd just come home & he'd be at least 6th in line

So I reckon it'll be down to staying at Dogs, Saints and us.

I'm running with Darcy Jones or Starcevich

Hes been the #3 or 4 target for us this year, with a very weak midfield kicking it in f50. Hes always going to find it hard to kick goals in that situation, he plays as a tall not a small so our structure just didnt work for him.
He copped a lot of shit for realistically being played out of position in a poor team.

He is still very good to elite for tackling/pressure inside 50. He doesnt lose many marking 1 on 1s, despite not winning them either.

I presume your club will want to draft a KPF, and then have Darling hold the fort for a couple of years with Larkey + Teakle/whoever(ruck/fwd) until your young KPF is actually ready. This makes sense and idk why your fellow supporters cant see this, a 18 year old KPF generally cant do much in their couple of years of footy.

Instead of having Pink or Teakle as an important part of your fwd structure who arent natural KPFs, you get a guy who knows how to play a FF or CHF role and knows how to be the #2. Should improve forward structure straight away.

I dont think you guys want Zurhaar to be forced to play as a pseudo tall either, Darling frees him up too to play whats more natural or even allow Zurhaar to have stints onball. I know you guys probably lack a big body mid with aggression

The point you make about having a genuine forward playing forward is what I’m hoping means his output is more team beneficial than teakle and pink.

We were much better in the second half of the year with those two playing just for structure if nothing else. If JD can raise that bar it can only be good for the team.

As for north actually drafting a young key position forward……… well there’s enough of them in this draft. But we also need a quick, creative talented pressure forward and what did we do when presented with that last draft? We overlooked Watson for Dursma. So who knows.

Youse know I “come in peace” etc. I’ve been here before and get the sense this board really likes me.

With that in mind I’m after a real analysis of what darling will do for North, as you’d know best.

FYI I was hoping for this last year if you remember. But a lot on the north board are up in arms. Im not really sure why, I guess it boils down to the fact that they don’t see him as best 22.

Personally I’m wrapt. Clearly you have 2 gun KPF’s in Allen and waterman. Then a couple of young ones that should start to cement themselves in the team.

North have the 1 gun key forward in larkey and then have played pink and teakle up forward. Teakle has been ok, somewhat surprisingly. But Pink just isn’t up to it.

So, what can we expect from JD over the next 2 years?

I guess what I’m hoping for is that his presence gets us another couple of wins due to a better functioning forward line. Is this possible?

Please and thank you

Others have summed up better than I will but do want to add - for a player with a bit of a reputation for brainfarts and the vaccine stance it's sometimes underrated how unselfish he's been throughout his career as a key forward. Kicked 53 in his second season with Kennedy injured for most of the year but aside from that has rarely been the main man, usually foiling for JK then Allen and this year Waterman.

Really really good at leading patterns that keep space for the main F50 target, throws in lots of dummy leads to space and is a good enough goalkicker that defenders can't just leave him. Not a big ego about him whatsoever, has made those around him better - and while Teakle/Pink don't seem to have egos at all either and am sure would be happy playing that role they're probably still working their own games out at AFL level - Darling would do all this like clockwork.

Would be good for letting Larkey really settle as a premier key forward (I rate him really highly) and probably good for the development of those around him who'd want to slip into that 2nd or 3rd tall role when you start to really challenge.

Lots of intangibles though, am sure there'd be some frustration at his individual output at times.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back