List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
AFL will make it so it’s rd2. H Reid against a team that didn’t want him and j darling, against a team that didn’t want him and playing with ldu, wishing current team didn’t want him.

Marketers dream right there.

Nekminnit - Darling managed. Out for a week. Didn’t want to travel, too old.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Has there ever in the history of the earth been someone called Hutchingson

Better check notes again
Jermaine is his name

And so it begins… I’ve seen it a couple of times already so am going early that ‘Draiper’ will be the ‘Curtain’ and ‘Hewitt’ of this years trade period. God save us all

Completely missed the fact Darling edged ahead of Suma for goals kicked.

2nd for games played and 2nd for goals kicked. All-Australian and Premiership player.

Club legend.
Not to mention did it playing a secondary role for Kennedy. People vastly underrate his workrate and defence as well, he and Kennedy were manic in there with their tackling and pressure.

So far this year i have heard we should delist Darling, Sheed, Jamieson a year before their contract runs out.
Clubs have to make 3 list changes per year. So you sometimes need to offer a player a year contract to be the sacrificial lamb the following year. I also doubt we delist players unless we have viable replacements either good picks or trades. I expect If Rotham being a UFA is picked up by another club than Witherden may survive depending on how many spots we need to use in the draft.
Don’t see how we’re keeping uncontracted blokes for a year to be sacrificial lambs, particularly in this draft.l when there will be so many good 1 year rookie options available.

Next year Cripps, Sheed and Jamo surely go. Petch, Chesser and possibly Gov (his call) might go. Culley, Rawlinson and Burgiel would need a good year to stay on if they get the opportunity. Hunt, Cole and Bazzo aren’t safe and if Brockman has another year like this one he might be given the ZLangdon treatment.

I've got absolutely zero issue with Darlings Vax stance, it's entirely his choice ffs.

People who still do need to grow up.

As long as we can marry our cousins who cares now, covid was so 4 years ago. Bring on monkey pox baby.

Going more off Twomey's phantom, something like this appears to be where things are at:

#1 RICH - Smith
#2 BRIS - Match bid for Ashcroft
#3 NM - Langford
#4 WCE - Draper
#5 ADE - FOS
#6 MELB - M. Reid
#7 GC - Smillie
#8 STK - Lalor
#9 ESS - Tauru
#10 FREO - Allan
#11 COLL - Armstrong
#12 CARL - Travaglia
#13 WB - Trainor
#14 GC - Match bid on Lombard
#15 WC - Berry? Hotton? Lindsay? Hynes? Dodson?

Personally really hoping someone like Travaglia gets through but thanks to stupid Hawthorn and their stupid run their pick is likely to see us selecting from the next bracket of players. Honestly don't know who to take in that range! Berry would make sense but we will be adding Champion later in the draft, too. Lindsay a safe bet. Hynes for x-factor... If this is how it pans out, it will be very intriguing to see who we go with.
I'd be surprised to see North take another mid / mid forward. They need talls and defenders and that seems more likely. I think they will split their pick 2 and move down to target the likes of Trainor and Travaglia

Darling has always been one of our more underrated players

Bloke played 298 games and kicked 515 goals, that's hall of fame stuff

Eagles Hall of Famer, not AFL.

Nevertheless has been a fantastic contributor to the WCE and had the added bonus of triggering plenty of Freo fans.

Plus his ability to recover from fatal injuries on a footy field within minutes, was/is a medical miracle.

Maybe he was worried that the Vac would take away this power, you know like, Samson's hair?

Idiots. This is how we got into the mess keeping Simpson an extra year.
Carlton, who aren't even a particularly good team, are moving on Kennedy, Jack Martin and Owies who are all AFL quality players, and these noobs are up in arms about delisting - checks notes - Jordan 'Turnover' Jones
JJones.jpg

That was a weird time. Glad he took a stance.

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

But he didn’t tho, he sooked it up gave the club nothing, blamed the club, and then ended up getting it, it was all very confusing, like I had no problem with him not getting it but don’t make a big song and dance about it for weeks and then end up getting it, least Liam Jones took an actual stand and sat out for the year.

But he didn’t tho, he sooked it up gave the club nothing, blamed the club, and then ended up getting it, it was all very confusing, like I had no problem with him not getting it but don’t make a big song and dance about it for weeks and then end up getting it, least Liam Jones took an actual stand and sat out for the year.
He did what he could under the circumstances, I think it was addressed by posters above.

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interestingly Cooper Stephen’s who Geelong took with one of our Tim Kelly draft picks and who was then traded to hawthorn has been delisted after playing 7 games for Geelong and none for the hawks

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Its nearly like you are a very low chance of drafting high quality mids at the picks we gave for kelly

Eagles Hall of Famer, not AFL.

Nevertheless has been a fantastic contributor to the WCE and had the added bonus of triggering plenty of Freo fans.

Plus his ability to recover from fatal injuries on a footy field within minutes, was/is a medical miracle.

Maybe he was worried that the Vac would take away this power, you know like, Samson's hair?
300 games plus and over 500 goals.

Based on other inductees, he's walking into the AFL Hall of Fame.

Don’t see how we’re keeping uncontracted blokes for a year to be sacrificial lambs, particularly in this draft.l when there will be so many good 1 year rookie options available.

Next year Cripps, Sheed and Jamo surely go. Petch, Chesser and possibly Gov (his call) might go. Culley, Rawlinson and Burgiel would need a good year to stay on if they get the opportunity. Hunt, Cole and Bazzo aren’t safe and if Brockman has another year like this one he might be given the ZLangdon treatment.
At the moment we have 3,23,59 plus maybe two picks for Barrass 13 and? plus 64 for darling (hopefully 40).
that is six picks with one being used for Baker. and a spot for Graham as a ufa if he decides to come.
At the moment we have delisted Jones and Gaff retired. Barrass and Darling requesting a trade which makes four spots available.

Currently we have four players on our main list who are uncontracted. If we don't get Baker and Graham or any other ufa thru the door i can see one of these four maybe getting a one year extension.
  • Josh Rotham (25/2/98) - Signed a 3 year extension (2022-24) in September 2021
  • Luke Edwards (12/1/02) - Signed a 2 year extension (2023-24) on an existing contract due to expire 2022 in December 2021
  • Coby Burgiel (9/9/04) - Automatic 2 year contract (2023-24) when drafted in November 2022
  • (R) Jai Culley (24/2/03) - Signed a 1 year extension (2024) in October 2023
  • Alex Witherden (10/9/98) - Signed a 1 year extension (2024) in October 2023

At the moment we have 3,23,59 plus maybe two picks for Barrass 13 and? plus 64 for darling (hopefully 40).
that is six picks with one being used for Baker. and a spot for Graham as a ufa if he decides to come.
At the moment we have delisted Jones and Gaff retired. Barrass and Darling requesting a trade which makes four spots available.

Currently we have four players on our main list who are uncontracted. If we don't get Baker and Graham or any other ufa thru the door i can see one of these four maybe getting a one year extension.
  • Josh Rotham (25/2/98) - Signed a 3 year extension (2022-24) in September 2021
  • Luke Edwards (12/1/02) - Signed a 2 year extension (2023-24) on an existing contract due to expire 2022 in December 2021
  • Coby Burgiel (9/9/04) - Automatic 2 year contract (2023-24) when drafted in November 2022
  • (R) Jai Culley (24/2/03) - Signed a 1 year extension (2024) in October 2023
  • Alex Witherden (10/9/98) - Signed a 1 year extension (2024) in October 2023
Burgiel would be the only one I consider signing for 1 year deal. Send him straight to Qatar or where ever the players go

What about a split of pick 13 down for 3 picks in the 20s/30s?
If we got the Hawks F1 id rather split that but pick 13 could be used.

Going into the draft with 4 picks between 20 and 40(before champion bid) could cover every list hole we have to some extent, and as has been said many times this may be the year to do it.

Get a KPD, ruck, half back and a winger or something, along with Draper/FOS/whoever with pick 3 and Champion. 6 picks for 6 players who all play different roles in a deep draft mightn't be a bad haul
I'm not sold on Champion. He has moments but he lacks any consistency and is way to light framed to cause any forward pressure issues for opponents at AFL level. He won't get that much bigger. I'd rather we use our late pick on Jaxon Artemis.

In no world is bolton worth 9 and 10, wtf are you guys on?
Also I’d want to hope freo have a pick before 13 and pick Allan before we do given his Peel connection. I like him, but very similar to Ruebs and not what we need rn. We need a Tauru/Trainor/Travaglia to get through to phase out spuds like rotham, (replace) TB, Witherden, JJ, Cole too to a lesser extent.
Agreed, he is Ginbey 2.0..... We don't need another one

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back