List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
At the moment we have 3,23,59 plus maybe two picks for Barrass 13 and? plus 64 for darling (hopefully 40).
that is six picks with one being used for Baker. and a spot for Graham as a ufa if he decides to come.
At the moment we have delisted Jones and Gaff retired. Barrass and Darling requesting a trade which makes four spots available.

Currently we have four players on our main list who are uncontracted. If we don't get Baker and Graham or any other ufa thru the door i can see one of these four maybe getting a one year extension.
  • Josh Rotham (25/2/98) - Signed a 3 year extension (2022-24) in September 2021
  • Luke Edwards (12/1/02) - Signed a 2 year extension (2023-24) on an existing contract due to expire 2022 in December 2021
  • Coby Burgiel (9/9/04) - Automatic 2 year contract (2023-24) when drafted in November 2022
  • (R) Jai Culley (24/2/03) - Signed a 1 year extension (2024) in October 2023
  • Alex Witherden (10/9/98) - Signed a 1 year extension (2024) in October 2023
I’d be very happy with a year for WAFL leading goal kicker Burgiel and ok with a 12 month extension for Culley depending on our rookie draft plans.

The rest need to go.

At the moment we have 3,23,59 plus maybe two picks for Barrass 13 and? plus 64 for darling (hopefully 40).
that is six picks with one being used for Baker. and a spot for Graham as a ufa if he decides to come.
At the moment we have delisted Jones and Gaff retired. Barrass and Darling requesting a trade which makes four spots available.

Currently we have four players on our main list who are uncontracted. If we don't get Baker and Graham or any other ufa thru the door i can see one of these four maybe getting a one year extension.
  • Josh Rotham (25/2/98) - Signed a 3 year extension (2022-24) in September 2021
  • Luke Edwards (12/1/02) - Signed a 2 year extension (2023-24) on an existing contract due to expire 2022 in December 2021
  • Coby Burgiel (9/9/04) - Automatic 2 year contract (2023-24) when drafted in November 2022
  • (R) Jai Culley (24/2/03) - Signed a 1 year extension (2024) in October 2023
  • Alex Witherden (10/9/98) - Signed a 1 year extension (2024) in October 2023

I want them all gone, am okay with Culley on a 1 year deal.

But I know a lot of posters think Burgiel is going to come good based off nothing but vibes

I hope he makes it but Culley doesn't really have anything great to make it in today's AFL.

Gets decent numbers in WAFL but it's a huge drop off in pace/pressure

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

at 194 cm he'd make a pretty handy 3rd tall, he's pretty good at applying pressure and laying tackles

agree that he doesn't seem up to a midfield role at AFL level

What I’d love to see this off season. Stay in the draft and don’t waste picks on average players during trade week.

Dockers get Baker and Bolton for 9 & 10 plus sweetners.

Barrass & F2 to Hawks for pick 13 & Hawks F1

Three way deal with Suns and Tigers

Eagles get 6,12, 29 & 39
Tigers Get pick 3
Suns get Rioli, Hawks F1, 23

Darling & F4 to Nth
Nth F3 to Eagles

Take 6,12,13,23,40 & 59

1 Smith (Tigers)
2 Ashcroft (bid) Lions*
3 Draper (Nth)
4 Fos (Tigers)
5 Lalor (Crows)
6 Reid (Dees)
7 Langford (Eagles)
8 Smillie (Saints)
9 Lombard (Suns) Academy*
10 Tauru (ESS)
11 Trainor (Tigers)
12 Armstrong (Tigers)
13 Kako (ESS) Academy*
14 Berry (Blues)
15 Travaglia (Eagles)
16 Allan (Eagles)

29 Gerryn/O’Farrell (Eagles)
39 Barrat/Davis (Eagles)
59 Champion (Eagles)

There are a number of different candidates for pick 29 and 39. Just giving examples above.

I think we will be interested in Langford. He gets criticism for his athletic ability but at AFL level he will be an inside mid that can push fwd and take a good grab. I’ve loved his thirst for the contest and at his size he will be a bull. Big mids will get it done in contested finals.

Contested ball has been a big issue for us for a while now and I see Langford and Allan addressing this issue as they develop. I think both hit the ball harder than anyone in the draft. Allan has speed which Langford hasn’t, Langford finds more of the ball. Both have penetrating kicks.
I would take Lalor over Langford ... 190cm mid/forward bull that can clunk marks, vise like tackles , does damage with ball in hand, and will average 20+ a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Baker is not good enough to still be umming and ahhhhhinh about where to go. Seasons been over for weeks mate, pick a team.
it's just smoke and mirrors.... Richmond have told him to be quite so they can drag it out and try and force a good deal for the tigers. He knows where he wants to go. WC need to call the bluff and just wait.... and not be too fussed if they miss out.

I think Culley has to be put on the senior list.
I would be fine if he stayed on the rookie list but this is an awesome draft and spots on the senior list are at a premium
Had a look into this as did Keys. Little vague but sounds like you can do 3.5 years in the rookie list before being upgraded so 2025 would be his last year as a rookie given we drafted him in 2022.

Surprised there was only 3 delisted tbh

Guess some guys are on contracts etc

Maybe we can trade as many as possible

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

We will be waiting to see who becomes available to join us in trade week and which of the players we currently have offers to join us.
And how many picks we intend to use.

If ( and yes I know highly unlikely ) the following.

Parfett
Peatling
Baker
Graham
Garcia
Carroll

All decide to join us then we will cut deeper with the delistings.

Until then we keep our powder dry.

Culley, Witherden, Burgiel, Rotham, Edwards.

All have a nervous wait, with the reality being that they may not know until AFTER the trade period and the draft.

All we do know is that Gaff, Barrass, Darking, Trew, Baker and Jones won’t be at the Club next year.

Culley for mine should be retained and given a good crack at it. Thought he was tracking really well until the injury.
Seems like he has good work ethic and will do anything and everything to get the best out of himself. Needs some sustained games at AFL level to see if he can actually cut it or not.
Not a quarter as sub and then dropped.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back