List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Oscar Allen and Jake Waterman are set to sign new deals (Code Sports)
    • Allen is due to become a free agent at the end of next season, but is working on a six-year extension
    • Waterman will sign a four year deal, which is "heavily incentives based" and could see him earn up to $1m per year

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
DGB is being delisted...
Just read where Hawks could give up 13, and a future 1st for Barrass and a future 2nd... I'd bloody grab that deal so fast.
Suspect Hawks are waiting to see if they get any offers for, or can use DGB as a sweetener. If hes delisted, is he worth a rookie spot?

My thought is not only should there not be a discount, it should be a 10 or 20% surcharge for the privledge of the club being able to match a bid.
Do you think a surcharge will cause the death of regional and nga academies ? Im sure it would be detrimental to the afl with less kids coming through professional programs as seen with the drop in indigenous players recently . Clubs would have no reason to spend money on academies at all . Maybe the afl could cover the costs of all academies and take away any priority selections besides father son access.

Left field suggestion - Hawks trade 13 + F1 to Freo for 9 + 17, trade 9 to us and keep 17 for themselves. Pick swaps to even things up. We take 3, 9, 23 to the draft.
Very reluctant to give up pick 3 but we do need more picks, so lets think big! This is even more left field...
Our F1, JD, and all of JD's salary for NM 2024 Pick 2.
We take 2, 3, 13, 23 to the draft.
If that works, could then offer GC 3 & 23 for 6 & 12 (same points value) & go to the draft with 2, 6, 12, 13 & 23
If NM deal doesn't work, offer GC our F1 & 23 for 6, 12 we still end up with 3, 6, 12, 13, 🤷‍♂️

If Dev doesn't get selected in the grand final as a player and he isn't slightly annoyed then I dunno about his fire in his belly.

I'd admit I was wrong. Staying for a Grand Final shot was a good idea but the irony is not being selected does make me lol

Do we say being a cheerleader is contribution to lions winning a grand final rofl
An admirable but horrible career choice.

Could have played every game this year and solidified himself as an AFL quality player on a contract worth more money and years. Instead sat around in the 2's and won't be selected for the grand final team.

Even if we were still interested, I can't see us offering what we did last year.

I agree long odds but our LM team haven't pulled one out of the box for years. If

If I was WC List manager, the first thing I'd be doing is locking in the Barrass deal which I expect will be Pick 13 and Denver Grainger-Barras or a future 2nd)
I'd then see if NM were interested in doing Darling and our F1 for their pick 2. Pay as much of JD's salary as it takes. This is not as crazy as it sounds because NM have stated the are looking to add experience plus they could always trade our F1 to get back into this year's first round. If it works we have 2, 3, 13, 23, 59 & 77 to take to the draft. Or we could try trading 3 & 23 for 6 & 12 from GC to have 2, 6, 12, 13, 59, 77.
If the NM offer doesn't work, try our F1 (probably be 1 - 3), 13 (from Hawks) & 23 for GC 6, 12, & 20. Our picks carry more points value than theirs, and if they are looking to bank points for next year it may appeal to them.
All of these things are highly improbable but I just think our LM/recruitment team needs to be proactive and try something out of the box... at least ask the questions.
Darling is a salary dump for us. He has almost no trade value m. What makes you think north would trade pick 2 for a future pick which puts them in a worse position? This is all kinds of new level of nuffie

Darling is a salary dump for us. He has almost no trade value m. What makes you think north would trade pick 2 for a future pick which puts them in a worse position? This is all kinds of new level of nuffie
Firstly, NM have stated they are looking to add experienced players to support the recently acquired young talent.
Secondly, they are getting a player they obviously want, at no cost, with his first year paid, for virtually an even pick swap because we are unlikely to finish above 3rd last again next season.
It also gives them options. With our F1 likely to be between 1 & 3, they have the option of going to the next draft with 2 very early picks, or using their F1, or ours, to trade back into the first round of this year's draft (multiple clubs have multiple picks), or to trade for a quality player or 2.
As I said in my previous post, it's highly improbable that it would happen but if it did NM certainly wouldn't be in a worse position, in fact they'd have more options plus a player they want paid for!
If we don't ask, we'll never know!

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back