List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Oscar Allen and Jake Waterman are set to sign new deals (Code Sports)
    • Allen is due to become a free agent at the end of next season, but is working on a six-year extension
    • Waterman will sign a four year deal, which is "heavily incentives based" and could see him earn up to $1m per year

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Graham only costs you salary as he’s a free agent.

Baker costs you a pick as he’s contracted.

For a team that has very few high end picks, and should have plenty of salary cap over the next few years, Graham makes much more sense.
Baker is out of contract isn’t he? Just not a FA yet, one year short from memory.

The amount of crying over Baker in circles again and again in this thread :skull:

I'm gonna lel at the melts when we bring him in. Anyone would think the bloke would be lucky to even get a game for the Beagles with the shade thrown at him.
You'll be the first to have a cry in a few years if we trade a pick for him and whoever gets taken with it turns into a gun

Allen, Barrass and Waterman all capable of generating first round picks. Given the post I was responding to seemed astounded that Richmond could generate three first round picks, this shows it’s not too difficult. Also Harley Reid.
Not astounded at all. My point is the wooden spooners want first round picks for three of their players. It doesn't say much for the rest of the squad. Bit like us eh ?

when is baker a UFA? surely not that far away.
Pretty sure if he extended with Richmond for 1 year he would be a FA end of next year. That would actually be a great outcome as we could snare him and retain all our picks while they get compo. Given the mass exodus at Tigerland maybe he agrees to stay for a year and steady the ship??

You'll be the first to have a cry in a few years if we trade a pick for him and whoever gets taken with it turns into a gun

I've already said i'd prefer to keep pick 23 bruv :shrug:

Also that i rate Bakers leadership and don't think it's going to be the end of the world if we do pony it up. Nothing is guaranteed with draft picks, even in a deep draft. Look at Barnett, he was unanimously considered a good get for us at that pick and exactly what we need, yet hasn't particularly come on at all in an AFL system.

At least Baker is a known quantity, and it's not bad. Even for the 5-6 years he'd be playing.

It's not like we have a super awesome recent strike rate with second rounders since our flag or anything.

2023 - Reid and Hall (Jury out, Hall cost us 2x second round picks mind you)
2022 - Barnett and Burgiel (Looking more likely both a bust than not a bust)
2021 - Hough and Bazzo (Tick for Hough, bazzo question mark still)
2020 - N/A
2019 - N/A
2018 - Foley, XON, B.Williams, J.Cameron (cross, cross, tick, cross)

Do we need to have this same chat every year?

Dom was considered a much better player at the time and get for us than Cripps, by the length of the Flemington.

Can't be a hindsight hero when 12 other picks went before Cripps in that draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone tell me why the **** we picked Dom sheed over Cripps when Cripps was getting clearances for East Fremantle up there with Greg Williams?

I’d take that left leg in the pocket, a million times over then 2 Brownlow , and I bet Crippa would too.

Still trying to work out how we missed Lachie Neale at pick 58 in 2011 and drafted Murray Newman (23) and Fraser (28) instead

Fold the club. People should be sacked. Jacob Brennan especially, etc etc.

Still trying to work out how we missed Lachie Neale at pick 58 in 2011 and drafted Murray Newman (23) and Fraser (28) instead

Fold the club. People should be sacked. Jacob Brennan especially, etc etc.
Some handy names but a pretty underwhelming draft overall

Edit: Spare a thought for GWS who overlooked Neale 12 times

Pretty sure if he extended with Richmond for 1 year he would be a FA end of next year. That would actually be a great outcome as we could snare him and retain all our picks while they get compo. Given the mass exodus at Tigerland maybe he agrees to stay for a year and steady the ship??
Why on earth would Baker sign a 1 year deal?

He could get a career ending injury next year and he's stuffed.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back