List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Oscar Allen and Jake Waterman are set to sign new deals (Code Sports)
    • Allen is due to become a free agent at the end of next season, but is working on a six-year extension
    • Waterman will sign a four year deal, which is "heavily incentives based" and could see him earn up to $1m per year

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
So it’s a no to Baker and Graham?
You said he only cost salary cap.

I corrected you. As a matter of response, I would take Baker at a modest draft pick (F2) and I am ok with Graham. It seems you irk up when called out!

Tell me, it was a crap season or West Coast but part of the benefit in finishing 16th, I had hoped that you would flick off and provide Norf and Crunt Road with your wisdom and company.

How about it? Can you do us a favour?

Do we need to have this same chat every year?

Dom was considered a much better player at the time and get for us than Cripps, by the length of the Flemington.

Can't be a hindsight hero when 12 other picks went before Cripps in that draft.
In fairness I remember watching Cripps live at Docklands dismantling the SA midfield in 2013 and thinking that this kid would be something special. If you just saw that game in isolation you would have a very good glimpse of the tremendous stoppage player he'd become.

That and Cripps was seen as a huge reach at the time.
Phil I appreciate the majority of what you post but I respectfully disagree on this one

• I don't think he was seen as a huge reach. He was expected to go first round, grew a lot across the course of the year which obvs is a sign for additional potential once he learnt to use that additional body.
  • Carlton saw enough in him to pull the trigger at 14. Eagles recruiters failed to identify it. Of course its ridiculous to expect every draft pick is nailed, but it's also fair to say we failed to identify a local talent that others successfully identified. And when viewed in the context of all the other draft picks taken over a 5-6 year period, it's yet another that we got wrong.
  • Ultimately he only went 2 places later than sheed, so the argument that 12 other clubs passed on Cripps so he can't have been that much of a standout can also be applied to Sheed - 10 other clubs passed on him for a reason too.
  • Not bagging dom, he was a good afl player until his injuries. But he's gotten nowhere near Cripps level.

Phil I appreciate the majority of what you post but I respectfully disagree on this one

• I don't think he was seen as a huge reach. He was expected to go first round, grew a lot across the course of the year which obvs is a sign for additional potential once he learnt to use that additional body.
  • Carlton saw enough in him to pull the trigger at 14. Eagles recruiters failed to identify it. Of course its ridiculous to expect every draft pick is nailed, but it's also fair to say we failed to identify a local talent that others successfully identified. And when viewed in the context of all the other draft picks taken over a 5-6 year period, it's yet another that we got wrong.
  • Ultimately he only went 2 places later than sheed, so the argument that 12 other clubs passed on Cripps so he can't have been that much of a standout can also be applied to Sheed - 10 other clubs passed on him for a reason too.
  • Not bagging dom, he was a good afl player until his injuries. But he's gotten nowhere near Cripps level.

Sheed won us a Grand Final off his boot. That takes away the sting of not drafting him, to me.

Sheed won us a Grand Final off his boot. That takes away the sting of not drafting him, to me.
I actually agree with this sentiment to a large degree.
doesn't change the fact though that cripps has been a vastly superior player & we failed to see it coming. As I said though, can't get them all right. But we haven't gotten enough right for a long time.

That 2013 drafts was weird. I swear we were linked to Sheed all year and we ultimately ended up even trading down and taking him. I can’t recall any other year we’ve been linked to a player throughout the whole season and ultimately picking him. Usually who we take with our first pick is sorta of a guess till very close to the draft.

You think Richmond would pay him 2 million?

Also, his next contract would probably be $700 000 for 5.
no, but then he goes to the draft with a 2million dollar contract over his head which we could pick up, then immediately renegotiate to smooth it out over however many years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, there was definitely a feeling at the time that he was a reach. Maybe not a big one, but still enough of a surprise to be a topic of conversation at the time. Similar vibe to when Adelaide took Dangerfield.

IMG_5734.jpeg

That’s from Cal Twomey’s predraft ratings

Champion Data didn’t have Cripps in their top 30 and the mock draft in that article had Essendon taking Cripps at 26

This is what the Carlton recruiter said about Cripps post draft

IMG_5735.jpeg

Fair to say his assessment of Cripps was bang on and their gamble paid off in spades - Cripps was a reach at 13 but they saw something others didn’t. Well done them

Doesn’t mean we were wrong to take Sheed though based on evidence at the time

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back