List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Oscar Allen and Jake Waterman are set to sign new deals (Code Sports)
    • Allen is due to become a free agent at the end of next season, but is working on a six-year extension
    • Waterman will sign a four year deal, which is "heavily incentives based" and could see him earn up to $1m per year

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
He didn't have a hip replacement. He had what's known as a pelvic osteotomy to correct hip dysplasia. Hip dysplasia is when you are born with weird angles of the acetabulum (socket) in relation to the head of femur (ball). The break the pelvis in a few spots to change the angle which allows the ball to sit more snug in the socket.

Without the surgery the hip is notoriously unstable and the risk of total degenerative osteoarthritis by 35 year of age and THEN a total hip replacement is huge.

Another preseason and his kicking will return.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Cheers

He didn't have a hip replacement. He had what's known as a pelvic osteotomy to correct hip dysplasia. Hip dysplasia is when you are born with weird angles of the acetabulum (socket) in relation to the head of femur (ball). The break the pelvis in a few spots to change the angle which allows the ball to sit more snug in the socket.

Without the surgery the hip is notoriously unstable and the risk of total degenerative osteoarthritis by 35 year of age and THEN a total hip replacement is huge.

Would've expected Keys to be across correcting any hip replacement misunderstandings.

One of the other posters on here seemingly with a medical background suggested he’d be lucky to get to 100 games with the hip issue he’s got. I take it you don’t share that view?

Anyone got thoughts on Boxhall after the season he’s had? Might be on our radar as an option pick 23 or if we got the Hawks pick 30?

I know none of the Eastern state’s experts are putting him in the top 30 but he’s right here under our noses. Had an excellent state champs and best on in the grand final in my opinion on the weekend.

187cm and an accumulator.
I’d be happy with a R4 for him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate the idea of giving up F1, F2, and F3 picks. That's what we did last year with Clay Hall. it hamstrings us and means we keep cannibalising the next draft to deal with the current draft. The only trade I'd consider is Hawks F1 for a decent first this year, but even that hurts the idea of Warner.

Pick 64 might be useful in a deep draft, but banking on that to actually return a reliable AFL player is wishful thinking.
Just my opinion, but your F2 is going to be pushed back a lot, like possibly 10 odd places.

And that’s before anyone has any idea of how many compo picks will be handed out next year.

Right now, the depth of next year’s draft looks to be club tied through NGA’s and father son kids.

WCE_phil might be able to confirm from what he’s heard from recruiters.

There are going to be some surprises this draft in the second and third rounds that people don’t see coming.

I tend agree that he’s probably later than in the middle but he (Boxhall)is one for instance that could surprise.

Urquhart and Artemis are two others. It will largely depend on how clubs view them.

Urquhart for instance has had a hip replacement
An actual hip replacement or surgery to repair something in his hip?

Both will affect his quality of life going forward, but gees I wouldn’t want my kid playing AFL if he/she has had a hip replacement.

*not a medical opion.
and has affected his kicking. Clubs may stay well away from him but also could say he’s got lots of room for improvement. At 190cm and a ball pig let’s roll the dice. Let’s back in that we can improve his kicking seeing he’s had to adjust late in his development. A little how Cripps had to adjust through a major growth spurt. It will be an interesting draft. 👍🏻

Just my opinion, but your F2 is going to be pushed back a lot, like possibly 10 odd places.

And that’s before anyone has any idea of how many compo picks will be handed out next year.

Right now, the depth of next year’s draft looks to be club tied through NGA’s and father son kids.

I believe he has already confirmed this in a previous comment and as such F2/3 picks holding **** all value in trade conversations

I believe he has already confirmed this in a previous comment and as such F2/3 picks holding **** all value in trade conversations
Unless you have a couple of second round picks that can be packaged up to buy a first round pick.

There’s going to be a few first round picks up for trade for points next year.

Don't we have potential academy kids next year as well though? With the changes in points we might need that second rounder.

Anyone got thoughts on Boxhall after the season he’s had? Might be on our radar as an option pick 23 or if we got the Hawks pick 30?

I know none of the Eastern state’s experts are putting him in the top 30 but he’s right here under our noses. Had an excellent state champs and best on in the grand final in my opinion on the weekend.

187cm and an accumulator.
A mark of his i saw in highlights was very reiwoldtish .very courageous

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

An actual hip replacement or surgery to repair something in his hip?

Both will affect his quality of life going forward, but gees I wouldn’t want my kid playing AFL if he/she has had a hip replacement.

*not a medical opion.
Yeah it wasn’t a hip replacement. Woosha replied as to what it was above. Was some form of hip surgery.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back