One of Burgiel/C Clarke/K Smith

That’s an entirely plausible result and not one I’d complain about

Busslinger at 8 doesn’t necessarily void our draft

True but I don’t know if Hewett slides that far. Equally as plausible is:

Busslinger
Jefferson/Hustwaite
Cowan
Barnett

Our main priority is elite mids so wouldn’t want to risk those being snapped up by taking Buss at 8.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just say we end up with this

Busslinger
Allan
Hewett
One of Burgiel/C Clarke/K Smith

That’s an entirely plausible result and not one I’d complain about

Busslinger at 8 doesn’t necessarily void our draft

What it should/would do, if we take him at either 8 or 12, is then dictate our picks at 20 and 26 - i.e. no more talls

Guys like Keeler and Barnett would fit a need, but taking 2 talls (then likely 1 mid and 1 defender or small forward) would be quite an unbalanced draft hand for us.

That is our challenge with Busslinger, he may be best on the board but he would create other problems both at the draft and then when we try to squeeze 5 players into 2.5 positions (it's never 2, but it isn't really 3 full time KPD spots either!).

What it should/would do, if we take him at either 8 or 12, is then dictate our picks at 20 and 26 - i.e. no more talls

Guys like Keeler and Barnett would fit a need, but taking 2 talls (then likely 1 mid and 1 defender or small forward) would be quite an unbalanced draft hand for us.

That is our challenge with Busslinger, he may be best on the board but he would create other problems both at the draft and then when we try to squeeze 5 players into 2.5 positions (it's never 2, but it isn't really 3 full time KPD spots either!).
Correct.

I’m not advocating that we take Busslinger at 8 - I posted earlier that doing so limits our options with later picks by selecting a player who isn’t a most pressing positional need

Just pointing out that if we do take him with our first pick it’s not the end of the world even though he’s not my preferred option

True but I don’t know if Hewett slides that far. Equally as plausible is:

Busslinger
Jefferson/Hustwaite
Cowan
Barnett

Our main priority is elite mids so wouldn’t want to risk those being snapped up by taking Buss at 8.

If we end up with 3 talls and a half back then the melts will be justified

But I don’t think we’re that dumb

Maybe we are smart at only picking Vic kids who aren't red flags on flight risk.

Freo not as much.

Who would you rather be?
Or maybe we are better at retaining them? You can't know for certain.

Right now? Freo are in a better spot then us. I think their last few years of trading and drafting has been pretty good. Sure they lost a couple of players but got compensated pretty well. How they got pick 2 for Lachie Weller still amazes me.

Right now? Freo are in a better spot then us. I think their last few years of trading and drafting has been pretty good. Sure they lost a couple of players but got compensated pretty well. How they got pick 2 for Lachie Weller still amazes me.
The counter-party they were trading with was Gold Coast...

They’ve also finished low enough to receive a top 10 pick in 2016, 2017, 2019 and 2021 (and that’s not counting the times they were able to bring in more top 10 picks when high-profile players asked for a trade, or when they had an academy player they had to match a bid for at pick 9).

The last time we had one was 2013.

That might be partly why they look like they’re in a better spot right now.

They’ve also finished low enough to receive a top 10 pick in 2016, 2017, 2019 and 2021 (and that’s not counting the times they were able to bring in more top 10 picks when high-profile players asked for a trade, or when they had an academy player they had to match a bid for at pick 9).

The last time we had one was 2013.

That might be partly why they look like they’re in a better spot right now.
Yeah I know there are reasons but Obenie asked me who I'd rather be. Who would you rather be right now?
I know he probably meant in regards to retaining players, which I'd obviously rather be us but that didn't suit my argument :tearsofjoy:

I don't like giving them compliments but I still think they've traded and drafted pretty well in recent times.

This Board : “We better not be taking Allan with pick 8”

Geelong : “With pick 7 we select Ed Allan”

This Board : “Those Geelong bastards stole our draft choice”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair that's mostly been me.
Also to be fair to the rest of the board Geelong are bastards no matter who they draft.

to be fair letterkenny problems GIF

Yeah I know there are reasons but Obenie asked me who I'd rather be. Who would you rather be right now?
I know he probably meant in regards to retaining players, which I'd obviously rather be us but that didn't suit my argument :tearsofjoy:

I don't like giving them compliments but I still think they've traded and drafted pretty well in recent times.

They’ve had a lot more chances to hit the jackpot than we have, and they haven’t nailed all of them.

For example in 2016 they traded down from 3 to 7 to get Cam McCarthy. McCarthy was a bust, and they ended up with Logue while their original pick was used on Hugh McCluggage.

Then in 2018 they had pick 6, traded it away in a pick swap, got it back in the Lachie Neale deal, then traded it away again for Jesse Hogan. Gold Coast ended up using it on Ben King. How much would Freo love having Ben King?

On the flip side the Brayshaw, Serong and Young picks look like strokes of genius. Particularly Brayshaw who was rated outside the big four (Rayner, Dow, LDU, Cerra) but they took him at 2 and he’s surpassed all of them.

They’ve had a lot more chances to hit the jackpot than we have, and they haven’t nailed all of them.

For example in 2016 they traded down from 3 to 7 to get Cam McCarthy. McCarthy was a bust, and they ended up with Logue while their original pick was used on Hugh McCluggage.

Then in 2018 they had pick 6, traded it away in a pick swap, got it back in the Lachie Neale deal, then traded it away again for Jesse Hogan. Gold Coast ended up using it on Ben King. How much would Freo love having Ben King?

On the flip side the Brayshaw, Serong and Young picks look like strokes of genius. Particularly Brayshaw who was rated outside the big four (Rayner, Dow, LDU, Cerra) but they took him at 2 and he’s surpassed all of them.
They also traded in Clark, Brodie, Aish and Acres who all worked out pretty well. This year Jackson and O'Meara.
Looking at it they have made a lot of moves recently. It is hard for all of them to come off but yeah King would be pretty handy for them right now.

I always wonder how good they'd be right now if they'd just drafted some talls instead of trading so many high picks for crap ones

We would be in a pretty good position (both picks, rather than just 8 now as it stands) if both Ginbey and Allan were taken before our pick 8.

Assuming Hawks take Humphrey or McKenzie, then we would have the other one available, plus Clark, Busslinger, Hewett, Phillipou. Guaranteed 2 of them!

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I've been thinking about the odds of bust picks at various draft pick positions, and I was just wondering if anyone could think of any intercept defenders in the mold of Busslinger (ie his skillset, selected top 15 or so of the draft in previous years) being a bust?

I have a feeling that those sorts of players have a much higher success rate, but it's just a feeling without solid data.
Fisher Mcasey.

Aaron Francis

Yeah fair enough. Lachie Plowman might be another, but feels like there’s less busts than KPF when you look at Weitering, SDK, Lever for example. I’m OK with taking Busslinger at 12 if we get a decent mid at 8. The main issue is we have four key backs currently ahead of him in Mcgovern, Barrass, Edwards and Bazzo.

Just can't see Busslinger getting past Blues or Dogs to 12. Both would love him.

I'd rather still be us.
We're about to embark on a list build. Premierships are the goal, but I very much look forward to the journey to get there.

What club legend will we draft next? The next Judd, Kennedy, Cox, Matera, Marsden 🥰

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back