List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:
Personally, all the ragging on Nelson on here annoys me no end. Not a star, no, but not too many can be. He is solid depth.
As stated previously, i'm not overly bothered by Nelson. Just think if we are doing a rebuild we should move him on. A solid depth player at his age isn't helpful. We need those spots filled by kids who could develop into something more.

He'd be better suited going to a team that is contending, he can slot in then if something happens to the first 22 players.

Nelson has a number of failings:

1. Too often Nelson gets the ball and does not look to evade and dispose. Instead he braces for tackle and it's a stoppage. This mightn't sound that bad but what it does is create a 50/50 in our backline when he is doing this as a defender.
That's the safest option and the team thing to do. Gives time for numbers to flood back✅, allows defenders to man up on each opponent✅ and slows the game down✅.
2. His disposal by foot is not penetrating. In recent seasons Jetta, Hurn, Duggan, Witherden, Yeo have all shown ability to spot up a piercing long ball to counterattack.
4. He is also one of the bigger culprits in looking backwards/sideways for an easy kick with ball in hand.
I put this down to having a dogshit midfield. Our whole squad don't have bad foot skills or decision making, we are playing so conservant to cover our biggest weakness. Jetta would stuff it up 50% of the time yet we were good enough to act quicker than the opposition more often than not.

As stated previously, i'm not overly bothered by Nelson. Just think if we are doing a rebuild we should move him on. A solid depth player at his age isn't helpful. We need those spots filled by kids who could develop into something more.

He'd be better suited going to a team that is contending, he can slot in then if something happens to the first 22 players.

Good post and very much on the money.
Doubt he is worth anything in a trade, he gets onto another list as a delisted free agent, after the trade and draft period.

Personally, all the ragging on Nelson on here annoys me no end. Not a star, no, but not too many can be. He is solid depth.

He was solid depth when we were contending.

That period is now been and gone.

So given that we are in a list rebuild stage, it’s time to move him on.

Been a good and important addition to a list that won a flag, but not the sort of player that you hold on to in a rebuild phase.

When Clubs are in a rebuild, players like him are list cloggers.

A Club can keep a few like him for an extra year, trouble is, that at the moment, we have too many list cloggers some younger, some a similar age, so it’s time for a harsh prune of the list over the next two years.

I get that sometimes you do need a player or two for depth in a rebuild.
If I am rolling the dice on an extra year for a list clogger, I would err on the side of caution and give it to the younger player as he may ( all be it unlikely) improve with an extra year.

Example: I would much prefer to keep LEdwards or Witherden over Nelson.

Lots of cap space for ... the kids we need to fill the list with?

Or the superstar trade target that might get us to 12th?
Id personally front load as many contracts as possible. Pay our 100% of the cap so now and next year, then go to the 95% floor (which allows us to go over in subsequent years) and we can easily accommodate young stars we draft :D or a big fish:huh:

Lots of cap space for ... the kids we need to fill the list with?

Or the superstar trade target that might get us to 12th?
We are paying top of the cap to be second last and win 2 games? Cool. It's about acquiring draft assets and targeting ooc young players to fast track the rebuild.

Freo got paid to take Will Brodie's contract. They are astute list management decisions that we are incapable of.

Freo got paid to take Will Brodie's contract. They are astute list management decisions that we are incapable of.

We tried the same thing when we picked up Withderen from Brisbane, it just didn't work out for us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo had the flexibility because they had a young list and cap space and flexibility to execute something like this.

Witherden isn't the same.

De Boer was a genuinely tough player and tagger. Nelson doesn’t get near him.

If we could get anything for Nelson I’d be running all the way to the bank as quick as I could.

Nelson is closer to de Boer than he is to a Gaff.

Nelson is a tagger, same as de Boer. And a niggling campaigner.

Before he left Freo you wouldn't have rated him I'm betting.

Solid depth as what?? Playing on brayshaw twice a year?? He has had 8 years. He isn’t depth he is a clogger. No other side would have kept him for this long.

Hutchings says hi.

If a club is in a flag window and needs a defensive mid / tagger / defender they hold onto a cheap one to fill a role.

As others have said we are not in that window so a Nelson is surplus to requirements.

Some players are worth more to some teams and not others. Nelson's worth is he can play several roles, can defend and won't cost a pick or much cap space. So a club can use picks and cap space on better players.

No club can have 15 gun AA's all getting paid over $700k pa. AFL doesn't work that way.

People need to just stop and acknowledge that.

Nelson is closer to de Boer than he is to a Gaff.

Nelson is a tagger, same as de Boer. And a niggling campaigner.

Before he left Freo you wouldn't have rated him I'm betting.
He was fine at freo, dominated the WAFL as well. Probably told Ross the Boss to stop harassing young women and never saw a senior game again.

Freo had the flexibility because they had a young list and cap space and flexibility to execute something like this.

Witherden isn't the same.

Fremantle pick up a 23 year old from a Queensland side who are paying part of their salary, astute
West Coast pick up a 22 year old from a Queensland side who are paying part of their salary, not astute

Some real goal post shifting to justify the above as something West Coast don't try.

I'm excited about the rebuild after watching Sydney tonight. Bring on the coming years. (Don't come at me with with technicalities about Sydney's access to players... I don't GAF)
We don't have Sydney's recruitment team. and obsession of non vanilla players.

Fremantle pick up a 23 year old from a Queensland side who are paying part of their salary, astute
West Coast pick up a 22 year old from a Queensland side who are paying part of their salary, not astute

Some real goal post shifting to justify the above as something West Coast don't try.
It’s more astute when you get pick 19 as well

On top of this, we were all stoked with the move at the time as we thought it was very astute. People have short memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back