List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:
It’s more astute when you get pick 19 as well

Fremantle did send back this years second rounder as well. Their good performance is making the trade look better by the day.

Similar to our trade in 2017 when we got pick 21 (Allen) and 26 (Ryan) from the Gold Coast for our 2018 first (ended up being pick 23, Jez McLennan). People mocked us at the time, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

What peeps views on West Coast atm, that they have known for some time that we are in a transition/rebuild whatever you want to call it. Yet we haven’t been able to appoint a list manager to oversee this?
Plus with us now looking to bring in new talent is Nikoski, Horsley, Brennan the right development coaches?

What peeps views on West Coast atm, that they have known for some time that we are in a transition/rebuild whatever you want to call it. Yet we haven’t been able to appoint a list manager to oversee this?
Plus with us now looking to bring in new talent is Nikoski, Horsley, Brennan the right development coaches?

Fair to say and an understatement we haven't managed the soft cap cuts as well as we could have. Things definitely need to be changed up a bit and fresh people bought in, and hopefully the soft cap going up again in the next few years will help with the shake up.

I just don't see how getting a C grade player like Brennan with no actual memorable skills in any area (foot, hand, marking, tackling, body position) to be a development coach is even a good idea.

Daresay he comes cheap and that's the main reason? Other than his link to the club of course. I understand former players normally get the nod for these roles, but can the richest club in the land really not do any better than a bloke who played 28 forgettable games? Goodness gracious me.

Get Priddis back. Or Kerr. Braun. Wirra. Q-Stick. Hell, even Benny if he can hold down the gig. Guessing it's only part time.

I just don't see how getting a C grade player like Brennan with no actual memorable skills in any area (foot, hand, marking, tackling, body position) to be a development coach is even a good idea.

Daresay he comes cheap and that's the main reason? Other than his link to the club of course. I understand former players normally get the nod for these roles, but can the richest club in the land really not do any better than a bloke who played 28 forgettable games? Goodness gracious me.

Get Priddis back. Or Kerr. Braun. Wirra. Q-Stick. Hell, even Benny if he can hold down the gig. Guessing it's only part time.

He did pretty well as East Freo’s colts coach, that’s how he got the gig.

And I’m fairly sure it’s a full time job.

Hutchings says hi.

If a club is in a flag window and needs a defensive mid / tagger / defender they hold onto a cheap one to fill a role.

As others have said we are not in that window so a Nelson is surplus to requirements.

Some players are worth more to some teams and not others. Nelson's worth is he can play several roles, can defend and won't cost a pick or much cap space. So a club can use picks and cap space on better players.

No club can have 15 gun AA's all getting paid over $700k pa. AFL doesn't work that way.

People need to just stop and acknowledge that.

Hutchings and Nelson should never be in the same discussion.. Never..

The best players don't always make the best coaches or scouts and, likewise, not being a great player doesn't preclude you from being a great coach or scout. For the best players, it often comes so much easier that they don't fully comprehend the work involved for the average player. A struggler may know exactly what he was missing and how hard you have to work for every opportunity.

Wi

Wonder if Mundy was at all interested or would be affordable , would be great seeing him oversee the development of Culley, Chesser, Hough and this years crop

Dunno why North would hire a C-grade player like Clarkson with no actual memorable skills in any area to be head coach.

He wasn't head coach 20 years ago when he was Brennans age was he ya silly w***er.

Clarkson also played 134 AFL games. Lil bit different. I see what you tried to do though, your execution was just off. Back to the drawing board.

He wasn't head coach 20 years ago when he was Brennans age was he ya silly w***er.

Lil bit different there matey. I see what you tried to do, your execution was just off. Back to the drawing board.
And Brennan stopped playing footy and turned to coaching about eight years ago.

As Jack said, the best players don’t make the best coaches and vice versa

And Brennan stopped playing footy and turned to coaching about eight years ago.

As Jack said, the best players don’t make the best coaches and vice versa

Coaching JNRS right? Colts? Has Brennan coached at senior level at all before West Coast?

I got no idea but would love to know the answer to that one. Website just says he went Colts then our AFLW team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaching JNRS right? Colts? Has Brennan coached at senior level at all before West Coast?

I got no idea but would love to know the answer to that one.

Relevance? Wouldn’t there be a fair bit of similarity between coaching colts and being a development coach?

Fremantle pick up a 23 year old from a Queensland side who are paying part of their salary, astute
West Coast pick up a 22 year old from a Queensland side who are paying part of their salary, not astute

Some real goal post shifting to justify the above as something West Coast don't try.
Brisbane threw us a pick 19 for our troubles right?

Pretty significant omission

Relevance? Wouldn’t there be a fair bit of similarity between coaching colts and being a development coach?

I guess. Colts is what, 19 an under?

Our development coaches spend time working with basically all our depth players that aren't getting the quality time with the senior coaches right?

Not necessarily young draftee's? Clark for instance. Rotham. SPS. West. Witherden. Beagles regulars.

I guess. Colts is what, 19 an under?

Our development coaches spend time working with basically all our depth players that aren't getting the quality time with the senior coaches right?

Not necessarily young draftee's? Clark for instance. Rotham. SPS. West. Witherden. Beagles regulars.

When I said similarities I didn’t just mean “dealing with teenagers”.

Being a colts coach would, I imagine, involve a lot of helping players develop. As would being a development coach.

Brisbane threw us a pick 19 for our troubles right?

Pretty significant omission

We picked up a 22 year old, former pick 23 with 59 games AFL experience under his belt for pick 58 AND Brisbane were paying part of his salary for two years. AFL Rising Star nominee, AFL 22 under 22 team player as well.
At the time of the trade most people were over the moon we had just pulled off that move. Witherden had more exposed form at AFL level than Brodie despite both being from the same draft.

You are kidding yourself if you don't think people thought it was an astute pick up at the time.

As I said above, Freo gave back their second rounder this year for that pick 19 which you are now omitting from the information. It's looking to be a winner for them because of how well they are doing.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but stop trying to shift goal posts to say West Coast didn't also try it.

Jaymie Graham played 37 AFL games

Has no place being an AFL coach

:crossmark:But they all haven't done a 2 year sports training certification at ECU

When I said similarities I didn’t just mean “dealing with teenagers”.

Being a colts coach would, I imagine, involve a lot of helping players develop. As would being a development coach.
Basically its 50% of the time telling them to not get wasted the night before games and to keep off the bongs until the off season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back