List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:
Keen for Jackson to come over and tap it to tumbleweeds 10 times a game all for the low, low price of Pick 2.

We'd surely try to split if we went for him (I hope)

Something like, Rioli for Port future 2nd

Our future 2nd plus pick 2 for 5&7 off GC

5&20 for Jackson and 32

Go to the draft with 7, 26, 32 &38

I do too, but we cannot know for certain that pick 2 would turn out to be a better get for our side than Luke Jackson.

If it turned out to be say a Cam Rayner - would you be okay with that?

Yep, there's a genuine concern that we draft Wardlaw and he spends years on the injury list along with Chesser before they get let go. Would be a disaster for our rebuild.

so now eagles are after an undersized key forward in Georgiades (Waterman does a similar role) and an undersized ruck in Jackson. There goes most of our picks for this draft neglecting the area of most need the midfield. I hope this is just speculation and doesnt come about
Why? Could be the end of the “we are way too tall” crew😂

My point was largely that I value an elite midfielder above an elite ruck.
I value 5 elite midfielders above any ruck. Ruck is the position where you have 4 or 5 cheapish ones on the list constantly and if they aren't showing by year 5 cut the oldest one and go get the tallest kid in the WAFL that's still available in the 4th round. Rucks are a crapshoot because they don't come good until 24 and the ones that ruck in thier early 20s usually break down. Nothing like having a first round million dollar ruckman playing 5 games every 2 years.

Midfielders only thanks.

Then we find another Lycett, Sinclair, Vardy, Hickey. All rucks we picked up for bugger all and got playing their best footy.

None of them apart from Lycett was a primary ruck and we picked up Lycett for a good pick anyway (around 29 from memory, he was a slider that was still on the board after we got Darling for 26). Naitanui at his peak dominated all four of them - what pick was he?

None of them apart from Lycett was a primary ruck and we picked up Lycett for a good pick anyway (around 29 from memory, he was a slider that was still on the board after we got Darling for 26). Naitanui at his peak dominated all four of them - what pick was he?

It comes down to the difference to the team's performance between a midfielder at 2 vs midfielders picked up with the picks we used on Lycett/Sinclair/Vardy/Hickey, compared with the difference to the team's performance between a ruckman at 2 vs Lycett/Sinclair/Vardy/Hickey.

I'd go with the midfielder at 2 thanks, and bring on the next Lycett/Sinclair/Vardy/Hickey.

Jarrad Schofield has a close footy link to Georgiades who played Colts while Schofield was coach of Subiaco .
In the bag !!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure about whether or not Jackson is right for the Eagles right now but he certainly has talent and age on his side.
I'd be more ok with it if we managed to trade our pick 2 and got two firsts back from a deal and used one in the draft.

Not nominating Freo is huge.
They'll want 2 straight out - It's probably fair too

I'm kinda 'meh' on Georgiades and Jackson. The last thing we need at the moment is another one of those players, especially when our current midfield gives next to no supply as is.

I do like the idea of Jackson saying he doesn't mind going to either team so it means Freo will have to pay further out the ass for him in fear of us trumping them with our better draft picks.

Jackson will never be Nic Nat level in the ruck.

Hickey and Lycett are more than capable of being primary rucks, and have been since leaving us. Even Sinclair was for a few years at Sydney

I’m all for picking a broadbent or other ruck slider with one of our picks in the 20’s. Like Lycett. Hope we strike gold (gold being an average level ruck)

I think with Sheed and Edwards coming back from injury, Culley doing first preseason, Chesser should be ready to go the Eagles already will have a different look to there midfield for next year. Yes I’d love to see some more A grade midfield talent added but maybe that’s next year?
If we could add Jackson and Georgiades I’d be fine with that, both young with there best football in front of them.

We're not talking about pick 2 for Tim English or Oscar McInerney though - this is Luke Jackson. He will make any side he is in better, this is not in dispute, and he's not even 21 yet - he looks set for a decade long career. Do you think Williams or CJ can even come close to matching Jackson based on exposed form so far?
21 ish, short for a modern ruckman - or KP player. His body isnt developing in the right way to be a strength based ruckman. I met Nic soon after he was drafted - his elbows were bigger than my knees and he had to build strength to compete well. Jackson just doesnt seem worth such a high proces or fit with our priority needs. He was also beaten by Hickie - value for money?

Genuine question... in the modern era of the game (say, the last 30 years) has any cellar-dwelling team managed to trade their way to success?

The problem when you are rubbish is that all your players look rubbish. Even the decent ones. So you have no trade currency. But when you are flying, suddenly all your players look like superstars. I mean look at Stengle -- can't get a kick at Adelaide, but becomes a superstar at Geelong. They picked him up for nothing. Pickups like Stengle work for Geelong because they seem to have a good development pipeline and a strong culture. They put in the ground work to build strong foundations.

Whereas selling the farm to bring in a superstar just means you have a rubbish team with a rubbish culture and a standout player.

Mixed emotions on Jackson.

If Nesbitt thinks it will be the panacea and get us back competing at the pointy end, he needs to understand our list frailties and our poor off-field support and realise we need a massive rebuilding and strengthening period.

There is a world that I would take Jackson.
1. We start the trade period and do a quick deal with Suns or someone else to slide back to the 6 to 7 region and pick up something else like an extra second rounder.
2. Go to Melbourne with 6 or 7 and say that is it. They will do the usual moan but the pre-season draft is a real possibility, not just a threat.
3. Agree with Jackson on a 5 by $800k. As posters have stated, the pot will go up with the new broadcast rights .
4. Get AFL approval to forgo the use of a R1 pick (as suggested in the AFL.COM post this is likely to be ticked off given Luke is only 20 - he turns 21 later this year)

For those who think he is an undersized ruck, I agree. He has a great leap and competes best at the centre bounces. I would play a second ruck who is a round the ground and stoppage mauler (Meeks/Foot/Hickey) and Luke goes back to CHF for the majority of the time.

Folks - he is 20 and about to turn 21. He has a massive amount of maturity left in him and I expect him to be better. We would be getting a lot more than a ruckman. He plays the CHF role well when he has the mids and small forwards feeding off him. WA ere dominant in the U18 carnival in his year. Playing the role with NicNat will be much better than NicNat and Bailey.

Don't forget that Melbourne was seen as the best team half way through the season and he and Gawn were seen as the best combination. Melbourne have been a basket case since the half way mark with the connection from defence to the mids to the forwards being poor. They get the ball often enough but either cannot execute or cannot make the right choices. On top of that they are still coming to terms with their lack of cohesion (May and Melksham punch up exposed part of that)

So we do not overpay - offer him the $800k x 5
Deal with Suns and accept pick 7. Get in addition pick 25 and 32

1663039906066.png
Offer Melbourne pick 7 and Gaff where we pay 400k of his 2023 salary or $200k for 2 years. Gaff was a Melbourne supporter - it might be a long straw.
Alternative to Gaff is to give over Bailey Williams as Melbourne's ruck coverage
Get the Lions pick 15 (26 plus 27 for Rioli should do) to go with 20 25 and 38 this gets us clean with the AFL rule if they refuse.

We end up with
Jackson
15 Hewett or Szybkowski
20 Hotton or Hustwaite
25 D'Aloia or one of the Ryans
32 and 38 best available like a Coby Burgiel or Charlie Clark or Darcy Jones

As it stands
2 Wardlaw
20 Hotton or Hustwaite
26 D'Aloia or one of the Ryans
38 Coby Burgiel or Charlie Clark or Darcy Jones

It effectively means we get Hewett and Jackson plus 2 picks in the 30's and lose Gaff and Wardlaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back