WCE gain: 8, 12, 15

Now if we get what we want and don't fold

That's a bloody good deal of you ask me

Draft hand of 8, 12, 15, 20 and 26

Stop this bullshit that next year is a super draft. Happens every year

Hewett gone from pick 3 to outside top 10

Broadbent gone from best tall to a rookie projection

Focus on now and 5 picks in top 26 is a good position to be in

Mate I absolutely agree if we get the latter offer, take it and run, I just have a feeling we will settle for 2 and Rioli for 8, 12 and a future 2nd and I don’t think that’s good enough, we need to ensure we get another first whilst keeping 20 and our future 2nd, fine with giving up 26 or 38.

Rightly or wrongly eagles will have thier own board and own ratings. Perhaps they don't see much difference between 2 and 8.

We can kick up a fuss all we want, but a lot of this speculation is under the assumption that we would take wardlaw if we stay put. But chances are eagles will surprise everyone if we do stay put and reach.. eagles more then most teams pick players that do not reflect the recycled phantoms out there.

The melts are intense already. Imagine when we don't improve our draft hand and take ginbey at 2
I wouldn’t back our recruiters one bit based on recent drafting form where we reach for players who wouldn’t get taken till at least the following round. If this trade gets done, as it currently stands, it’s straight from the ROB “trying be to clever for his own good” playbook.

Literally the two options here are, sit and wait for a monster deal from a desperate club (can be anywhere from right now until draft night) or alternatively take Cadman or Wardlaw if nothing suitable pops up.

If the club or supporters accept anything other than those two options then we better get prepared to be a middling club at best for the foreseeable future. We literally hold all the aces, it would be such a Freo move to accept anything that’s been floated today

Last edited:
I feel insulted as a West Coast supporter that they are even coming to us with deals as awful as the currently proposed one. They must think there is some kind of chance we will cop that trade. They must think we are absolute chumps. ROB's reaction to these awful proposed trades is obviously not a sufficient amount of emphatic disgust.

I wouldn’t back our recruiters one bit based on recent drafting form where we reach for players who wouldn’t get taken till at least the following round. If this trade gets done it’s straight from the ROB “trying be to clever for his own good” playbook.

Literally the two options here are, sit and wait for a monster deal from a desperate club (can be anywhere from right now until draft night) or alternatively take Cadman or Wardlaw if nothing suitable pops up.

If the club or supporters accept anything other than those two options then we better get prepared to be a middling club at best for the foreseeable future. We literally hold all the aces, it would be such a Freo move to accept anything that’s been floated today
But again this is based on your assumption that wardlaw and cadman are the two standouts.

The club may see iT differently.

And for months now people have been claiming this draft lacks legit top talent... and now cadman and wardlaw are being thrown around like the next super stars

Perhaps this is a draft where the eagles recruiters are seeing an evenness where making multiple picks in rnd1 is worth losing pick 2.

Quick fix? You don't need top 5 picks to win a premiership

Look at Carlton...barely played finals in 15 years

Cats haven't had a top 5 picks in a century

Our 2018 side had 2 tip 5 picks won being Masten!

Where in desperate need on youth and something like 8, 12 and 15 for 2 is the right call

I doubts its 8 and 12 for 2 considering we said no to 8 and Port F2

Taking 2 to the draft and its a long climb up
Can just as easily use Dees and Tigers as examples where top 5 picks have been very important in a premiership….

Correct

I'm lead to believe through a source that the current offer ends with

WCE lose: 2, 26, Rioli
WCE gain: 8, 12, 19

Eagles are wanting the below in the mega trade

WCE lose: 2, 38, Rioli

Ultimately it's none of our concern but 12, 15 and 19 belong to GWS. If we are giving up 2, Rioli and 26 or 38 what is enticing them to the table?

I am good with the 8, 12, 15 deal but I still don't see enough value on the table for GWS to part with 3 and 12 and 15.

The one saving grace to trade week so far is that at least we get to see port and the cats try and out-campaigner each other over Ratugolea.
An eternal loop of massively one-sided trade offers going both ways until the end of Wednesday.
They've been my 2 most disliked teams for such a long time. The way they behave and their entitled behaviour is precisely why. I laughed reading your comment, I can just picture them being unable to deal with each other exclusively - they'd absolutely need 3rd (probably 4th, 5th and apparently 6th) parties included to get anything achieved.

Correct

If this is accurate, very interesting. And we should tell them to get stuffed if it's the current offer you've mentioned - essentially Rioli is worth an upgrade from 26 to 19, and that's if you think 2 is worth 8 & 12, which I don't agree with. 38 to 15 is definitely a better upgrade - would we do 26 to 15 if something additional like a Future 2nd was thrown in?

So it'd end up like this:

WC lose: 2, 26, Rioli
WC gain: 8, 12, 15, Future 2nd

GWS shouldn't bother trying to move up the draft order. Whoever they pick will end up at Richmond or Geelong in 2-3 years time anyway.

That's what I reckon. Bonkers to consolidate and triple the risk

But again this is based on your assumption that wardlaw and cadman are the two standouts.

The club may see iT differently.

And for months now people have been claiming this draft lacks legit top talent... and now cadman and wardlaw are being thrown around like the next super stars

Perhaps this is a draft where the eagles recruiters are seeing an evenness where making multiple picks in rnd1 is worth losing pick 2.
Yeah but my point is. With our track record is there any reason to trust our recruiters knowledge of the draft board?

I would say our guys haven’t earned the respect from past performance that would help us to be comfortable with them making such a trade (and in fairness they’ve usually had later picks to deal with so it has been tougher).

There looks to be a clear number 2 mid this draft barring injury record, some are arguing he could be the best, and we’re dangling around our pick willy nilly because it seems we are set on some local guys a bit further back.

If anything we should be keeping pick 2 and trying to bundle the other picks for another early/mid teens pick to land us Hewett or future picks, not go the other way and lose the best currency we have before the draft has even begun

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In this draft with the players available (and tampering going on) I actually do believe pick 2 is worth roughly 8 & 12, particularly for a non victorian side.

As a member and supporter of the club I wouldn't be happy with just that but doing what I am now in this draft, If i was West Coast I wouldn't be opposed to it as long as something meaningful is coming in for rioli preferably with 38 going out as steak knives to someone.

Only interested in taking 5 picks in the draft and 5 inside 29 (including 3 potential/likely bids in there) I would be happy with. If as it stands we end up with 8,12,19,20,26 then I would be very happy with that.

As a west coast supporter what I don't like is having ****ing Geelong 1 pick ahead of us twice in the draft.

Ultimately it's none of our concern but 12, 15 and 19 belong to GWS. If we are giving up 2, Rioli and 26 or 38 what is enticing them to the table?

I am good with the 8, 12, 15 deal but I still don't see enough value on the table for GWS to part with 3 and 12 and 15.
I’ll give this a crack and I’ll assume Port get permission to trade out their future 2nd

West Coast
Give - 2,40,Rioli (2974)
Get - 8,12,15 (3084)
+110

GWS
Give - 3,12,15 (3877)
Get - 1,43,Port F2 (3585)

North
Give - 1,JHF (6000)
Get - 2,3,33,40,Port F1 (6201)
+201

Port
Give - 8,33,43,F1,F2 (3374)
Get - JHF,Rioli (3355)

Points are using the points table compiled by Suma Magic and valuing JHF as pick 1, Rioli as pick 30 and Port finishing 9th (picks 9 and 27)

GWS take a bit of a hit but they’re chasing Cadman so depends on how much they want him

Port get lucky but that’s due in part because they’re taking players wanting out of their respective clubs and it’s hard to get full value in those circumstances

For us we go to the draft with 8,12,15,20,26 rather than 2,20,26,40,78. We also lose Rioli

AsterixTheGaul and Monocle have described that 8-15 range as a bit of a sweet spot. This draft hand gives us 3 picks there albeit losing our pick at the pointy end. Tapping out at 26 in a shallow draft also is a good thing

It’s a good result for us and the other clubs look to get a fair outcome

I’ll give this a crack and I’ll assume Port get permission to trade out their future 2nd

West Coast
Give - 2,40,Rioli (2974)
Get - 8,12,15 (3084)
+110

GWS
Give - 3,12,15 (3877)

North
Give - 1,JHF (6000)
+201

Port
Get - JHF,Rioli (3355)

Points are using the points table compiled by Suma Magic and valuing JHF as pick 1, Rioli as pick 30 and Port finishing 9th (picks 9 and 27)

GWS take a bit of a hit but they’re chasing Cadman so depends on how much they want him

Port get lucky but that’s due in part because they’re taking players wanting out of their respective clubs and it’s hard to get full value in those circumstances

For us we go to the draft with 8,12,15,20,26 rather than 2,20,26,40,78. We also lose Rioli

AsterixTheGaul and Monocle have described that 8-15 range as a bit of a sweet spot. This draft hand gives us 3 picks there albeit losing our pick at the pointy end. Tapping out at 26 in a shallow draft also is a good thing

Could probably add our pick 59 (158 points) and give it to GWS, they probably wont use it though.

West Coast
Give - 2,40,Rioli (2974)
Get - 8,12,15 (3084)
+110

GWS
Give - 3,12,15 (3877)

North
Give - 1,JHF (6000)
+201

Port
Get - JHF,Rioli (3355)

Would GWS accept that?

Maybe there can be a further pick swap between Port or North and GWS to try and even things up a bit.

I don't see why there is this implicit assumption in the media that North should come out square or in front in this deal. JHF is their problem. He is leaving one way or the other either this year or next by the sounds of it. And he is a PR headache for them. And if things keep going sour between him and the club he could even just walk out on them half way through next year. They have a problem, partly created by their own bad decisions and mismanagement of a draftee, that they need to find a solution to and if they lose a bit or currency or value in solving it then i think that that is fair enough.

Correct

This….
The best post in the last 300 pages!

Bottom line(s).

Pick 2 is a sellers market. If someone is willing to pay a premium, it's our choice to sell. If no premium offer comes in, we get to use it. Cough up or **** off.

Rioli to Port. We are willing to help but not get bent over doing it. Port want to give Jnr a long/high dollar contract. Pay a fair price. If you offer nothing, can you be surprised if we let him walk? An offer of nothing we can use is worthless. Let him go to Essendon in the PSD if it comes to that.

We are not trying to help JHF get to Port from North. Your problem. If you want our help, you have to make it worth our while to get involved.

Stop wasting everyone's time and make it worthwhile. Otherwise we are better off waiting with every chance of a bigger live trade offer on draft night.

Would GWS accept that?

Maybe there can be a further pick swap between Port or North and GWS to try and even things up a bit.

I don't see why there is this implicit assumption in the media that North should come out square or in front in this deal. JHF is their problem. He is leaving one way or the other either this year or next by the sounds of it. And he is a PR headache for them. And if things keep going sour between him and the club he could even just walk out on them half way through next year. They have a problem, partly created by their own bad decisions and mismanagement of a draftee, that they need to find a solution to and if they lose a bit or currency or value in solving it then i think that that is fair enough.
Switching 33 and 43 between GWS and North evens it up and I probably should’ve done that to be fair

Switching 33 and 43 between GWS and North evens it up and I probably should’ve done that to be fair
I am not over the moon over it from our point of view, but i can accept it.

There might be things that we don't know. Maybe the club, after interviewing the draftees, has assessed that the handful of players in this draft worthy of pick 2 are all going to be extreme flight risks going forward. That to me sounds like the most likely reason that they seem intent on trading down and splitting the pick. If that is the case i am happy to back them in to do a deal like this.

Its probably the best we could get ...id take it tbh.
Strongly disagree with this.
Our pick 2 isn't asking for a trade to leave us. We have it if this is all that's offered to us.
The best we can get right now is not do the trade at all and keep what we have.
Right now I don't think pick 8 and 12 for pick 2 is good enough. It's a joke.
Pick 8 12 and 15 would be at the very least. As it stands right now it's not enough and we should walk or wait for better offers.

Pick 2 for 8 12 15
And Rioli for Ports future first.
We come out firm winners.
That's what some of these clubs don't get. We have to come out firm winners. We hold all the cards in this so cough up or we don't deal.

Last edited:
If this is accurate, very interesting. And we should tell them to get stuffed if it's the current offer you've mentioned - essentially Rioli is worth an upgrade from 26 to 19, and that's if you think 2 is worth 8 & 12, which I don't agree with. 38 to 15 is definitely a better upgrade - would we do 26 to 15 if something additional like a Future 2nd was thrown in?

So it'd end up like this:

WC lose: 2, 26, Rioli
WC gain: 8, 12, 15, Future 2nd
We are giving away too much.
We don't have to give our 26 at all.
Pick 2 and Rioli is more then enough for
8 12 15 and I'd negotiate future first.

Let's not just bend over. We owe these other clubs nothing.

Just to put things into context, anyone else remember a couple of years ago Sydney offered up pick 6 and 12 to Richmond for their pick 3.? That deal wasnt good enough and knocked back from Richmond and they took a kid called Dustin Martin at 3.

Now I am a fan of splitting the number 2 pick as we do need quantity over quantity I believe, but I am saying we do have a very good bargaining chip, especially when Rioli gets worked into the situation.

8,12,15 is the minimum to accept for pick 2 alone, Rioli then worth ports future 2nd at a minimum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back