List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
  • Jack Petruccelle (12/4/99) - Signed a 3 year extension (2021,2022,2023) in October 2020- EXTEND
  • Jake Waterman (6/5/98) - Signed a 3 year extension (2021,2022,2023) in October 2020-EXTEND
  • Sam Petrevski-Seton (19/2/98) - Signed a 2 year contract (2022,2023) in October 2021-DELIST
  • Luke Foley (8/10/99) - Signed a 2 year extension (2022,2023) in October 2021-DELIST
  • Xavier O’Neill (3/8/00) - Signed a 2 year extension (2022,2023) in October 2021-DELIST
  • Jack Williams (1/12/03) - Automatic 2 year contract when drafted in December 2021-EXTEND
  • Greg Clarke (24/5/97) - Automatic 2 year contract when drafted in December 2021-DELIST
  • (R) Jai Culley (24/2/03) - Nominated 18 month contract when drafted via Mid season draft 2022-EXTEND
  • Luke Shuey (2/6/90) - Signed a 1 year extension (2023) in August 2022-EXTEND
  • Alex Witherden (10/9/98) - Signed a 2 year contract (2021,2022,) in November 2020 that was extended to 2023 at some stage-DELIST
  • (R) Connor West (7/5/99) - Signed a 1 year extension (2023) as a rookie in November 2022-EXTEND
  • Shannon Hurn (4/9/87) – Signed a 1 year extension (2023) in November 2022-RETIRE
  • (R) Isiah Winder (16/5/02) - redrafted via the rookie draft in November 2022 on a 1 year deal-DELIST
  • (R) Zane Trew (26/4/02) - redrafted via the rookie draft in November 2022 on a 1 year deal-DELIST
  • (R-B) Tyrell Dewar (27/3/04) - added as a Cat B rookie in November 2022 on a 1 year deal-DELIST
  • (R-B) Jordyn Baker (10/5/04) - added as a Cat B rookie in November 2022 on a 1 year deal-DELIST
Vikings Axe GIF by THE BEARD STRUGGLE

Gotcha.

Honestly I wouldn't go for Mathieson. He's not AFL standard. He's shopped himself the last two trade periods and had no interest. He's a good VFL player, but his kick is still shocking, and so to his decision making at time.

I don't know other teams lists at all, so I don't know what other players that might be available, but from the Lions list I'd consider Robertson, Prior, and Ah Chee. They are all AFL standard, physically developed and are leaders on the field (we see this in the VFL), but each in a different way. Yes, they are all WA players, but they are currently our best players outside our best 22.

Jarryd Lyons is cooked, can still play the centre bounce and stoppages, but is incapable of spreading beyond his own arm reach.
Yep, I can't really think of appropriate players so gave examples of past players like Mitch Robbo etc. The ones you mentioned are what I'm talking about. You wouldn't ordinarily want them on your list but if our senior players can't get over whatever their problem is, maybe it's an option (an extreme last ditch option at that).

If we trade out next years first I'll spew. Its bound to be the number 1 again

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Other clubs would be aware of that too so you’d still get good value for it. If the Giants were willing to part with the 2 top 10 picks for our future first surely we’d be all over that

Given we’d potentially trade it next year anyway, this year you’re selling it at maximum value and bringing it forward a year when there’s a (slim) chance that it still may not be pick 1.

That gets you a look at both Reid and Curtain from this year plus another top 10 pick that you could split for 2 later ones.

What? Where's he going?

Not going anywhere necessarily but it’s come out today that he has an inflammatory bowel disease that may require surgery, is likely to require medication for years or possibly lifelong and a small chance it could end his career

It’ll be a while before he knows the outcome and he’s definitely out for the season

Will be an awkward decision as to whether he’s offered a contract for next year or not

I'll probably cop some blow back for this, but what is NicNat doing, while still drawing a pay cheque?

Is he training with the team, or part of the rehab group?

If he's not part of the team program, but still getting paid, imagine how some of the other playing group feel about this.

If he's doing all the normal training or rehab, ignore my comment.
Given that he was the only Eagle deserving a paycheck in 2020 and 2021 I'm not inclined to get too concerned about him being paid this year.

Not going anywhere necessarily but it’s come out today that he has an inflammatory bowel disease that may require surgery, is likely to require medication for years or possibly lifelong and a small chance it could end his career

It’ll be a while before he knows the outcome and he’s definitely out for the season

Will be an awkward decision as to whether he’s offered a contract for next year or not

Given our lack of any desire to upset anyone or make a hard call will probably get a two year deal so he can sit out the game like Rioli and vanables and clog a list spot.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not sure if joking?

• Jack Petruccelle (12/4/99) - Signed a 3 year extension (2021,2022,2023) in October 2020- EXTEND
  • Jake Waterman (6/5/98) - Signed a 3 year extension (2021,2022,2023) in October 2020-EXTEND
  • Sam Petrevski-Seton (19/2/98) - Signed a 2 year contract (2022,2023) in October 2021-DELIST
  • Luke Foley (8/10/99) - Signed a 2 year extension (2022,2023) in October 2021-DELIST
  • Xavier O’Neill (3/8/00) - Signed a 2 year extension (2022,2023) in October 2021-DELIST
  • Jack Williams (1/12/03) - Automatic 2 year contract when drafted in December 2021-EXTEND
  • Greg Clarke (24/5/97) - Automatic 2 year contract when drafted in December 2021-DELIST
  • (R) Jai Culley (24/2/03) - Nominated 18 month contract when drafted via Mid season draft 2022-EXTEND
  • Luke Shuey (2/6/90) - Signed a 1 year extension (2023) in August 2022-EXTEND
  • Alex Witherden (10/9/98) - Signed a 2 year contract (2021,2022,) in November 2020 that was extended to 2023 at some stage-DELIST
  • (R) Connor West (7/5/99) - Signed a 1 year extension (2023) as a rookie in November 2022-EXTEND
  • Shannon Hurn (4/9/87) – Signed a 1 year extension (2023) in November 2022-RETIRE
  • (R) Isiah Winder (16/5/02) - redrafted via the rookie draft in November 2022 on a 1 year deal-DELIST
  • (R) Zane Trew (26/4/02) - redrafted via the rookie draft in November 2022 on a 1 year deal-DELIST
  • (R-B) Tyrell Dewar (27/3/04) - added as a Cat B rookie in November 2022 on a 1 year deal-DELIST
  • (R-B) Jordyn Baker (10/5/04) - added as a Cat B rookie in November 2022 on a 1 year deal-DELIST
There is no way in hell petruccelli gets another contract.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

To be honest the whole team should have an inflammatory bowel disease after the reaming the Swans just gave us.

And can we please just make a Brisbane thread for that guy so I don’t have to read about Callum Ah Chee on this board?

Read the room.

If it actually is diverticulitis, he could easily be back before the end of the season.

As I said previously in another thread, a mate of mine(my old boss) had it twice in a year and at the time, he was extremely overweight, mid 40s and basically no kind of fitness level other than running around the restaurant he managed, as well as being a heavy drinker and a smoker. He was able to return to work a couple of weeks after being in hospital(for 2 weeks). the 2nd time he got it wasn't as bad, as it was a relapse and he was aware of the condition. Still spent a couple of days in hospital though.

No issues whatsoever a couple of months later.

Yes, I get there's a small chance but that chance would be very miniscule.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m hoping the club is looking to bring some solid players in their prime over the next few years. Don’t have to be superstars but even Redden like players will help a lot with the youngish list that will come through in the next couple of years. Bar Oscar and Duggan (cole as well but he dead) we really don’t have A or B grade talent in that 24-27 bracket.

Annoying to lose a player like Jake Waterman when its someone on your list worth keeping but looks like thats what will happen.

Raises the need to just get Mitch Georgiades in I suppose as a like for like swap. Now it becomes a no brainer to get him in
Dont rate him at all no defensive side to his game, average kick on goal.

There is no way in hell petruccelli gets another contract.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Prepare to be salty.

Has been nowhere near our worst this year, not that many would care to admit it. Should be re-signed, especially after impressing Simmo down back.

An article duffield wrote in code sports saying GAFF playing on next season not guaranteed.

Think it’s more of an opinion rather than any actual intel though

Apart from the three mentioned, Andrew Gaff, despite having the lucrative last year of a contract to run in 2024, could be under threat after struggling for form all season.

Prepare to be salty.

Has been nowhere near our worst this year, not that many would care to admit it. Should be re-signed, especially after impressing Simmo down back.
You cannot be serious.

Certainly he has not been the worst but he should not be a priority to be re-signed.

The fact that there are so many ahead of him on the chopping block may see him get a 1 year deal, but its not on the back of him deserving one as he is not AFL standard despite playing over 60 games and being on the list around 6 seasons.

I love this club as much as anyone and appreciate all the things our club great have done.

But all these suggestions that ‘we need to keep some seniors around to help the kids’, we’ve just had them there for the past 2-3 years and they’ve lead us to 100+ point losses if they aren’t injured. They’ve had their chance, time to move on.

Hawthorn was ridiculed for doing this at the start of the season and are turning it around quickly and giving experience to kids and fast tracking their development.

If we have a team of kids what’s the worst that can happen? Lose by 170?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

They’ve had their chance, time to move on.

They will be moved on.

The question is which ones and which timeframe. And I assume the following due to contracts still to run

Post Season - Tier 1;
Hurn, Shuey

Season 2024 - Tier 2;
Gaff, Nic Nat

Season 2025 - Tier 3;
McGovern, Cripps,

Add in a mix of Darling, Yeo and Kelly somewhere in Tier 3 or the following year. As for my opinion I would be letting go of Nic Nat and Gaff at the end of this year.

Not going to read through the last 394 pages of the thread… but if Sydney wants Barrass, would we send him and our second or third pick to Sydney for their first rounder if it’s a top 10? Obviously he needs to want to go, but then we’d have two inside ten picks… and if we were to trade pick 1 to say GWS, could end up being 3 consecutive picks under 10. That’s something good top end talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back