List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
Annoying to lose a player like Jake Waterman when its someone on your list worth keeping but looks like thats what will happen.

Raises the need to just get Mitch Georgiades in I suppose as a like for like swap. Now it becomes a no brainer to get him in
Yeah Jake won't be getting a new contract. His been floating around in the fringe of our list for years. Sometimes he will pop up for a good game and shown lot of potential. His a hard one but his been a tease and with this disease his got now it's not going to be good for us keeping him on our list with being out all the time. Can't go another season with players out all the time. For a player that was 50/50 at getting a contract this pretty much has sealed his fate.

Other clubs would be aware of that too so you’d still get good value for it. If the Giants were willing to part with the 2 top 10 picks for our future first surely we’d be all over that

Given we’d potentially trade it next year anyway, this year you’re selling it at maximum value and bringing it forward a year when there’s a (slim) chance that it still may not be pick 1.

That gets you a look at both Reid and Curtain from this year plus another top 10 pick that you could split for 2 later ones.

Trading next years 1st is risky as next years draft has alot of good mids, and this draft not somuch.

Only way you rade it is if we get another 2024 top 10 pick back plus more.

Pay out all the contracts and get rid of all players over 28, don't care who they are. No long term contracts any more anyone over 27 gets a one year contract. If they don't like it move on.

To this end if Nic can play he must be kept.
He can't play . He is too fat and perma injured . Achilles injuries are not going to get better , enough to be match fit without a massive turn around in his diet.

The fact we gave him a 2 year deal after he was in such bad shape last year is exactly why the club is in a hole .

Who cares about his marketing factor we have so much money already

He can't play . He is too fat and perma injured . Achilles injuries are not going to get better , enough to be match fit without a massive turn around in his diet.

The fact we gave him a 2 year deal after he was in such bad shape last year is exactly why the club is in a hole .

He needs to go totally agree

Other clubs would be aware of that too so you’d still get good value for it. If the Giants were willing to part with the 2 top 10 picks for our future first surely we’d be all over that

Given we’d potentially trade it next year anyway, this year you’re selling it at maximum value and bringing it forward a year when there’s a (slim) chance that it still may not be pick 1.

That gets you a look at both Reid and Curtain from this year plus another top 10 pick that you could split for 2 later ones.
At some stage I'd really like us to take the best available player, either this year or next, could even be the year after at this rate

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's really sad that as supporters we are being caught in the crosshairs of feeling shamed for wanting stalwarts removed but at the same time feeling frustrated that these stalwarts are incapable of facing realty.

There's no doubt Luke Shuey has been a top tier servant, a premiership hero and a gift to us fans over the journey. Great player, great attitude, great output. He'll be a Hall of Fame clubman and in my view is Best 22 All-time.

BUT

What is also not in doubt for me is that Shuey has lost all sense of perspective if he thinks he is any chance to contribute on field in any meaningful way after 2023.

HIS BODY SIMPLY IS NOT UP TO IT ANYMORE.

The club is not looking for a 10-15 game veteran to oversee development. The club is not looking for a player who will finish 2 of those 10-15 games on the bench with injury and having left the side 1 down for the game. The club is not looking for someone to spend half the year in rehab and for an underdeveloped kid to be battling in the seniors in order to make up the numbers.

As it stands right now, there is nothing to lose with a retirement announcement. Give the supporters one clear sign of what lies on the path ahead. Be a leader, be realistic, have perspective and call it.

You cannot be serious.

Certainly he has not been the worst but he should not be a priority to be re-signed.

The fact that there are so many ahead of him on the chopping block may see him get a 1 year deal, but its not on the back of him deserving one as he is not AFL standard despite playing over 60 games and being on the list around 6 seasons.
Theres about 3 that would be priorities to re- sign, there'll be a few more that will get contracts that in a team thats up and about wouldnt, petch fits into the second group.

1st game at optus next year huge motor cade with all our retirees have to be at least 10 cars to hold them all. So make sure we are all at the 1st Game to give them a big farewell.

Sheed can piss off too look at this campaigner , that's a bloke that DGAF anymore
View attachment 1723225
Sheed has never had any defensive effort.in a team thats winning , and has the yeos,shueys and reddens doing the heavy lifting he can be carried.
Thats not the case anymore
He'd be the one I'd want to trade out the most.

It's really sad that as supporters we are being caught in the crosshairs of feeling shamed for wanting stalwarts removed but at the same time feeling frustrated that these stalwarts are incapable of facing realty.

There's no doubt Luke Shuey has been a top tier servant, a premiership hero and a gift to us fans over the journey. Great player, great attitude, great output. He'll be a Hall of Fame clubman and in my view is Best 22 All-time.

BUT

What is also not in doubt for me is that Shuey has lost all sense of perspective if he thinks he is any chance to contribute on field in any meaningful way after 2023.

HIS BODY SIMPLY IS NOT UP TO IT ANYMORE.

The club is not looking for a 10-15 game veteran to oversee development. The club is not looking for a player who will finish 2 of those 10-15 games on the bench with injury and having left the side 1 down for the game. The club is not looking for someone to spend half the year in rehab and for an underdeveloped kid to be battling in the seniors in order to make up the numbers.

As it stands right now, there is nothing to lose with a retirement announcement. Give the supporters one clear sign of what lies on the path ahead. Be a leader, be realistic, have perspective and call it.
Whilst I don't necessarily disagree, he was still our best player on the weekend, which is an indictment on the other senior players.

I love this club as much as anyone and appreciate all the things our club great have done.

But all these suggestions that ‘we need to keep some seniors around to help the kids’, we’ve just had them there for the past 2-3 years and they’ve lead us to 100+ point losses if they aren’t injured. They’ve had their chance, time to move on.

Hawthorn was ridiculed for doing this at the start of the season and are turning it around quickly and giving experience to kids and fast tracking their development.

If we have a team of kids what’s the worst that can happen? Lose by 170?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Senior players do go a long way. They mentor and protect kids from have to compete against elite seasoned footballers by themselves.

But there's clearly a cancer with our senior group and it's been there since 2019. I suspect Simmo is largely responsible because of his reluctance to use the stick, and him allowing them to be unfit.

If Simmo goes near the end of the season, or at the end of the season, we'll be able to see if these guys can be reinvigorated. There's a chance they are cooked, regardless.

If this case we need to fire sale and delist and use late picks to get some experience yet fringe players for later draft picks. Players like Mitch Robinson in his last few years - not great, but cheap, and will leave no stone unturned while our young players transition into being able to compete with the AFL's elite.

Whilst I don't necessarily disagree, he was still our best player on the weekend, which is an indictment on the other senior players.

I agree he was good on the weekend.

But I have no confidence he can repeat this week.

Recent history says there is more chance of an injury than a repeated performance.

We need to start going with probabilities...

Not going to read through the last 394 pages of the thread… but if Sydney wants Barrass, would we send him and our second or third pick to Sydney for their first rounder if it’s a top 10? Obviously he needs to want to go, but then we’d have two inside ten picks… and if we were to trade pick 1 to say GWS, could end up being 3 consecutive picks under 10. That’s something good top end talent

Maybe you should at least read the last 20 pages. That is a horrible trade.

If you can stomach it watch a replay of the swans game. I did write 'if he can play'- thats 6 months away.

The worse the team is, the harder Shuey goes at it to compensate for the efforts and abilities of others and then he's more likely to do a soft tissue injury.

Same sort of issue with Yeo although he's probably less prone to doing little injuries with regularity.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Not going to read through the last 394 pages of the thread… but if Sydney wants Barrass, would we send him and our second or third pick to Sydney for their first rounder if it’s a top 10? Obviously he needs to want to go, but then we’d have two inside ten picks… and if we were to trade pick 1 to say GWS, could end up being 3 consecutive picks under 10. That’s something good top end talent
Great idea. With a bit of luck we could pick up a potential KPD who might become a club champion.

Great idea. With a bit of luck we could pick up a potential KPD who might become a club champion.
I'd swap Barrass for #6 in a heartbeat. Probably one of Curtin, Caddy, Duursma are available. Then I go spend a 4th rounder on someone like Melican, or some other fringe player. Because we know in the next 3 drafts we will find a KPD with a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back